Canon vs Nikon

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

danet

Canon vs Nikon

Post by danet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm

I have been comparing 2 specific cameras (pricewise in an affordable price bracket) side by side, (Canon 600D vs Nikon D5100) and also on a website called 'snapsort' to compare as to which one would be better. Although I have Canon eos lenses, I went and bought a Nikon, for something different, as I have had Canons for a long time.
So, now I have the body, I thought, just get an adapter ring for the canon lens to fit the Nikon...right?.....wrong :?
Apparently, adaptor rings are availalbe for Nikon lens to fit Canon cameras, but not the other way around.
So now I am looking for a Tamron 18mm-250mm to fit the Nikon, so on ebay, they are there, for just over $200, whereas in the camera stores here in Oz, they retail for over $400.

But, as I have also just found out, lenses ain't lenses.....the Canon camera body has a built in motor and can take a lens with no motor, but the Nikon body has no motor, and the lens has to be motorized......gee.....glad I didn't buy just any ole Tamron lens. I will get this right, but perhaps, now I am feeling a little regret I didn't get the Canon instead?

Well, once I get it all together for this Nikon, that will be the exciting part....discovery of a new camera. I will report back here, with pictures, of my conclusion in due course.

Then....I saw the Sony.....oh dear.....(talking to self)...stop looking at cameras! Lucky I don't change cars like I do cameras! :lol:

danet

Re: Canon vs Nikon

Post by danet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Well if I could, I would dearly love to try them all out. So I am starting to change cameras around....sold my Lumix FZ100 and Sony HX9V, ended up getting a Nikon D5100 with 18-200mm Tamron lens, and today, I just received my new compact Lumix TZ30.

I realized I had developed a bad habit of not holding the camera too steady with the in built stabilizers, anti blur this, and whatnot....so with the DSLR, I had to unlearn bad habits, and re-learn good habits.
With the Lumix TZ30, it is a nice compact, with a 20 optical zoom. I found it takes better indoor and flash photos than the HX9V...this camera used to look too 'reddish' with indoor photos.
So it was good to sell them whilst still available in the shops and able to get a good price for them.

So now I have a DSLR and a compact only. Yeah...down to 2 cameras only :P
I received the Lumix today and took some photos, macro of a tiny litle daisy in the grass.....I was practically touching it with the glass lens!
So I guess I do change cameras often...after all :lol:

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Hmmm, its hard to pick a camera to suit your needs and its hard to know what’s good and will actually suit what you want to do when no one can tell you the difference...

Cameras are like a secret society.. they’ll continue to confuse you so that you continue to change your camera’s over...

Canon build great camera’s...
Canon build their own lenses...

Nikon build great camera’s..
Nikon don’t build their own lenses...
That’s not to say Nikon lenses are no good... they can be...

Most kit Lenses are exactly that... KIT LENSES....

Sony say that they don’t have KIT lenses because the lens that comes in the KIT are too good to be kit lenses... and some of them are...

Sensor size is your guide to a good camera...
Most basic DSLR cameras run APS sensors...
Professional DSLRs are full 35 mill...

Get a lens that is around 18 to 50 with an fstop of 2.8... f2.8 – etc
Get a Zoom lens of around 50 to 200 or higher with and fstop of F2.8 with a sonic drive motor...

http://www.tamron.com.au/di70-200_a009.html

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

danet

Post by danet » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

I did end up getting a Nikon D5100, for something different, as I have always had Canon's.
I ended up getting a Tamron 18-200mm lens, a special UV filter, and one of the best SD cards (Sandisc pro-extreme), my latest is a 32 gb card. And I also have a spare battery.
Having read the instructions and learning online I have come to know the camera a bit better and take more risks with photos in manual mode, and other modes, to see how the camera performs.
Just clicking away, is the way to learn, it seems. Then study the photos on the computer monitor to see it more clearly.

danet

Post by danet » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:12 am

Here is an update of my ever changing cameras :lol:

I sold the Nikon d5100 and opted for the Nikon d5200, mainly because it is 24mp compared to 16mp (even though I can minimize the mp to take more photos on the sd card if I need to withougt jepadizing the quality), and it has far more focus points than the d5100. (39 compared to 11).

And as for my Pana Lumix tz30, a month out of the year I owned it, and the thing had a huge malfunction, the zoom lens does not work, comes up as error zoom. :(

Well, looks like I only have the Nikon d5200 for now, so I am expanding on it's accessories.
My next want is a portrait lens, either 35 mm or 50mm (what they call 'nifty fifty') with a f1.8 aperature.
This would be an amazing little lens for night scenes, as well as portraits, without using the flash.
Most lenses are approx f3.5 onwards.
Will let you know how it goes once I get it :D

As for still wanting a nice compact and not having to lug the big DSLR around all the time, I still have my old Kodak 4mp camera I bought back in the mid 2000's.

I had taken some good snaps with that camera, including the Maheno Shipwreck on Frazer Island, to which I entered that photo at the Lilydale Show, and I received highly commendable certificate.
Wow, I thought, and when I said to the judges I had taken that photo with a 4 mp camera in 2006, they were amazed.

Catch you all later in a snap.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:55 am

You only need a huge amount of pixels if you intend printing very large photos. The D5200 is an excellent
camera and great value for money I'm sure you'll get some great results from it.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 am

I have recently bought a new lens for my Nikon, it's a fixed 35 mm portrait lens and great low light photography with an f-stop of 1.8 :D

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:11 am

danet wrote:I have recently bought a new lens for my Nikon, it's a fixed 35 mm portrait lens and great low light photography with an f-stop of 1.8 :D
I've recently bought a Sigma 35mm f1.4 A series lens, it's fantastic and lives up to all of the rave reports I've seen on youtube. :wink:

'Fixed' lens, I'm assuming that you mean a 'Prime' lens :D
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Yes, I meant the focal lens is fixed :) You know, I did write a reply to Markofpity, and it's not there? Will try again.

Return to “The Photo Shop”