'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I have just bought a Canon DSLR, and when I was unpacking my purchases, I found that the shop had included a 'free' packet of LCD screen protectors, the sort where you cut them to size and then apply them to the screen, Can any of you camera owners tell me if you think they are a good thing, or should I just not use them? Any advice would be appreciated.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 pm

I don't use them myself, my camera came with one already on but I removed it
after a while. If you are careful with your equipment you shouldn't need them
but you've nothing to lose by using them, if you choose.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Mr Smith for your quick response.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 am

Hi Ralph.
Yes, I have used them on my cameras, as I do use my camera a lot and it tends to be jostled around a bit, I don't mind the protective sticky cover on my lcd screen. Maybe a camera doesn't need it, but I prefer it so I don't scratch the actual screen, just in case. I don't find it a nuisance, and it doesn't obcure the visuals in any way. That's all it is for, just protecting your screen from any scuff marks etc.
You can remove them at any time and they don't seem leave any sticky residual mess behind.
It's really all a matter of personal preference. I think I will always use them, just for my own peace of mind, coz I use the cam and take a zillion photos always, and sometimes hand the camera to someone else to take pics for me so I can be in the picture sometimes.
Try it, and if you don't mind it on your lcd screen, then leave it on there, but if you don't like it, remove it. To get it free in your package is pretty good, usually it is a few dollars to buy them lcd screen protectors from the camera stores.

BTW Ralph.....really look forward to seeing some pics from you soon, from your new DSLR :D

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:31 am

Forgot to mention, if your screen protector gets scuffy after a while, or the corners start to peel off or kink, you can always remove it, and replace it with another. That's the good thing about it, at least it is easy to remove. To apply, you have to be a bit more careful, and get it in exactly the position you like it to be placed, and then smooth out any air bubbles with a soft cloth.

So, what type of canon dslr is it Ralph?

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 am

danet wrote: So, what type of canon dslr is it Ralph?
It's a Canon EOS 600D. :wink:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:35 am

How did you know Mr. Smith? Unless I missed something if it was mentioned elsewhere (which is easy for me :lol: )
A canon 600D, now that's the next one up from that fab 550d with the most amazing good reviews, but the 600D has a swivel screen, which is awesome, I love those swivel out screens, and use it so very often.

Can't wait to see the pics that Ralph takes, and what he thinks of the camera 8)

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:32 am

Well danet, his 600D has much higher specs than my 400D but at the moment
he is using the kit lens (18-55mm IS) which came with the camera, and no it
has not been mentioned before what camera he has, you should know by now
how I glean this information. :D
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 pm

:D You're a marvel Mr. Smith!

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes Mr Smith, you are amazing. I too wondered how you knew, as when you bring up 'properties' on a photo other than on your own computer, it doesn't seem to show the camera used - well done :D .

I spent weeks wondering which camera to buy. In my heart, I suppose I wanted a full 35mm sensor, but that wracked up the cost considerably, and as most times I will probably end up cropping the photos, I pondered whether the extra expense was worth it, and decided to go for the Canon 600D. Even that caused some thought to be given, as most of the spec seems very like the 500 and 550D. In the end, I think it was the swivel lcd screen that swung it.(No pun intended) :lol:

I did not intend to buy an extra lens at the time of purchase, again to keep costs down, but I was like a kid in a sweet shop and kept telling myself I was going to feel 'restricted'. Again, after reading lots of reviews, I decided that a Tamron AF 70 -300mm zoom with a 1:2 macro (I know it's not true macro) would suffice. At £119.00, it was affordable, and in the reviews, it scored well, not reaching excellence at any focal length, but being good at all. I feel sure that to reach the very high standards the reviewers are looking for, you probably need highly technical equipment to measure the difference. I haven't tried it out properly yet, but unlike the kit lens I bought with the camera, it doesn't have 'image stabilisation' so best results at the longer focal lengths will probably best when a tripod is used.

I had always used a Canon AE 1, for which I have a full set of lenses, now almost consigned (like so many more) to a storage cupboard, and for the last couple of years had been using a Lumix 10 Mega Pixel compact, which is a good little camera - but when I got onto these boards and saw some of the lovely work being displayed, I knew I had to go back to a SLR camera, though I suspect age dictates it will be my last big up-date. I'm not up to the standard of the many knowledgeable and talented photographers we have on these boards, so please don't hold your breath, but it will be nice to have an interest shared by others.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Ralph, this is a photo I took a couple of years ago using my 10 megapixel 400D
and the kit 18-55mm (no IS) lens. The photo is cropped from the original full
size image.

Image

This is a further crop of the above photo to show you the sort of detail you
can get from a 10 megapixel camera using the basic 18-55mm lens. You have
18 megapixels so even using the kit lens you should be able to get high quality
photos.

Image
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by ralph » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 pm

The photo and the second cropped image demonstate your point so very well - a lovely subject and excellent results. As you have said, the camera can only do so much, the rest has to be done by the photographer. I'm really looking forward to learning how to get the best out of the camera, and hoping to find the subjects to to make the photos interesting.

It's really great that we can pass these images about so quickly now - I'm so glad that I took to the new technology, I have lots of friends of my own age who just will not even try to get to grips with a computer. They miss out on so much.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25110
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by sherri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 pm

danet wrote::D You're a marvel Mr. Smith!
ralph wrote:Yes Mr Smith, you are amazing. I too wondered how you knew, as when you bring up 'properties' on a photo other than on your own computer, it doesn't seem to show the camera used - well done :D .

.
Mr Smith wrote: and no it
has not been mentioned before what camera he has, you should know by now
how I glean this information. :D
You have to hand it to MrSmith.
He has the powers. :D
I hereby award him this badge.
Wear it with pride, Smithy. :wink:
Image

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Elementary my dear fans, elementary. :lol:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25110
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by sherri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I knew you'd like it. :D :lol:

PS Good photo earlier by the way. I liked the way the eyes still looked clear in close up.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:34 pm

sherri wrote:
PS Good photo earlier by the way. I liked the way the eyes still looked clear in close up.
Just imagine how large a sharp clear photo could be printed from that shot.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25110
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by sherri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:41 pm

I know. I'm jealous.
A few years back, I used a camera to take photos of my daughter's 21st birthday. I was pretty pleased with them but when i went off to have them developed I was told the size was so small that if I had them made into normal photo(postcard) size, they would be blurry. Apparently they were only good enough for a very tiny size. :(
It was only a 2 megapixel camera but even so, I think I had it on the wrong settings. :?
I probably shouldn't be poking my head onto any board for photographers or serious camera chat, but what the heck, I might learn something. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by ralph » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Sherri, I think the advice given by our resident experts is good for all of us who own a camera, and want to get that bit extra from it. I'm certainly finding finding people most helpful. =D> =D> =D>

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 pm

ralph wrote:Sherri, I think the advice given by our resident experts is good for all of us who own a camera, and want to get that bit extra from it. I'm certainly finding finding people most helpful. =D> =D> =D>
I'm going to stop offering help, some of those I've helped are now producing better
photos than me. :evil:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: 'Stick on' LCD Screen Protectors

Post by danet » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 am

Mr. Smith, that means a teacher that produces a better student doing better results, means you are the better teacher 8)
One thing I had always been happy about, when teaching classical music on piano, was that the students would excell, far better than what I could do, as once they learnt the basics, and built up from that, then they followed their own creative paths, and that's what it's all about. I was proud to be invited to concerts where some of my past students would be performing 8)

Post Reply

Return to “The Photo Shop”