What Camera? ...

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

What Camera? ...

Post by Blue... » Sat May 21, 2011 7:52 am

when one is buying a good camera one needs to know exactly what a good camera is and how to identify it... right?

but I tell you.. its a mine field out there in the camera world and every one of them are shoving Megapixels down your throat making you think that the higher the pixels the better the camera and picture quality...

This is all horseshit of course... and reviews make you non the wiser... :roll:

you may have a superzoom camera that sounds all good in theory with all sorts of gimmicky gadgets on the camera from face recognition to even pet recognition etc etc... like what? who here can’t recognise someone’s face or pet? ... maybe if you can’t you shouldn’t even have a camera in your hands in the first place...

so here’s a tip that may help you out in purchasing your next camera... look for the size of the SENSOR...

image quality = sensor size (as a rough but good guide)

you will find that your travel zooms and superzooms don’t have any bigger sensors than that of a compact camera... all you are doing is paying for all of the stupid gadgets that they have on them like I was saying above... you may be able to zoom in better with the superzooms but picture quality is no better than a compact...

not that there’s anything wrong with a compact camera image... if zooming in you may end up with a worse picture due to shake... the more zoom the more shake etc... you know what im talking about...

so when looking for a camera, you need to know what you are looking for, as in, what you are going to use it for... ie, whether its just snaps around the house, a holiday camera that can zoom in on landmarks etc x15 zoom, or even if you need to zoom up to x35 with a superzoom... or... if you are looking for superior quality and zoom..

so, in terms of image quality (IQ) starting from the bottom... compact, travel zoom and super zoom camera’s all share the same size Sensors and therefore share the same IQ.... only difference being of how far you can ZOOM in etc....

now step up to an “Advanced Compact Camera”... larger Sensors, about twice the size of your basic compact... you’ll find that they are a non b*llshit type of camera only running a 3 to 5 x zoom or thereabouts and around 10 megapixels which is good enough to blow up pictures to A3 in size or better... camera’s like the Canon G12 and S95, Nikon P7000, Olympus ZX1, Panasonic LX5, Richo GRD111 and the Samsung EX1 ... btw... the Cannon G12 has automatic HDR if you are that way inclined.. set it to HDR (on a tripod of course) focus and click.. it’ll take one normal then one stop up and one stop down then join the three pictures together for a superior picture... clever huh?

then, you can go to the “Elite Compacts” with bigger sensors again, but, are very pricey... Leica X1, Sigma DP1x and DP2.. Fujifilm X100...

with the DSLR’s Canon and Nikon are the kings so now the other brands (Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung and Sony) are developing a new type level of camera... the CSC (Compact System Camera)
they are using ¾ or the APS-C variant sensors that puts them on par with DSLR’s.... they are like a compact camera with interchangeable lenses.. and just as expensive as some DSLR’s too!!!

But like I was saying above... you have to know “what” you want to use that camera for in the first place... then by using the above information... you should be able to select the camera that you will be happy with... well... I hope it helps anyways.. :D

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

danet

Re: What Camera? ...

Post by danet » Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 am

This is what I like, a good read about sensor sizes, and yes, it does make the difference, I have to admit, I have a super zoom middle range camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ100), and it does have a small sensor, so zooming in to crop photos isn't as pleasing as I would have liked, but it does take some awesome zoom photos, and good daytime photos.

That last photo of that Sony camera in your post, is the one my daughter's friend got from her parents for her 21st recently, and she let me have a session with it, and as it was night time, indoors, I took photos without the flash, to see what the low light situation is like with these types of cameras, and, what you see, is what you get, simple as that, if someone is under a light, and a half shadow is cast on their face, that is exactly the photo you get, so that was amazing.
And then it takes that fast progressive shoot, so you just press, and do a spin, and you have quite a few photos as you moved about. Quite an amazing camera.

Price is what makes it for me, and these cameras are approx $1000, whereas I don't like to spend more than $500-600.

The one I am looking at is a Sony cyber-shot HX9V, a compact camera of around $500, as it has panaroma sweep, 3D, and 16 optical zoom. I also believe it takes good 'low light' photos, which is what I am after.

I still hesitate, because I am not quite sure what the sensor size of it is, and lately, I have been going into camera stores to look at and feel one, but they don't have much Sony at present, since the Tsunami had washed away the business that made and put together the parts for these cameras, so big Sony has been re-calling back their cameras to re-sell for higher prices as there are very few of them left.
So I am led to believe.

And so, to find out the sensor size, is a bit of an issue, as I don't think many of the sales persons would know, and I believe, that every camera, should therefore not only have the mega pixel size, optical zoom level, and price, stated on their info sale card, but also the sensor size too.

I think that would educate a lot of people that would be unaware of what sensor size vs mega pixel size is all about.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am

I believe that the HX9’s have the same sensor size at the HX100 (I think its called) .. which is basically in the same range as any compact, as I was saying above.. but, probably on the higher end of the sensor range...

I’d put the HX9 in the class of the Travel Zoom camera’s.. and there’s nothing wrong with that but in this range they seem to pack the camera with goodies rather than a larger sensor...

So the HX9 has some goodies on it, the panorama, 3D and zoom lens with image stabiliser.. that's what you are paying for... but if you wanted a better quality picture you’d go to something like the canon G12 which has the bigger sensor... but then again, it doesn’t have the bigger zoom etc...

Surely it can’t be that hard to make a camera that does the lot!!

But the HX9 has a lot of goodies on it plus a sensor that's marginally bigger than a compact so I would expect it would still take great pictures....

danet

Post by danet » Mon May 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Apparently so, but as you said, the more they cram into a small camera, something has to give, and it seems the sensor size gives, but like you ask, why can't they just add them all into one nice compact camera?
Reason I like the HX9V is because it is a smallish compact all rounder with a good 16 optical zoom, good for travelling in my handbag in general. Like today for instance, I saw an amazing site in Lilydale, the autumn leaves all over the footpath and road, and the wet rain made the colour so intense, it was just beautiful, and I didn't have a camera on me :?
My other camera, the FZ100, is a bit on the bulky side, even though it is smaller than the Canon 450D I had, but I do miss the SLR, and I am thinking of selling the FZ100 and getting a Sony Alpha A55, or, maybe a Pentax KX......both seem pretty good by the reviews. I still would not mind going back to a canon SLR 600d, with a new swivel LCD screen now. I just love the swivel screen, it is so handy for akward angles :D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon May 23, 2011 10:41 pm

From everything that I've read on DSLRs, Cannon or your Nikon are the ones to get... I have an old film SLR Pentax MZ50 and when the last comet was going past I tried to get some shots.... as I hadn’t used it in a long time things seem to have frozen up on it and the timing wasn’t going right etc... so there’s something wrong with it... but it was a very good camera up until then... i also wasted a roll of flim and printing costs for nothing... :roll:

As far as compacts go.... like you, I wish I had mine on the weekend when I was down at Camperdown... all the leaves were falling off the avenue trees in the breeze... it is a beautiful time of year down there... and any compact I buy has to fit in my Leather Jacket as I nearly always carry it when out on the motorcycle...

My current sony compact has a three times zoom and I've been wondering if I really do need any more than that... if the answer is no then I’d most likely go for the Canon G12 ...

Another camera that has caught my eye is the Canon PowerShot SX30IS superzoom which has a 35x zoom... wow! Right? ... I think that equates to an 840mm lens... but again, how would picture quality go with the small sensor size, which, is in the upper end of the compact range mind you...

The other thing that is annoying me a bit at the moment is all the camera’s offering HD movines... seems to be a big push with it all... maybe I just can’t get my head around it at this stage... but then again, I've been thinking about getting a new digital video camera for our next big trip.. maybe I don’t need to if a camera can take a good HD movie... just need a bigger SD card and kill two birds with one...?

I think I've come to the conclusion that I need around 3 cameras .... yes, that should do it ;)

danet

Post by danet » Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 am

:lol: @ 3 cameras. Actually, I have this inner secret desire to have many cameras, or at least have access to any of them and try them all to decide! But for now, price (affordability) and going by internet reviews are the main things I go by.

Re: camera film development, did you know, that Camera House offer a $4 only to develop your roll of negatives, so then you can scan and see which ones are worth getting printed out as photos. That is exactly what I did recently with an old roll of film I found laying around the place I forgot about. And thank goodness, it was not very good, and glad I didn't wast too much money on getting the photos developed as well.

And yes, I hav noticed they also cram the FULL HD into each of these cameras as well as a GPS! So why can't they just offer cameras without all these, and put in the bigger sensor in them cheaper smaller compacts instead. That would be ideal.

I have my mind made up on a camera, then go in and see others in the camera store, and then come out confused again. It's almost like I can't make up my mind what I want. The reason is price too, I like to not spend too much, if I were being paid for photos, then I would get something really professional like the top end Pentax, (forgot which one now) or the canon mark 11 5d but both going around the $3000 mark with some basic lenses, but photos are phenominal.....even though they are both so big and heavy, probably the middle sizes like the Sony Alpha A55 is what gets my attention more, as it seems to suit my hands, being smaller, and you really do need to go in and hold these cameras, to see what feels comfortable, because after a while, if you take many photos, and your hand feels sore or tired, the camera most likely does not suit.

All these things to have in mind when buying a camera.
I am almost settled on the Sony A55, now, just waiting for prices to come down a bit more :D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

danet wrote::lol: @ 3 cameras. :D
lol what are you laughing at... if it wasn't for the mrs i'd get away with it too.. i just need some justifications ;)

i've already got the DSLR, Sony compact, and SLR Pentax...

but that needs to change to Nikon D40 (better not press my luck to change that one just yet) ... i'd get the Canon G12 or something slightly slimmer ( i haven't held one yet and i hear that they are a little bulky), and, the Canon Superzoom SX30... ... i don't ask for much :D ....

Return to “The Photo Shop”