Some wedding snaps.

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

danet

Some wedding snaps.

Post by danet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 am

Well I had a chance to see how my new digi cam went with wedding photos, and taking photos at odd angles, being in amidst the guests, and to not get in anyone's way of their photo taking, I think I did okay as a challenge of positions for photography! I am ever so grateful I had a zoom lens, that made the difference, 24 optical zoom with double anti shake is an absolute must. I want to share some that I took (over 430!)....but I will only put up a few, to show how I experimented with the grainy b&w, retro (bright cheapish looking colours of the 60's), and pinhole. Another feature I loved about my new cam, is the swivel out lcd screen, so you can see yourself and others for 'self photo' :D Some were a good laugh, as I looked to see everyone in the background looking in and doing all sorts of thumbs up or cheesy grins....it's so good to have fun with cameras like this.

at a vineyard of course, and the day was magnificent weather!

one of my fave b&w grainy photos capturing a big cheesy grin on the celebrant

I snuck behind the vine leaves to get this pic

the bubbles really show up across the photo in this pinhole capture

good to take photos of guests blowing bubbles after the ceremony

very retro colours of the 60's, don't you think 8) a bit gawdy, but I love it!

some pics of details is good

and capturing some magic on the spur moments of the flower girl and page boy

musicians

table setting

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Some wedding snaps.

Post by westoelad » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Looks like a decent alrounder there danet, not sure about the vignette effect on some of the shots - seems to loose a little of the detail and atmosphere of the shot. but, the rest are nice and sharp with good contrast, like you say hours of fun to be had :)

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Some lovely shots there, danet. I particularly like the scene in photo 3. great outlook.

danet

Post by danet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 am

Yes I do know what you mean Westoelad, re loss of detail in those types of vignette effects.....which is why I took over 400 pics in both ways, normal colour and experimental....sometimes it has a subdued formal softer look about it, a bit different, and I am probably 99% sure I would have been the only one that did that type of effect out of all the other happy snappers :lol: But one thing comes to mind, it probably is best to take the photo in it's normal colour mode, and then have the original photo aside, and copy to make all types of effects probably much the same, in photoshop, so the original photo is still full colour with all details therein.

But I took a risk doing all that because I wasn't the main photographer, or the only photographer, so it was okay to muck about with it 8) I will put in some of the more clearer shots below, the one of the 3 yr old page boy is such a fresh clear photo, captivating such a beautiful smile.....talk about a lucky shot! And that's the beaut thing about digi cams.........take so many, even in burst mode, for that 'one' that is just really worth it.

I recall, when I used to have just a film camera, how careful I used to be not to 'waste' any shots, and always chose my moments and events.....used to make one roll of film last between 4-8 weeks! And I used to be so envious of the professionals with their dark rooms, that could take a million shots and get those perfect photos they needed....wishing I could have, but with film price and processing costs of development, it wasn't something most of us did. But, now with digital......the sky's the limit! :D Actually, there is no 'limit' :lol:

I love the casual feel about this, it was just a moment the groom's dad's friend put his arm around his shoulders, and I thought what a nice relaxed look it had.

Amazing sunny weather it was that day, the weekend before was so dismal and raining, and this weekend after, is the same, rain, hail and dismally wet and cloudy, what an amazing day weather wise it was....talk about choosing a lucky day in the future for it, the guests were in awe of the beautiful scenery.

danet

Post by danet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:51 am

This next pic, may not look like much of a composition, but it was such a random quick one I took, here I was, behind the vine plants, trying not to get my high heels embedded into the soft grassy ground, but I was in the right spot to captivate such an important split second in time, both mother-in-laws congratulating and hugging a "welcome to the family" hug to their new son/daughter in law. Very casual looking pic, but has a lot of meaning.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:39 am

How right you are about digi photography, the only limit can be the size of your capture medium or how many spares you can afford!

Crackin' shot of the little page boy - the kind that ends up framed on everyones mantle piece =D>

What better way to sign your freedom away :lol: on the top of a beer barrel priceless :lol:

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:25 pm

some nice pics there danet but im finding a few of them a little dark...

i've had a very quick play with this shot to lighten it with PSP... the original file is small so not a lot can be done with it without getting a lot of noise in it... still, even with reduced noise it came out ok and a little lighter so that you can see the subject better...

im also wondering if you had the camera on an economy setting keeping the pixels low

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

danet

Post by danet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm

That looks really good Bluey! I know what you mean about it looking a bit dark, the different creative setting was 'pinhole' and maybe I should have set the exposure level higher so it had more light and colour? It's a new camera and this was my real first good play with all the new settings. But I do love what you did with that photo! I might have to give you the job of doing some more of them for me, or else, teach me here how you did it (dummies guide is okay with me :D ).

I just did some experimental shots with the exposure settings with the pinhole, and yes, it does make a difference. I will do it with some flowers tomorrow in daylight hours, and see what results I come up with. 8)

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Aah, I was wondering about the pinhole as to whether your camera did it or you did it later with computer software...

The best way is to play around with it using different settings..... as it’s a good camera even if you put it on pinhole it should still have a good enough light setting to produce good results just on Auto...

When I was down in Tasmania at the start of the year at Russell’s falls I had a go with a couple of compacts helping a couple of ladies take nice pictures of the water falls with their cameras... I was able to put them on manual and adjust the light settings etc before I even took the picture.... I can’t do that with my SLR so I was quite impressed with the compacts..

With the SLR I have to take multiple pictures reviewing them after the shot to see if I have the exposure right...

In wedding pictures like that using a compact I’d probably use two settings... Portrait, so that you get the subjects in focus and that blurred type background that's out of focus... and, scenic, so that both the subject and scenery are in focus...

The computer software can be hard to use... you can get Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop... well, that's two of them among many but they are the popular two... I often see tips and tricks for the Photoshop.. it seems more popular...

But for all they can do, I mainly use the auto adjustments like “one step photo fix” – just press one button or “one step noise remover” – again, you just push one button to adjust your picture... if you don’t like the result then just click the “back” button...

danet

Post by danet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks Bluey, will take those tips into consideration re: the photo shops and all the camera settings too. Each camera has it's own flaws and positives, my dream has always been to own as many different latest cameras as possible and to just click away and compare.....a bit like some that collect vintage cars, or teapots, me, I like cameras :D
As for using the pinhole already on the camera, my opinion is probably that it's best to use normal colour mode, and then make the changes via the photo programmes later. But for now, I was testing and using pinhole, and retro and grainy B&W just for fun to see what would come of it. If I was going to be serious, I would just take it straight and then add changes later on the puter.
Mind...I took over 430 photos for the wedding that day, and made 3 copies on dvd disc, one for the groom and bride, and one each for the groom and bride's parents, and as I saw them all at a BBQ the next day, I gave it to them there and then, and they were all so happpy about it :D . They were not expecting that, or that I took so many photos. 8) The groom had put up one of my pics as his main picture on facebook, and he downloaded a couple of hundred of the photos, and all their friends and family were tagging the pics etc. It's a joyful thing to see.
That is the great thing about digital photography, it is instant.

Remember in our day, with marriages, the days of film cameras, how we had to wait at least couple of months for the wedding album and other photos. I can remember anxiously waiting for it.....how great it must be now to have instant gratification with photos of important events. It's marvelous.

I was just thinking the other day, how I used to be so careful with my film camera, being 24 + 3 (27 pics all up) as it was pricey to buy the film, and pricey to get developed, and yet never knew if all the photos would be okay or not, so one roll of film used to last me somewhere between 1 - 3 months, depending on the events that were happening. Now......it's so good to be able to see if a photo is okay or not, and take as many as we like. I have learnt more about 'lighting and exposure' since the digital revolution than ever before, as we can experiment and see the results instantly.

I also remember, I used to be one of the very few people that would always bring a camera out with me to take photos of events, while no-one else did. I used to make copies to give out then also.
Now....everyone has a camera of some sort, including on their mobile phones, and hd videos as well.
But one thing though.....as they say....a photo is not a photo until it is developed......and that is the problem with many young ones, do many of them develop the photos they take or not?

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:29 am

If only I had a digital camera when I was in the military... I could have had 12 years of the biggest files of both modern day military equipment and museum pieces of old... but anyways...

I don’t know how many times that when I finally got around to developing film only to be disappointed by blurred pictures or bad lighting etc... and yes, it was pricey as well... especially compared to around 30c per picture these days at Harvey Norman and places like it...

I am not surprised that the kids used your pictures as there’s some very good angles and natural settings.. like that girl laughing, the kid looking under the rail, people talking etc... you just feel that it was a warm friendly wedding...

I had a bit of a crack at a couple of more pics... this one I lightened up but then it looked a bit cold so I was able to put a bit of warmth back into it.. I thought it came out well

This one was a fail... you can’t win them all... the colour on the lass’s face is out of whack because of the pinhole shadow.. I think... but that's what it’s all about... trying things, testing options etc... but i tell you... the picture itself, the moment you captured, couldn't have been better by a proffessional photogropher.. well done =D>

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:45 am

Given enough time and a larger file great improvements can be made.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

danet

Post by danet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I agree you need the full resolution photo to be able to do much with it, but I am rather impressed with what is being done already =D>
I want to share something funny re: photography and cameras....at the wedding (in fact, anywhere I go in life!).....I would see a situation and quickly grab my digi cam and go take some pictures, and one or two of the blokes on the table would say to me "Just what is it with you and that camera!"....and then I thought, and replied "Much the same as it is with you and those smokos!", and with a smile they would say "fair enough".....so that's really it isn't it......a habit and a yearning to do something.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm

You are absolutely right - the image size is too small to get the full effect of any enhancements that may be applied.

Is the wedding ceremony in a Vine Yard, if so did you sample any of the local produce?
When I look at the formal wedding photogrpahs of the past - this one looks very relaxed and your photographs portray a day of joy and happiness.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm

westoelad wrote:You are absolutely right - the image size is too small to get the full effect of any enhancements that may be applied.

Is the wedding ceremony in a Vine Yard, if so did you sample any of the local produce?
When I look at the formal wedding photogrpahs of the past - this one looks very relaxed and your photographs portray a day of joy and happiness.
Great job there, the flowers look much clearer and crisper.

In fact, everyone who has worked on the different shots has done a great job, they're all a lot clearer and lighter. Amazing what can be done these days.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 am

Baldy and westoe – what sort of Photo Editor do you use?
And although the pictures are brighter you have lost danets effect of the pinhole picture, which leads me to my next question...

Can your photo editor replace that pinhole effect or the darker boarder?

btw danet... i generally use a higher ISO... i see that yours is set on 160... i tend to use ISO 400 as an alrounder so it doesn't matter whether the suns out or it has clouded over or the light is dimmer due to the start or end of the day etc... food for thought..

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:57 am

And danet, in your signature picture, if the camera was held a little bit further to the right, you would improve the shot :D :D
I voted leave

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:30 am

Pilot wrote:And danet, in your signature picture, if the camera was held a little bit further to the right, you would improve the shot :D :D
You've got to be kidding! have you seen the other side of her face? :shock:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Pilot wrote:And danet, in your signature picture, if the camera was held a little bit further to the right, you would improve the shot :D :D
You've got to be kidding! have you seen the other side of her face? :shock:

It was there all the time, if you download the picture and right click, show all - there she is in all her glory :wink:
Last edited by westoelad on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Blue... wrote:Baldy and westoe – what sort of Photo Editor do you use?
And although the pictures are brighter you have lost danets effect of the pinhole picture, which leads me to my next question...

Can your photo editor replace that pinhole effect or the darker boarder?
Hi blue,

I am using Adobe Phtoshop CS4 Extended. I bought it through a student scheme offered by Adobe which allows students to purchase the full software package at a fraction of the cost whist my daughter was at university. So, if you know any students out there who would be willing to apply for the package and let you pay for it, this is a very good way to acquire the genuine article. :shock:

As you can see you can do just about anything with CS* the only limit is your knowledge and imagination :wink:

Return to “The Photo Shop”