I am getting a new digi cam....

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

danet

Re: I am getting a new digi cam....

Post by danet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:30 am

You know, that is a good thing Pilot, the awesome little digi cams now take good photos, so you can't be too bad at it, and if you don't like what you see, you can take more pics till it's good enough...that is the best thing about digital age, whereas when it was film cameras only, you never knew if your photos would come out okay, until you had them processed :? That is why I preferred a point and shoot simple film camera most of the time back then when my kids were growing up, so I wouldn't stuff it up with picking the wrong settings like on the SLR film cameras, mind, I did have a SLR film camera, cost me a packet, and some of the photos did turn out okay...thank goodness. But I always had 2 cameras, my usual point and shoot, and the SLR.....so I would be certain some pics would turn out okay.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

One of the things i really regret is digital technology was not around when I went to sea, it would have been awesome to look back on now, unfortunately it wasn't, I did buy a Yashica Minister D in Singapore in 1970 which I still have but film was expensive and I only have a few shots from those days, on a couple of ships I sailed on we had an equipped dark room but my efforts in there were woeful. I remember we had a cook d*e at sea, he was from Goa in India and I was asked to take photos of his funeral in Antwerp, this was to send to his wife back in India, we draped his coffin in the Indian flag as his fellow crew members took his coffin ashore, every time I went to take a picture they stopped, posed and smiled, hope his wife got them OK, I searched for the roll of negatives ages ago but dont know what happened to it.
I voted leave

danet

Post by danet » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Gosh, the cook died? Hope it wasn't from trying out his own cooking :? But that is sad, and how lovely for them to have faith in your photography back then, Pilot. And I do know what you mean about film being expensive, it was buying the film, then having it processed, so I hardly ever took many photos, lucky to have taken a roll once every 2-4 months when my kids were little, and when I was a teen, maybe one roll of film once a year, only to be annoyed at it being that reddish colour because of being affected by heat in summer :(
I have thought exactly the same, how I wish digital was around in my younger days, oh how I would have loved it. And do sometimes think of times that are now gone and just a faded memory, and wished I had taken photos, yes, some regret there also. I wouldn't be surprised if many of our generation are feeling that way, now with the advent of digital photography so accessible and cheap, even good quality photos from mobile phones....but one thing puzzles me, have there been less sightings of UFO's now that EVERYONE has a friggin digi cam in one form or another :lol: :lol:

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Same same... I wish we had digitals back when I was in the ARMY.... it was only ten years ago now that I took a Discharge to come home to be closer to mum after dad died...

In that first year home, or maybe the second, so 9 to 10 years ago I purchased a Sony Cybershot... 3.1mp and it cost me over $600 at the time.. the mrs wasn’t happy either... lol ... but we’ve had some damn good shots off of it and has been worth every cent... my daughter still uses it today :D

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

danet

Post by danet » Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

You know the dilemma I have had, that Sony HX7V or HX9V I am interested in, that has got some good reviews, and good digi cams for low light situations (better than the Lumix shoot and point cameras)...well...since that Tsunami Japan had, their factory that put all the Sony parts together, was washed away, so now Sony in Japan is recalling all their cameras back, and selling them at higher prices I believe, as it might be some time before they get it all together again. So that is what I am told. All I wanted was to handle one of them to see how I liked it, but do you think I could get my hands on one for a hands on feel....nope...not even in New Zealand when I was over there :?

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:32 am

Well I have done it! I had bought the Sony HX9V, being a bigger 16 optical zoom, yet still a smallish compact camera with good portability and not bulky etc.

I will be happy with this one for a while for now, it seems to pack a punch, with 3D, sweeping panorama, HDR, bigger optical zoom, and with reviews of this camera being very good in low light situations.

Let you know what I think of it once delivered here, and I get some use out of it...so excited :D

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 am

Don't get too excited, wouldn't want you wetting yourself. :lol:

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing the results of your work. :wink:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Nah, I only worry about the wetness if I sneeze too many times in a row! :lol:
But yes, the anticipation of getting a new cam means I will be eager to do more photographing to get to know it better, and now being winter here in Oz, I might see how it takes indoor pics, and outdoors in dull weather. I will most certainly gladly post some pics and what I think about it from my viewpoint. :D
My earlier portable smaller point and shoot digi cam was a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 (they are up to TZ20 now!)...so that is how long I had that cam for, and it has been amazing, and feels like quality and weight, not like the newer ones now, they feel so plasticky and light.

I'm still thinking, of going back to DSLR, as I do miss my Canon 400D, and when I look at the pics I took with that cam, they really do look good, better in fact than both cams I have now.
But which one, which DSLR? They all seem so brilliant. I have gone in to hold them, and some feel too akward for my little hands, and I have found the Sony Alpha A55 to be a good comfy fit. But the price is a bit high, whereas the Canon 550D for instance, is cheaper by $$hundreds.
Anyway, will worry about that in the next "whim of wants" for a new digi cam :D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I wish I had gone for bigger Megapixels with my DSLR danet... I think it’s only around 6 ...

What I find is that quite often I like to cut a piece out of the original picture... if it’s only a small piece it can get grainy... but if the MPs were bigger, then, the shot would still be clear and less grainy... if you know what I mean..

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

That's the annoying thing, to do a close up crop of a photo, only to find it loses some clarity, or it pixels out, or whatever that terminology is that they use.

I found a 10MP dslr was fantastic, as I had tried out my son's friend's Sony Alpha A100, and took some amazing photos that were crisp and clear. So I would say, 10MP is ample.

Now, my new camera, so far, I have not been able to really test it out as the weather has been atrocious. I have looked and snapped away inside for a while, and think that it's just okay, I suppose. It has not wowed me yet.
16 MP and I take a pic of something, then zoom in, and it is no as clear, as say if you had a 10MP DSLR, so by no way, is a high MP small camera, comparable to a lower MP DSLR camera! IMO anyway.

I do like the panaronic sweep on this new Sony I have, it's something different. The 3D doesn't seem much, for now, until I get a 3D TV I suppose :roll:
I am thinking it is all too gimicky.

It is a very very easy camera to use and navigate, probably a bit too simple for my liking, as I do like a bit of fiddly challenging cameras to keep me guessing...lollll.

I do not like the on-off button, it is flat and flush with the top of the camera, and I cannot find it unless I can see it in full light, my Pana TZ3 had a more prominent on-off button you can feel and slide, rather than this on the Sony, where you have to find it, and then press it.

The 16 optical zoom, as opposed to the 10 optical zoom...well, there isn't that much difference in the zoom, only a little, I would have expected much more to be evident. But then again, I need to have a good day out and test this more, with both cameras just to compare, as my old Pana TZ3 is a 7MP with 10 optical zoom, and I will definitely be comparing them, with a few years apart from these machines, it will be very interesting to compare the older 7mp to the newer 14mp.

I have high expectations, and once I get a chance to see how this it all looks, and use all the settings, then I can give a fair review of my own.
I haven't used the full hd video part of it yet.

So stay tuned for more input, in time 8)

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 pm

and that's the thing danet... do you go for the gimmicks or do you go for quality of picture.. its hard to get a camera that will do both that isn’t a big heavy DSLR...

if I had to buy a compact camera right now I’d go for quality of picture so I’d buy the G12 canon... the one that I can fit into my pocket while on the road that I can pull out and take a good quality snap as it has the bigger sensor...

5 x zoom would have to do and that should be good enough considering all my other compacts were only 3x ... but atm I’ll watch and wait..

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:07 am

I go for quality, not the gimmicks, but if there are some gimmicks with it, then I don't mind, but in the end, it is the fastness, quality and ease of use that reel me in. So far, this little Sony I have is not too bad, I am still experimenting much with it (although it's been so cold, and not much photo opportunity) but I will put in some images soon. There is just one thing I cannot stand on this Sony HX9V, and that is the 'on off' button, it is flush with the camera, and hard to locate, unike the lumix, with it protruding, so it is easy to put on or off without having to visually search for it.

I had taken some of those sweeping panoramic shots with the Sony, and it's amazing actually. My son and his partner came up yesterday and looked at the pics in my new cam, and seemed to thing the panoramic one was aweseome. To me, it's not the most important thing, I am a real time photographer, with not too much processing of the photo afterwards, I have no clue about photo shop, so instead of trying to improve the photo too much in those photo programmes, I try to improve myself as a photographer, and to learn more of the functions and settings of a camera.
I have an earlier model compact Lumix TZ3, and I am still discovering things on that I had no clue about. It still takes awesome photos, even if it is 7 MP.
I have read some amazing reviews on the Canon G12, and I think the guide/photographer on the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb used that camera specifically, so the photos were excellent, of subjects standing on the bridge, and the Sydney Opera House and city scape, in the background. All clear and in focus.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 pm

danet wrote:I go for quality, not the gimmicks,
well, you’ve confused me danet... we talked about this in another thread... camera’s with big zooms and gadget V’s a camera with smaller zoom but with a bigger camera sensor so that you get better quality pictures with...

you ended up getting the camera with the big zoom and gadgets and the smaller sensor... :-k
so, in terms of image quality (IQ) starting from the bottom... compact, travel zoom and super zoom camera’s all share the same size Sensors and therefore share the same IQ.... only difference being of how far you can ZOOM in etc....

now step up to an “Advanced Compact Camera”... larger Sensors, about twice the size of your basic compact... you’ll find that they are a non b*llshit type of camera only running a 3 to 5 x zoom or thereabouts and around 10 megapixels which is good enough to blow up pictures to A3 in size or better... camera’s like the Canon G12 and S95, Nikon P7000, Olympus ZX1, Panasonic LX5, Richo GRD111 and the Samsung EX1

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 am

well, you’ve confused me danet
:lol: sorry 'bout that :) I do go for what the reviews say is a good all rounder (as far as compact goes), and I do like the high zoom, like my old Pana TZ3. The gadgets/gimmicks is just a bonus, but it's not a must-have.

When I look at the reviews, I go into their photo gallery to see how the photos turn out, more than anything else.

I do wish for a smaller compact with bigger sensor, but then I would be paying more than double the price.
I am happier to have only paid $360 for this new Sony I have, whereas it is current price is about $580 in Ted's camera stores.

So the challenge for the smaller compacts for me was, portability, big zoom, and good photos.
The HDR, or 3D or sweeping panaorama, or full HD videos, etc etc is all secondary, but, if it comes with the camera, then so be it.

I do want the ability for manual controls on the camera, to be able to adjust the settings before taking a pic. Particularly low light situations.
The Sony was a different brand I wanted, as I have had Panasonic for quite a while.
The Sony's take very sharpt shots, as I noticed with a friend's Sony DSLR A100 at one time. They are sharper than the older Canon DSLR's...where canon's tend to have a 'softer' take on photos. This Sony HX9V takes crystal photos, and what was the first thing I was eager to see on this camera....the photos of course, not the gimmicky stuff. Not even the video will be used much by me.

I am hankering to go back to the latest Canon DSLR 600d with the swivel out screen. I have all the lenses and filters to fit this camera already from my earlier digital Canon 400D and film Canon 500 EOS N.
The Panasonic I have in the mid price, high zoom range (FZ100) has been a good all rounder, although bigger than the compacts, but smaller than the DSLR's.
For size wise, the Sony Alpha A55 is also on my fave's list, as it is a DSLR with interchangeable lenses, yet smaller than the Canon and Pentax etc.
Just wish I could borrow all these cameras and try them out first, before buying them.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:46 am

So how I look for a camera, I go into a camera store, and ask to look at and handle a couple of them to compare.
I then take photos, of the sales assistant, of the people walking by the store, and then ask them to take one of me, so I see what it is like, particularly in those circumstances with bright lights all around. I look at the photo in review, and zoom in on it to see what the quality is like.

That is the first priority, then comes the price.
As for the extra gizmos, I don't mind them, but it's not a priority. For instance, I have noted the sweeping panoramic photos is something I probably won't get processed as it is oddly shaped and then you need a oddly shaped picture frame for it too. I might get one processed just to see what it's all about, and what it costs, compared to the normal average size photos.
Will inform of how that compares in due course.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

I kept my eye on a Sony Alpha A55 tonight on ebay, with a tamron 18-200 zoom lens, it was listed at $700, and I was almost tempted, but then, it got the bids in the last 20 minutes, and went well over $800 plus postage, so the next bid would have made it around the $900 mark. And it was still a 'used' camera, although seems in excellent condition with the seller having 100% score on feedback.

But the most amazing thing for me is, that little compact Sony I just bought for $359, is now listed $100 more! :shock: Talk about luck of the draw! How did that happen, normally it's the other way around, buy something, only to find it cheaper elsewhere :lol:

Return to “The Photo Shop”