I am getting a new digi cam....

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

danet

I am getting a new digi cam....

Post by danet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 am

so.....I reluctantly sold my Canon SLR 400D.....but while they are fetching good prices on ebay second hand, it was a good decision to do it when I did, must be the way I presented it :D coz I got more than the others that were for sale 8) ...but at the same time, I felt a bit sad......really odd it was...like selling a car that you become attached to....something like that....hope I don't regret it :? ....but I did have my sites on the Canon 550d as an upgrade and it has some teriffic reviews and scores......but.....as it is a bit bulky, so I decided on a smaller slr type camera, something being a 'hybrid'....it's a panasonic lumix fz100......when it gets delieved soon and I receive it....I will take pics and post them here and see what they are like.......at least I am not much out of pocket from selling the canon to buying this latest panasonic.......I bought it online and saved something like $150 au compared to the camera stores.....and it has an aussie warranty etc.

Anyway....stay tuned :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: I am getting a new digi cam....

Post by westoelad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:54 pm

I can understand you down sizing for the convenience of a handbag camera and, by all accounts this seems like a decent camera except for the electronic viewfinder. I once owned an Oli 10x zoom (seems so long ago now) and it did a good job but the time taken to zoom in and out was - well not acceptable! You seem to be a knowlegable person when it comes to photography, I look forward to your first impressions and shots with your new camera - exciting time for you - the waiting would kill me!

danet

Post by danet » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Oh myyyy goodness....you sure guessed it Westoelad....it IS driving me crazy.....I like to have it quick smart pronto to play with.....so anxious to get my little hands on it and start fidgeting and photographing anything and everything :lol:
Don't you worry, as soon as I get it, you will all know about it....in the meantime, I can oggle at the pictures of it and the reviews...like in the link below 8)

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... ewsID=4426

danet

Post by danet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:36 am

It has arrived :D ...but now...I have to be content looking at it, and reading the instructions, and downloading the programmes, while it takes 155 minutes to charge the battery. Oh boy......155 minutes seems a long time.. :lol:

danet

Post by danet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I have been experimenting and 'getting to know' the camera :) It's got an almighty powerful zoom.....for a mid range compact camera......I guess that saves having to lug around all those huge zoom lenses with the old DLSR.

I have been also experimenting with something I am not very good at....macro......so...when the sun came out for about 10 whole minutes amidst all the miserable rain we have had of late.... I honed in on a trumpet lily. MIght have to download to photobucket and put in here....eventually.....one thing I have discovered (the ole Murphy's Law thing)....that if all else fails, refer to the instructions.....and I didn't get the right SDHC card for it, I got an 8 gb, but class 4, and because it has Full HD and AVCHD recording....I need a "class 6 SDHC"......and I would love to get a spare battery....but it's currently about $90 :shock: ...so I might just wait until it gets more reasonably priced, as all these things usually do.

Be back in a while with the trumpet lily 8) (probably could do better with more macro practice!) and also a zoom in effect of my garden statue, Goddess Kuan Yin (I think that's who it is) and clearly enough to see cobweb underneath her nose!

danet

Post by danet » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I am still fiddling and experimenting with all the different settings....I have always found the night time photos to be the biggest challenge....and it's amazing the variations of the flash strength that can be set, so that people don't looked washed out, with a huge shadow behind them on the wall etc....as for any settings with any camera, it takes time to know what is best for which situation. I know quite easily what to do for fast action sports photography, but macro and low light is still something I am learning about....but I intend to try and do more people portraits. As long as no one is shy about me saying ....."oh wait a minute, I will just put it on a another setting and see how that looks...".....so say cheese for a while as I change the dial :D

danet

Post by danet » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Finally at last, today was a most glorious day, the sun came out from hiding...and....I got a decent 'bee' photo :D Geez that was a challenge, they move so fast :lol: and I didn't want to get too close :? so I zoomed in and then cropped the photo. I can really appreciate any photographer that gets them real close up clear shots of a bee now!

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:50 pm

danet wrote: I can really appreciate any photographer that gets them real close up clear shots of a bee now!
A bit like this one, taken on my Canon 400D using the basic kit lens 18-55mm

This is a Hover Fly which is less than one tenth the size of a bee.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

danet

Post by danet » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 am

1/10th the size of a bee :shock: you make that Hover Fly look so gigantic :lol: Geez, you must have sprayed it with hair spray to freeze it so you could take the pic :D

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 am

danet wrote: Geez, you must have sprayed it with hair spray to freeze it so you could take the pic :D
I don't waste my hair spray, I need it all for myself. :wink:

You have to realise that the photo was a successful one, but I took loads of shots
at the same time which were useless. Every good photo you see is probably just
one good shot that the photographer got out of dozens (with that type of subject)
which were of little use. The surprising thing with that shot is the clarity and the
sharpness of it considering that it was just a normal basic lens that was used, fancy
expensive gear doesn't always mean better photos, most of it depends on the abilities
of the photographer.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Danet, good work, I am appointing you official cruise photographer so I can relax with my feet up while you take the pics. :lol:

MrSmith-just an outstanding photo, as good or better than any other bee pic I have seen on the internet.

=D>

danet

Post by danet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Sherri, do you honestly think that in one week aboard a different cruise ship, with a lot of stopovers, and 2 huge excursions, and all that buffet food and spas, that you are really going to find time to sit and put your feet up? :lol: :lol: :lol: Well if I spot you doing that, I will definitely take a pic of it as proof you did! :D
Howz the packing going? I am doing some hems, and some ironing, and some more shopping, and geez I hate packing :roll:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 pm

OMG I haven't a clue what I am taking or even where my snorkelling gear is yet. There's another week to go yet, danet. No sweat. :D

danet

Post by danet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm

You leave things to the last minute! No sweat you say, but you stress me out! And then you forget to bring nice jewellry and wear the cabin door/visa credit card around your neck instead :roll: :lol: And you need more different coloured tops to pack.....not just watermelon wham colours :lol: (don't make me come over there!)
I am going for 2 colour basic schemes, aquamarine, and purple.....so everything else has to fit in around those colours! I am safe with some black and beige, and white in there also 8) I hate packing!

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:00 pm

This is my current setup

Camera: Canon EOS 400D
Lens: Canon EF 24 - 105mm f4 L
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Nice depth of field in your shots Danet, I like the one of the diety in the garden - nice. Hours of fun coming your way and a cruise - have you win the lottery or are you just well off!
Is your name derived form dainty? - Dane "T" just wondering, my mind is like that.

Nice kit Mr. Smith you should get yourself out with Bri and put your kit through it's paces - Bri's probably worn his sensor out - looks like dirt or a hair or something on his close-up of the eye, needs checking out, hope it is jusy on the lense.

danet

Post by danet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:19 am

That's cute :D "dainty".....never got called dainty before :lol: And if I got stuck into it, and sold a lot of stuff I have laying around the place on ebay #-o , I may not be well off, but I would be better off :lol: but in the meantime, thank goodness for credit cards, and the never never plan :D The cruise is about $1300 each for 7 days, including accommodation and food, and the cruise of course. I know there are cruises that are up there in prices, and I have noticed the Rocky Mountaineer rail/cruise tours, it looks absolutely amazing from what I have seen on youtube,oh well.... maybe one day, when I do win the lotto 8)

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm

First time I have ahd a chance to try out my new camera.
What with work and the weather, I have not had much opportunity over these last few days, so I decided to go to St. Pauls Church close to the river Don in Jarrow for a few low light shots in the church and I am impressed. Straight out of the camera and a re-size in photoshop this is the organ in the church before you go through to the Chancery. The church is lit with tungsten lights, and every one is welcome, it is well worth a view especially for it's historical relevence.

danet

Post by danet » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:05 am

Good natural light aspect, and good clear details there Westoelad. Is that your new Pentax cam? I had been looking at those, well, they really catch your eye on the camera store shelves, all bright colours, I partiulcarly liked the crimson/purply one :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes Danet, this is my new camera. You are right, they produce this model in a variety of colours and they all look quite nice, but, being a boring person I went for black.
It seems to take remarkable low light images - this shot is hand held at f4.5 at 1/5 second at an outrageous ISO of 1600 with no visible camera shake or noise on the image.

A wooden carving of the Venerable Bede in St. Pauls church Jarrow.

I had been reading rave reviews for some time about this camera and how it is badged as an entry level dslr when it actually has more bells and whistles built on board than many cameras costing twice the amount and is better than other cameras such as the K7 further up the Pentax range.
When I went into the camera shop and mentioned the Pentax K-x, the guy behaind the counter remarked "you have done your homework then" and asked if I wanted to try it out against the competition which he would have recommended - well could I refuse.
I left very pleased and confident that I had spent my money wisely - time, will no doubt tell. One thing I do notice is the lack of AF points on the view finder which leaves you wondring what the camera has focused on if you have it in the multi point focus mode, but as most of my focus is centre weighted I have not noticed any out of focus points in the shots I have taken so far - build quality is exceptional accompanied by the best kit lenses bundled with any camera on sale at present and you can use any lense ever made for a Pentax on the camera.

Return to “The Photo Shop”