HDRs

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

HDRs

Post by danet » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 pm

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25565

Just thought it would be a good idea to put this link up (see above), which Curly had posted about in his corner shop forum, about HDRs, (high dynamic range) so as to keep that info about it in the photo shop forum, for any budding photographers for easier future reference to learn how to do HDRs :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:19 am

HDR images can be stunning but, can also make the image look false.
A well captured HDR image can make the result more "real" kind of how the eye percieved the image originaly.
Over tinkered HDR images become more like works of art but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Image

This photo was taken at Kilhope Lead Mine in Durham and given the HDR treatment and I think produced dramatic results.....
Last edited by westoelad on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: HDRs

Post by danet » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 am

That is truly awesome! :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Originaly an HDR photo comprising of 3 raw shots given the photoshop filter treatment to obtain an arty look.

Image

Let us pray................
Last edited by westoelad on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: HDRs

Post by danet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 pm

That is just too good Westoelad! =D> It's just amazing how arty photos can be made to look. Get them printed big, and frame them! And you can actually say it was your own 'art work' 8)

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 pm

I am humbled by your words danet, thanks very much.
Sometimes the images look better when they are presented small on the screen, not many photographs look that good when they are printed-out with the exception of a good portrait of someone near and dear. Smashin little forum this - all the people seem quite genuine and freindly, its a pleasure to use and peruse. :wink:

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: HDRs

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm

I can print professional quality prints up to A3+ size, but everyone keeps
telling me that size is not everything. :wink:
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:45 pm

I used to have an a3 printer epson 1200 something or other and it did a decent job with epson durabrite inks which were expensive. I tried the compatible inks which when first printed looked the dogs...but after a few months the depreciated badly. The only way to assure yourself of an excellent print is go to a photographic shop and have them printed professionaly on professional paper, the results are tremendous and guaranteed for thirty years. I used to use a camera shop in Carliole Square Newcastle at the very bottom of Worswick Street but sadly it has gone and the building is under revite.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: HDRs

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 pm

My printer is a Canon Pro 9000 and it uses eight different ink cartridges.
I only use original inks and the best quality paper which Canon produce.
The paper I have just started to use is their latest "Canon Pro Platinum"
Canon claim that the photos using their original inks and quality papers
will last a lifetime (not very precise I know), of course a lot will depend
on how you store or show your photos. I used compatable inks for a short
time when I had an Epson photo printer and as you say the photos fade
after only a short time when exposed to daylight, they don't do the printer
any good either. So these days I go for quality, and I use a firm where I
can buy my original inks and papers and about half the price charged by
most suppliers.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: HDRs

Post by danet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:18 am

I found that getting substitute inks, albeit cheaper, were not for me, I wasn't overly impressed with the print quality and the fact it didn't last long and the photo would eventually fade in a short amount of time. I also found the substitute inks don't last as long as the originals. So I figured, with the amount of money them inks cost and then the paper, it was cheaper to get them printed at the photo store.....as they are now more reasonably priced, wherease at first, they were something like $1 a print! I know there are .10c deals at other stores, but I have always gone to my fave camera store called "Camera House" and sit at their computers and put my little sd card in, pick the pics, and crop, or enhance, or even put a boarder around the photo. I reall love that 'creative' stuff.

Just thought I would share and show a list of the various prices for various types of prints at the camera store in Melbourne.
It's actually a booklet, with so many different things you can do, but will only put up these 2 pages to give an indication of prices, and in a way, my preference getting photos printed there.
I do use the home printer for special photos I may want in a hurry or to give a copy to someone if time is tight.

The main thing is, I was told, is that 'a photo isn't a photo until it is printed'....and isn't that the main problem now, with so many people taking digital photos and not getting them printed? If you ask someone to show you photos, they say "I haven't had them printed yet" with a :? expression on their faces....also meaning, to look for them in a file stored somewhere would take an age! (I know I would be lost to find any specific photo amid the 10's of thousands I have on disc in a folder!)

That just does NOT impress me...and my daughter is one such individual! I asked for a photo of her doing cheerleading comp so I could show the rellies in Sydney, and she said she didn't have any! So now, I have gone and done many prints yesterday, something like 130 of them!

I have noted that I can have the 35mm films processed for $4.00, then I can scan the negative on my scanner and pick the ones that I feel are best to get printed, rather than have the prints done from film, and only like a few of them. So this...has actaully encouraged me to grab my old canon eos slr film camera, and take photos with it again 8)

Anyway, it begs the question, how do you store your 'images on file' so if you want a particular photo, and.....what are the various ways (or best way) of indexing them for speedier retrieval?


Image

Image

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:37 pm

A very nice bit of kit that Canon printer especialy the dye based ChromaLife100 inks they give superb colour reporductions.
You have got to laugh at the predictions companies state for how long their inks will last in this case a 300-year album storage, 30-year light-fastness, and gas-fastness of 20 years. that is if the printout is stored in an archival album with a plastic cover sheet and kept in the dark. So, when you have company you can hint at the photo's you took were good but, you dare not get them out in case it starts the drgadation process!

I honestly will not spend more than I have to on inks and have bought compatable substitutes out of necessityfor the past ten years possibly.
When both my kids were at home and studying, the printer would go through a veritable forest if paper every month so five colour and five black (or three colour and seven black) cartridges for a £15 at a local supplier was just the ticket.

Interesting price list there danet, Jessops a chain store here in the UK can do you a print for 40 pence; XXL posters £5; aluminium prints from £35 and enlargements from £2 a shot. Or take them to your local store store and print them off the same way as you describe crop and shop.

To answer your question about photo storage I simply keep all my photos in folders and sub folders with a naming convention of place or person or event etc. with sub folders relevant to the main folder - much like a family tree.
I did try adobe bridge but found it too "clever" with it's batch conversion facility for re-naming, linking etc. I have to keep things simple and easy or I loose interest.
You are probably right a photo is not a photo until printed - it is an image.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: HDRs

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:19 pm

westoelad wrote: You have got to laugh at the predictions companies state for how long their inks will last in this case a 300-year album storage
they can make that sort of claim because they know that the purchaser will no longer be
around to complain.

westoelad wrote:To answer your question about photo storage I simply keep all my photos in folders and sub folders with a naming convention of place or person or event etc. with sub folders relevant to the main folder - much like a family tree.
Ditto! and remember to back them up, I copy mine to discs, which means a lot of discs
if you take your photos in the RAW fromat, as I do. I also copy them to another hard
drive, of course I delete the hundreds of rubbish shots that every photographer takes. :D
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3302
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: The Nook

Re: HDRs

Post by StottieCake » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:14 am

westoelad wrote:HDR images can be stunning but, can also make the image look false.
A well captured HDR image can make the result more "real" kind of how the eye percieved the image originaly.
Over tinkered HDR images become more like works of art but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Image

This photo was taken at Kilhope Lead Mine in Durham and given the HDR treatment and I think produced dramatic results.....
Directed here from Curlys Corner Shop. What a picture this is =D> =D> =D> . Better than real eyesight and I've just had my eyes lasered.

I am amazed

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: HDRs

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:01 am

StottieCake wrote: Directed here from Curlys Corner Shop. What a picture this is =D> =D> =D> . Better than real eyesight and I've just had my eyes lasered.
I am amazed
You're right Stottie, it's almost like a 3D effect, the photo has a lot
of depth to it, the car jumps out at you, excellent photo. Most of
the HDR photos which I've seen and really liked are usually in black
and white or close to black and white.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3959
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: South Shields

Re: HDRs

Post by gtirbri » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:02 pm

I personally am not a fan of HDR but I have to be honest and say that shot of the car is stunning, it is a shame its an audi though :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Mr Smith wrote: Most of the HDR photo's I've seen and really liked are usually in black
and white or close to black and white.
Now you got me thinking Mr. Smith, which one is the preferred result, so here is a comparison -

Image

Image


Sorry to use the same subject matter Brian, thought I would stick with the theme, but, just to let you know - this thing does over 72 miles to the gallon; pulling over 420nm of torque if you require it (does not return 72 mpg when you use the power!). I have been down to Camberley in Surrey and back on three quarters of a tank of fuel almost a 700 mile round trip with four adults and baggage, I was astounded.

User avatar
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3959
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:40 pm
Location: South Shields

Re: HDRs

Post by gtirbri » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:27 pm

the second pic is the best in my opinion. They are cracking cares, just cost to much for what they are :D

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: HDRs

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm

I prefer the second shot as well.

I was thinking of getting one of those Audis then I remembered that
you have to pay for them. bubble burst. :D
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
danet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Yarra Valley Ranges. Victoria

Re: HDRs

Post by danet » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Not only nice photos....but nice car! 8) :D

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: HDRs

Post by westoelad » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Modern sculpture - Newcastle Quayside, helped by a bright winter sun.

Image
Last edited by westoelad on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “The Photo Shop”