Sports/action photography

tips on how to improve your photographs

Moderator: danet

danet

Sports/action photography

Post by danet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Bri, here are a couple of photos I promisied to put up for your perusal, that I have taken in the last year or so, in action :D Both were with my canon 400EOS digital with a big Tamron lens extending right out to about 480mm.
You know, I can't even remember what settings I had it on, and not sure how to read, or if the settings etc are imprinted in the details when the photo was taken. I do put it in 'sports' mode sometimes. Maybe Baldy can work that one out when he gets back from Italy 8) I tend to experiment with settings, at least with digital you can see where the boo boos are and correct them or practice something different again.
The way I take photos, is that I follow the subject to a point where I think it looks good and take the photo. Another way of doing it is by fixing the focus on an item where the subject will eventually come into the picture frame, and then snap.

I am certain there are other ways of taking the fast shots. But it would be good if you tried to take some photos of some moving objects and start seeing what the results are. But then again, I reckon you would exell, as you seem to pick up quickly on how to take great photos. Especially with the macro...in such a short time frame you have come up with some amazing pics in detail.

These next photos, (freestyle jet-skier), I took with a friends camera (because I just love to learn to use different cameras) I think it was a Nikon D70 DSLR. He had some super lens on it, I will have to make a note of the lens next time :roll: :lol: Anyway, I tweaked the first photo a bit in a simple photo programme I have on the computer, to make it look like a mirrored reflection.
With taking fast action photos, you just have to keep right on the ball, as it is a tense type of "split second" photography, and always ready to get that neat capture 8)

gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Sports/action photography

Post by gtirbri » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:56 pm

there actually good pics, following the subject with your camera is called panning. I might try it one day but as yet I've never really give it a go except with a couple of seagulls, I should try it too as I love motorsport

cheers

Bri

nesr012

Post by nesr012 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

GREAT SHOT...

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:48 am

Bri, what exactly did you do to danet's shot?
It is a great shot (she is a very good photographer, I have seen some of her shots).
That last one looks clearer in some way, but I am not sure how you tweaked it.

gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:25 pm

I never touched it

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Ah well :lol:
Must be my laptop then, and the way the light was reflected on the computer screen.

danet

Post by danet » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 am

Sherri...have a look at the posters name, it's not Bri, it's Nesr 8)
And I agree, whatever Nesr did really made that shot more clear. Good work =D>

nesr012

Post by nesr012 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

This is an absolutely fantastic action shot:

Is this a stunt or has something gone horribly wrong?

bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm

cool pic,danet,i,ve just bought my son a ski,its a sitdown version unlike the stand up freestyle type in your pic`s,
they sure are good fun ,stuntkid loves his !here`s a pic of it and a little vid of him trying it out on his first ride out..
mind he`s not up to the standard of the pro`s in your pic`s :wink: :D
back by popular demand

nesr012

Post by nesr012 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:16 am

The photo above is typical of a badly composed shot with the subject not central and absolutely no action going on what so ever!
The shot is under exposed and has displays none of the techniques of action photography, what is there to learn from this? #-o

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:23 am

Nes the picc above is actually a video, click on it, or are you being deliberately sarcastic lol :P

danet

Post by danet » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Nesr...that was a deliberate 'freestyle' action shot....all them dives and stuff they do. You want to see them out in the surf...OMG :shock: I will try to get some surf pics on here a bit later.

Hey Mr. Bamboo :D now that's neat! And your son rides quite well for his first ride out....he has the knack for it real good 8)
Make sure you take plenty of great action shots, and will look forward to seeing them on here.

lol nesr...that's probably a good summary if that was an actual photo :lol: but as scrappy says, just click on that picture, and it plays as a video. In fact, that is something I would love to learn how to accomplish, putting up a video on here.
I have two types of movies...on VHS and on the hard-drive on a new HD digi cam (still can't work out how to transfer it properly) #-o I might have to get Bamboo to give me some lessons in here about that :D
But, another digi cam I had bought, which had a really bad stabilizer, (hence I brought it back)...but I found it was easier to download the movies from 'that' camera, than this newer one I now have....so from the first video cam, I did manage to download something I took...and from one of the movies I took (on the computer it was not very smooth running...as the frames in the movie comes up like a stutter :roll: and there was one scene I did a 'screen shot' of...it was of this below...like taking a photo from the movie....at least I got something right out of all that frustration :lol:

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:05 pm

=D> =D> =D> Great Shots Danet =D>

danet

Post by danet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks Anna, just think, when you and Mr. Boo and family come over to Australia, (eventually :roll: )what fun you will have going for a wild spin in the lake on a jet ski, or runabout, or wet bike :D :D 8) So don't ever forget to pack your toggs 8) Oh, and then exploring all the beautiful Yarra Valley vineyards, and go on a hot air balloon ride 8)
Of course, then you all just have to go shopping for clothes and shoes and bags, and jewellry, and and and..... :wink:

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:31 pm

:lol: =D> ....if only ...
one day :wink:

suzie
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by suzie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 pm

that was a deliberate 'freestyle' action shot

Very brave to do this kind of sport .
More great photos .

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Smashin action shots........

added a little blur and some sharpening for an even more dramtic effect.

Is that a real reflection or did you add it?

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 pm

That looks excellent, westoelad!

danet

Post by danet » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 am

Good work Westoelad, I loved the blur effect, it makes the subject stand out more...I am going to learn more about this 'blur' tool, in fact, I need to really learn about this "whole photo shop" stuff.....that is my new year's resolution :D

Return to “The Photo Shop”