Article in Shields Gazette

Moderator: andysfootball

Skip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Article in Shields Gazette

Post by Skip » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Excellent article in Shields Gazette tonight, part 1 of 2. Tells a good story and history of South Shields FC.

Look forward to next article.

Mick_Sharp
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Article in Shields Gazette

Post by Mick_Sharp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Link HERE

SUNGONEIN
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by SUNGONEIN » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 pm

sorry but just to correct some of the inaccuracies once again in the local rag tag re 2nd part of article on Friday

the inset picture is not 1974 that was 1964---http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... 4.htm-this is the last team photo-I was at the game

the director who reformed the club in 1974 was Martin Ford not Michael Ford-he is still alive= I used to drink in his pub!

and....... major omissions of achievements

no mention of FA Trophy semi in 73-4 v morecambe

no mention of being in the Northern Alliance 74-76 (champions twice) went to every single game home and away

no mention of winning Durham Challenge Cup at Roker Park in front of 4000 fans or the 1/4 final vase game at Friar Lane Old Boys in 77 (me and matty were there)

a profesional promotional/marketing company would cost money but do the job and more

who wastes their money on that rag?

Have to say the article tonight (Saturday) was so down beat people might want to cut their throats

Where are the positivity-plans for the future and general benefits for the town??-sorry not being negative but cant see how the articles are promotional but more like a charity plea and the whole purpose and positivity about developing a stadium and club facilities for the town is being lost-the Gazette "survey" shows there is lack of appreciation of the aims

think someone may need to do a mop up strategy and refresh-before its too late

passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 am

Ord/Sungonein/Shieldsman etc etc ad infinitum ....For your information and enlightenment personally, what the Shields 'Gazette' has actually published is no more than space has allowed - as the assistant editor has informed me as being only a truncated/precis of a much more documented account of club history in all its incantations that I provided and with specific reference to your personal recollections of post 1974 club history. Given the odd error that is apparent is no great sin on their part. If you consider the local newspaper of such poor merit why then buy it in the first place ? Otherwise what is glaringly apparent and plainly obvious to all is the sole sentiment, motive and unaltering agenda implied and implicit in all your comments and viewpoint of an anti-Shields FC tirade regardless of any opinion otherwise. Never ever a whisper of credit in any shape or form, when one recalls but two years ago SSFC winning both the Northern League Cup and the JR Cleator Cup against Spennymoor at the Brewery Field, or three years ago at this time in the season being actually third top with nine consecutive wins to its credit, totally ignored as if they never happened. All this stems from comments allegedly made to you by a former manager in response to your printed insults on this forum about his personage as being in your opinion unsuited to coach school children in the pursuit of his private business, sport education. Since which this unending invective has continued, irrespective of whichever club personalities involved, but just the entity of SSFC is sufficient to attract and denigrate if at all possible on any subject, to suit a personal objective of inflicting whatever damage is possible, and to interpret any post to this viewpoint.

marinersteve
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by marinersteve » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:23 am

Part II doesnt seem to be on Gazette site - at least I can't access it
Onwards and Upwards

http://www.divineartrecords.com
Divine Art - The Spirit of Music

SUNGONEIN
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by SUNGONEIN » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 am

steve

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/loca ... -1-5228159
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/loca ... -1-5228528

passtheball

If I was promoting something that entailed raising money I would want to ensure that every detail is absolutely correct and evey I was dotted and every T crossed.They are not odd errors --they are glaring- As ususal when someone points out something you take it personally and slander the person who comments. My point is that a professional promotions company would have taken a much different approach to promote the future- because that is what this is about-not a club in 1923---including what the benefits to the community would be with a picture of what a new ground might look like in the future. have a look at Gatesheads plans and see how they have promoted their vision to the public.

As for buying the rag-I dont-I I stopped buying it years ago along with thousands of others who realised it wasnt a paper for the town and is run by amateurs.
it is accessible online which was another point I made earlier that the circulation is only one small avenue for this promotion. If marinersteve cant find it think of all the other people who dont buy this rag and catch up on line and dont go to the local football section.

Rather than berate me you should get back to the "reporter" in question and maybe ask them what the hell they are doing-print an apology and correct the errors. Far from wanting anything to fail you are totally way off the mark but it riles me to see opportunities lost and c**k ups made.

passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm

SUNGONEIN - If in your considered opinion, you now contend that you have made your point with reference to all your perceived possibilities and aspects thereof with particular regard to the promotion of the current attempted purchase of Filtrona Park, then why not now leave SSFC to work out its own salvation ? Your particular comments are neither welcomed nor appreciated. The same applies to the team manager and the playing staff, if all such in both cases were well meant and sincere some points could be worthy of thought, however they are not and come from a different viewpoint with another objective in mind.

marinersteve
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by marinersteve » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for links - read it all now. Given the tendency of papers never to print what you send them ( I do press releases twice weekly) it's a fair summary in my view, though yes a few slips like the dating of the team photo etc - Len Smith leading the 1965 pack in the all white.

Today's new articles a mixed bag - the Millband one positive and encouraging the 'street interview' one very negative and a waste of space......

Anyhow the amont of coverage in itself is a good thing and will bring awareness if nothing else to more locals.
Onwards and Upwards

http://www.divineartrecords.com
Divine Art - The Spirit of Music

Elvis
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Elvis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Nice to read some opinions of the Gazette on here. As always, we strive to serve not just South Shields, but also the wider South Tyneside community, with a small (possibly the smallest for a daily newspaper around), but extremely hard working and dedicated staff.
We will get some things right and occasionally others wrong. But we continue to punch well above our weight to keep the 'local rag tag' (as vulgar a description as I've ever heard) producing good quality journalism and informing, entertaining and educating the borough and beyond.
While I've not been closely involved in the history articles or those connected with the share scheme, anyone who would like to contact me personally to discuss constructively any issues surrounding our coverage, rather than simply criticising on forums, is more than welcome to get in touch. Feedback is welcome as we want to improve our service to the readers.

Regards
Ross Gregory
Sports Editor
ross.gregory@northeast-press.co.uk
427 4807

sonfan
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sonfan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Many thanks Ross for your good work with the articles and photos in the Shields Gazette its a great help to the footie club and please dont associate the comments from SUNGONEIN as anything to do with SSFC, again many thanks.

Return to “South Shields Unofficial Football Club”