WESTOE LANE STATION

Do you have any News or Gossip from South Tyneside including South Shields, Jarrow, Hebburn and surrounding areas of Tyne and Wear? Then let the community know! by posting to our News Desk Forum
D.HEPPLEWHITE
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

WESTOE LANE STATION

Post by D.HEPPLEWHITE » Fri May 01, 2009 5:58 pm

THE WESTOE STATION WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF BLACKBERRY HILLS I AND MY TWO BROTHERS LIVED IN MARSDEN LANE IN 1949 WHEN WEWENT TO HORSLY HILL SCHOOL WE USED TO RIDE THE TRAINS ONE OF OUR FREINDS AT THE TIME MISSED HIS FOOTING AND LOST HIS LEG AT THAT TIME WE WOULD ONLY BE ABOUT 10 YEARS OF AGE ,SO THE PICTURE IS RIGHTTHE FARMER HIS NAME WAS OLD MAN FERGISONASWE KNEW HIM LATER ON THE FARM HOUSE BECAME A YOUTH CLUB WHICH WE WENT TO GOOD TIME,S THEN FUNNY HOW YOU RECALLTHE THINGS YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG .

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: WESTOE LANE STATION

Post by Jarrow Pete » Sat May 02, 2009 3:32 pm

D.HEPPLEWHITE wrote:THE WESTOE STATION WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF BLACKBERRY HILLS I AND MY TWO BROTHERS LIVED IN MARSDEN LANE IN 1949 WHEN WEWENT TO HORSLY HILL SCHOOL WE USED TO RIDE THE TRAINS ONE OF OUR FREINDS AT THE TIME MISSED HIS FOOTING AND LOST HIS LEG AT THAT TIME WE WOULD ONLY BE ABOUT 10 YEARS OF AGE ,SO THE PICTURE IS RIGHTTHE FARMER HIS NAME WAS OLD MAN FERGISONASWE KNEW HIM LATER ON THE FARM HOUSE BECAME A YOUTH CLUB WHICH WE WENT TO GOOD TIME,S THEN FUNNY HOW YOU RECALLTHE THINGS YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG .
If I remember right it was one of the Luthers who had the accident.I also used to ride the rattler home from Horsley Hill school and used to jump off at the sqauters huts.
Last edited by Jarrow Pete on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag » Sun May 03, 2009 7:22 am

You are right Pete. Bob Luther used to work in the lamp cabin at Westoe. I remember being told that he had lost his leg as a youngster whilst playing near the rattler.

cheers.

gag.
You can take the lad out of Shields, but you cannot take Shields out of the lad !!!!!!!!!!!

daveelsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daveelsy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:37 pm

The station at the foot of Blackberry hills was Salmons Hall, not Westoe lane which was down by Westoe pit. Named after the local farm which became the youth club.

Salmons Hall station was only one platform (on the east side of the track) and only long enough for one small carriage.

I used to live in Norfolk Road, Marsden which backed onto the hills and spent many a happy day 'hitching' a ride on the last coal truck.
To my knowledge, several kids were badly injured or lost limbs through this type of activity..........but we were tough in those days.

I think some of the one legged kids went on to play football for the local teams.......or perhaps they players only PLAYED as if they had one leg !

The train was also good for flattening pennys and making spear points out of six inch nails (much safer than hitching rides 'cos the worst you could do with a spear was only lose an eye).

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

daveelsy wrote:The station at the foot of Blackberry hills was Salmons Hall, not Westoe lane which was down by Westoe pit. Named after the local farm which became the youth club.

Salmons Hall station was only one platform (on the east side of the track) and only long enough for one small carriage.

I used to live in Norfolk Road, Marsden which backed onto the hills and spent many a happy day 'hitching' a ride on the last coal truck.
To my knowledge, several kids were badly injured or lost limbs through this type of activity..........but we were tough in those days.

I think some of the one legged kids went on to play football for the local teams.......or perhaps they players only PLAYED as if they had one leg !

The train was also good for flattening pennys and making spear points out of six inch nails (much safer than hitching rides 'cos the worst you could do with a spear was only lose an eye).
Dave spent many a day at your house No 14 when I was best mate with your brother Alan, were you the older brother who went to the High School or the younger one who joined the Army?

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Westoe Lane station was in Spohr Terrace, off Westoe Road, right near Westoe Cemetery.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am

curly wrote:Westoe Lane station was in Spohr Terrace, off Westoe Road, right near Westoe Cemetery.
Spohr Terrace was originally called Mendelssohn Road, the station was not as far up
the road as the cemetery, the station was in line with the Westoe school, which was
on Chichester Road East.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

daveelsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by daveelsy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 pm

daveelsy wrote:The station at the foot of Blackberry hills was Salmons Hall, not Westoe lane which was down by Westoe pit. Named after the local farm which became the youth club.

Dave spent many a day at your house No 14 when I was best mate with your brother Alan, were you the older brother who went to the High School or the younger one who joined the Army?

I was (and still am) the older one

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Westoe Lane station...

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 am

nice photo Brian,never seen that one before. =D> =D>

Todwriter
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Todwriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Does anyone know how the names Mendelssohn Road, Mozart Street and Beethoven Street came to be given to these terraces in Westoe? I'm a rail enthusiast (and musician) who used to visit the electric mineral railway there in the 1970s and came across these streets, which I see are still there.

It's an odd choice of name for streets in a mining village. And why was Mendelssohn Road changed to Spohr Terrace? This must have happened between 1915 and 1956. Spohr wasn't a well-known composer by then as his reputation had declined since his death in 1859. There can hardly have been a musical reason - maybe anti-Semitism as Mendelssohn was Jewish but that doesn't seem likely.

All very strange but there must be an explanation.

Return to “Local Area News and Gossip from South Tyneside”