Johnny Cash ....better than Elvis ?????

Local History for Tyne & Wear
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Johnny Cash ....better than Elvis ?????

Post by robpapE2 »

In a exchange on these boards many mention Elvis as an early favourite..
I can agree up to a point ..I love all that early Sun Rockabilly stuff..but from the army days and those awful movies I gave him up as a bad job...
Now Johnny Cash is a different kettle of fish..he was always a supporter of the underdog ..Ballad of Ira Hayes ...(the American Indian) against the war in Vietnam...and his later stuff was unique( I think ) and much better than all this men with hats which typified much of American Country Music in the 90s
Yup he even played the Bents Park here ..I enjoyed his act I went to a few of his shows in Carlisle and saw him on Jools Holland before his death..
So to sum up there are probably 3 stages of Elvis ..rockabilly...army man..Graceland Elvis ....each very different to the other...but with Johnny Cash ...he did the d*ugs and lived a very full life and survived to achieve great success ...if you can listen to HURT...it pops up on the adverts with the knackered runners .. it is a real tear jerker
...You decide....boards persons !!!!!!!
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

johnny cash has always been my number one
class
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Agreed. I got into Johnny Cash years ago as my husband was a big fan of his. I loved Ira Hayes and even some of the real country stuff he did. Like you Rob my Elvis memories are from before the awful films and the spangly jump suits. Saw him at Bents Park as well before he got rediscovered and everyone started jumping on the bandwagon.
I think Santa is bringing me some CDs to replace my vinyl and tapes!
para-wings
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by para-wings »

I'm a big fan of both. I have framed pics of both above me in my study now 8) However, for all I think Johnny Cash is awesome, you can't deny what Elvis achieved. I know what you say about the movies, but Elvis didn't have a choice. Col. Parker got him into the contracts. But......considering how bad SOME of them were, he made a bloody good job of them! Apart from one or two, they were actually entertaining. As for King Creole, Jailhouse Rock, and Loving You.....these will show you how great an actor Elvis actually was. It wasn't his fault the studios and his manager tried to milk him for everything and churned out poor scripts on a conveyor belt. Has anyone seen Johnny Cash's movie roles? For all I love him, he wasn't the worlds greatest actor :oops:
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

para-wings wrote:I'm a big fan of both. I have framed pics of both above me in my study now 8) However, for all I think Johnny Cash is awesome, you can't deny what Elvis achieved. I know what you say about the movies, but Elvis didn't have a choice. Col. Parker got him into the contracts. But......considering how bad SOME of them were, he made a bloody good job of them! Apart from one or two, they were actually entertaining. As for King Creole, Jailhouse Rock, and Loving You.....these will show you how great an actor Elvis actually was. It wasn't his fault the studios and his manager tried to milk him for everything and churned out poor scripts on a conveyor belt. Has anyone seen Johnny Cash's movie roles? For all I love him, he wasn't the worlds greatest actor :oops:

TOO true Blue...JC could only really play JC and that went for Willie Nelson too ...It was always the hype with Elvis ..that and the late Creepy Colonel Tom his manager what a character he was ..Elvis never came here because Colonel Tom would not have been allowed back into the States ...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Johnny Cash every time for me.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Jailhouse Rock is on TV over the holidays. I haven't seen it for ages. One of Elvis' best films.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Elvis was the greatest singer entertainer the world has ever seen, will never be equalled, never be bettered.
The facts are there for everyone to see, it does'nt matter what your personal tastes are, you can't get away from them, you will never see anything like that again 8) 8) 8)

Cisco
Last edited by Cisco on Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazza
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gazza »

....cash starred alongside kirk douglass in the film gunfight, not a
great actor, in that film anyway.......good songs song.....
:)
.......GET-ME-A-RUM-INSTEAD........
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Cisco wrote:Elvis was the greatest singer entertainer the world has ever seen, will never be equalled, never be bettered.
The facts are there for everyone to see, it does'nt matter what your personal tastes are, you can't get away from them, you will never see anything like that again 8) 8) 8)

Cisco
I agree there, plus these are 2 completely different musical genres so you can't really make a comparison between them.
Rememeber the saying, 'Before Elvis there was nothing'
not that I particularly like Elvis's music but I find it more uplifting than Cash's (some of it anyways)
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Elvis as an actor was the pits, as was the movies he acted in.

Elvis will continue to be enjoyed by all lovers of his style of music.

Johny Cash will continue to be loved by all lovers of his style of music.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I thought Elvis could have been a great actor.
It was the crap films they put him in, it was only because he was in them that made them watchable.

Cisco
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Santa gave me the Elvis DVD GI Blues, love the song Wooden Heart, can still remember and sing along to the German words in it.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I have GI Blues Pete watched it again last week great film.
Elvis only made about four movies what you would call really bad.
My favourites are Blue Hawaii, GI Blues, Jailhouse rock, having said that I liked them all.

Cisco
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Cisco wrote:I thought Elvis could have been a great actor.
It was the crap films they put him in, it was only because he was in them that made them watchable.

Cisco
I'm inclined to agree with you Cisco, I think he was used as a vehicle because of his enormous popularity and stunning good looks, filmmakers knew people would flock to see him in film.
He could have been a brilliant actor if given the chance, yet another musician/singer who came from very humble beginnings (like James Brown) but was extremely kind hearted and very generous, giving away huge amounts of money cars, and allsorts.
Gawd surely noone can be as crappy and wooden an actor as that vain man-mountain Arnold Schwarzanegger who has to pay to appear in films
:lol: :lol: snigger :lol: :lol:
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

para-wings.cisco and robpape2. i totaly agree.. he was used and abused, by all around him,He was uniqe in everyway..Lots of great singers ,the list is long,but Elvis was in a class of his own. :5slick:
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

He certainly was in a class of his own Anna, nobody else come close
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

the big "O" was better than elvis
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Elvis always said Roy Orbison was one of the greatest singers in the world.
Which I thought he was... next to Elvis.
jarrajock
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jarrajock »

i got a johnny cash cd and have played it a few times when i go to look for it i usually find in my nine year old sons room for some reason he loves listening to ring of fire