Disappearing Britain - Ringtons Tea

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Disappearing Britain - Ringtons Tea

Post by Pooter »

Anybody see Wendy Craig last night on Channel 5?

She was born in Sacriston and 3 years at drama school cured her Durham accent. Unfortunately this was just in time for her not to get any of the parts becoming available in the gritty northern dramas of the early 60s. What she came back to the north east for in the programme was to see if Ringtons Tea was still being made and sold.

To her (and my) great surpise it still was being made and sold round the doors.

My mam would buy one packet a week from the van when it came round our street, the rest of the time we had Brooke Bond, (we collected the cards).

I always wondered why she only bought one packet, was it very expensive?
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Ringtons Tea was founded in Newcastle in 1907 by Samuel Smith and William Titterington. The name of course derives from the latter and could have been worse, what? Centenary next year.

The firm has continued its home delivery rounds, though motor vans have replaced the famous horses. My mother in Newcastle buys Ringtons tea every week as she has all her life, along with the novelties the firm also offers. I bought two tea caddies off the van a year or two ago, one with a Chinese blue and white pattern, the other a Millennium copy of the old olive green one with a picture of the works in Algernon Road.

The poor were forced to buy tea, like most things, a little at a time ('penny packets') and so paid more.

My sister sends me supplies from time to time as the nearest Ringtons store has been in Peterborough. A new shop has opened in Cambridge, with a large variety of teas, and many more are planned. You can't get the stuff in supermarkets here yet.

Just off to put the kettle on. You've put me in the mood.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Ineresting information Jerry. My Southern son in law could not understand when we were talking about Ringtons why tea was sold door to door. At first he refused to believe people had tea delivered.
My grandmother got her tea delivered by Ringtons. Usually young lads broght it to the door.
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

ringtons teas

Post by robpapE2 »

yes ..we still buy it here in Biddick Hall .....including the green tea for the neighbour (very new age that ) !!!!!!wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I remember the Ringtons tea company delivering tea in a horse drawn cart in south shields, actually the stables were in Imeary Street, my uncle John bumfrey was the stable man there, he used to make an extra pound or two cleaning the horses saddles and bridals from the delivery men as it was there job to clean the livery, my mothr bought the tea every week, I don't know when the horses went out and the vans took over but I remember them well after world war ll
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

You can now even buy Green Tea off the boys in the Vans :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

They were promoting Ringtons tea in my area a few weeks back and as it was on offer decided to get some (have always liked their tea it's just too dear to buy all the time)
Anyway I got the 'traditional' tea but will make it last :lol:
marrasis

Post by marrasis »

ooo ringtons tea.........rotten stuff :? it just does'nt taste right.

I suppose it's what you get used to.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Mrs P and I don't like it either, must be an acquired taste.
I voted leave

marrasis

Post by marrasis »

I think it's just for those with a bitter taste in their mouths pilot :lol:
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

It's really nice tea and doesn't have a bitter taste at all marrasis, they do lots of different strengths.
I still like Tetley aswell :lol:

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I think its Yorkshire breakfast tea Mrs P gets in and she has de-cafe tea for supper.
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

marrasis wrote:I think it's just for those with a bitter taste in their mouths pilot :lol:
What was that about? :roll:
marrasis

Post by marrasis »

Oh cisco man, im just having a bit leg pull.....she can take it :wink:
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

yorkshire tea for me
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

I used to buy ringtons from the van, just before I left the UK (4yrs). They also do coffee and biscuits etc. As well as occasional specials. If you dont want to loose your heritage, you want to start buying ringtons. Before they give up delivering.
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Jim_in_France wrote:I used to buy ringtons from the van, just before I left the UK (4yrs). They also do coffee and biscuits etc. As well as occasional specials. If you dont want to loose your heritage, you want to start buying ringtons. Before they give up delivering.
Hey Jim I was shocked, they actually came round in a nice Ford van with all the green/gold livery, I expected them to turn up on a horse and cart :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cisco's
What was that about? :roll:
:wink: :wink:
marrasis

Post by marrasis »

LICK LICK...
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Marrasis [-X
marrasis

Post by marrasis »

Cisco, why do you do it.......why do you feel the need ???
Last edited by marrasis on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.