Youth Club

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Sigsy »

Barney wrote:I remember Tyne Dock YC, although I didn't go there very often.
I was chairman of the Council of Youth for a few years, and used to visit a lot of the yc's, like TD, St Hilda's, Horsely Hill CC, Biddick Hall (which I think had another name), the YMCA, and the Yellow Hut in Whiteleas.

TD was one of the newer buildings, so had good facilities.
Biddick Hall was called The Percy Hudson it was a new building quite good as i remember
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Sigsy wrote:Biddick Hall was called The Percy Hudson it was a new building quite good as i remember
That's right, Sigsy, the Percy Hudson.
Couldn't remember the name.
Right at the end of Bunyan Avenue.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Here's 2 pictures of Tyne Dock Youth Club, I'd not seen it for about 30 years and have been thinking about it a lot, I got a really weird feeling when I was there again today..had many a happy time there.
Sadly all the houses have gone except Taylor Street and a few in So Eldon Street and The Eldon Arms is obviously no more, but it makes the youth club look a bit isolated (remember the 2 Lollipopmen? one took you over to Barnes Rd school from the Eldon arms and one was further down near Gilbert Street

this one looking towards Barnes Road

Last edited by Babooshka on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

I USED TO GO TO ST MICHAELS YOUTH CLUB
IT GOT KNOCKED DOWN AND THERE IS A NURSING HOME THERE NOW
ON MOWBRAY ROAD
I HAD SOME GREAT TIMES IN THERE
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Yeah it's strange but you could go there on a Sunday afternoon, watch the film with only enough money for a bag of crisps but you'd still be sooo happy, then there was a little disco afterwards, but I was always too shy to dance :oops: :roll: :oops:

Remember those psychedelic patterns the projector used to shine on the wall, soo funky :lol:
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Not a youth club, but can anyone remember Jean Heilbrons ( The Nook ) school of dancing on a Friday night ?

I used to go there when Sugar Sugar ( The Archies ), Spirit in the Sky ( Norman Greenbaum ) were Top of the Pops.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Axeman wrote:Not a youth club, but can anyone remember Jean Heilbrons ( The Nook ) school of dancing on a Friday night ?

I used to go there when Sugar Sugar ( The Archies ), Spirit in the Sky ( Norman Greenbaum ) were Top of the Pops
Great records
Heilbrons was only for posh kids..wasn't it?
I can see you now Axeman a true 1970's Billy Elliot, jumping around pretending to be a tree or the wind..great stuff :lol:

(wipes splurted coffee off 'puter screen)
:oops:
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

NOOOOOO Babs

Friday night was Disco night.....and I did very little dancing.

Woman used to have to constantly walk round shining a touch in the corners to make sure we were behaving.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Axeman wrote:NOOOOOO Babs
Friday night was Disco night.....and I did very little dancing.
Woman used to have to constantly walk round shining a torch in the corners to make sure we were behaving.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

I thought the girls just danced around their handbags

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Here's one of Trinity House (Youth Club)
that box thing/reception extension they've built on the old original building looks bleedin' awful
and spoils the look of the place :roll:

sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i used to go weight training there
years ago

when i was i lot thinner around the belly :cry:
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

youth clubs

Post by Sigsy »

there used to be a band that practiced in one of the rooms in the Percy Hudson Can't remember their name i went there for a couple of years in the sixties, then i was introduced to Mr Mckewan in the Scotia and the rest as they say is history :wink:
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
bcaerurfa
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: North Street Youth Club

Post by bcaerurfa »

The leader was John Reay (I worked with his wife at Tyne Chemical Company in River Drive). My wife played for his netball team, which was unbeaten for about five years. John was a perfectionist and demanded the same committment from the girls. My wife told me that many times after big wins they would leave the court feeling pretty good about themselves. John would point out their mistakes ensuring that complacency never crept in.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Youth Club

Post by ralph »

Someone in this thread mentioned 'The Bader Youth Club' in Beach Road, in the 1960s, well here is a photo taken in the club, of some mates, other members and me in 1961. I'm the one in the dark jacket and light pullover at the right. Some others in the photo are: Alan Peacock, Charlie Sibald, Billy Wilkinson and Peter Bianchi. I remember the cellar of the club being painted with Egyptian 'tomb' style paintings'.

Axeman also mentioned Jean Heilbron's dancing school, which was in West Avenue. I was an apprentice plumber at 'Hedley and Robertson's' further up the street, and Jean Heilbron was a customer of ours. She was one of the first of our customers to have a coloured bathroom suite installed (turquoise), which had to be specially ordered. We had to wait weeks for it to be delivered. In the meanwhile, Jean, (Miss Heilbron to me) had her bathroom walls covered in turquoise and black 'Vitralite', with scenes of ducks and reeds engraved into it - fabulous for the 1960's.

All was ready for the bathroom suite to be installed, and I went and got the barrow (remember apprentices pushing those :( ) and was loading the wash-basin and loo onto it. Unfortunately, the barrow tipped up (bad loading :shock: ) and most of it was smashed when it hit the ground. I still remember the feeling of dread when I had to tell the boss! All involved other than me are long dead, but the horror lives on :oops: :oops: :oops:

Despite my accident with the barrow, I later got an upgrade :D

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

bcaerurfa wrote:The leader was John Reay (I worked with his wife at Tyne Chemical Company in River Drive). My wife played for his netball team, which was unbeaten for about five years. John was a perfectionist and demanded the same committment from the girls. My wife told me that many times after big wins they would leave the court feeling pretty good about themselves. John would point out their mistakes ensuring that complacency never crept in.
What year was this?

I worked with John Reay of the "North Street club" for several years at the Co-op Emporium Westoe Road, and visited his home regularly. I got to know his first wife and son very well
from these visits and also my many visits to the club.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
bcaerurfa
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by bcaerurfa »

I worked at Tyne Chemical Company from 1952 to 1964. His wife was called Ellen, that was in 1952. I do believe he did work at the Co-Op. What was the name of his first wife and son? I think he married Ellen in 1951.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by trebor »

When barnes road school burned down we went to Tyne Dock Youth Club for a while for school. Had a class room set up in the snooker room. Had some great times in the club as a kid.

Went back the other day to the cave as it is now. Wierd seemed alot smaller than i remember, but loads of memories.

Why cant i see the phots that were posted showing the club and the streets around?
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I can't be sure of her first name; I always called her Mrs Reay, I didn't know the name of her very young son . She committed suicide and took her son with her, all over something trivial.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Anyone ever go to Whiteleas youth club?(the green hut)
Look to the future