big acts in south shields

Local History for Tyne & Wear
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Other than having seen him that day, I have only ever seen him on TV.

8)
para-wings
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by para-wings »

Delilahcat wrote:Glad to know you are an Elvis fan too Cisco. The first record I bought was the Jailhouse Rock EP. I was so much of a fan I bought his Elvis Sails EP which was a recording of the interview he gave before leaving to do his service in Germany.
I kept hoping he would tour the UK but of course it never happened. I've read two really good books by Peter Guralnick Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love which deal with the rise and decline of Elvis. Heartbreaking stuff. Peple always think of the overweight guy in the spangled jump suit but I always think of the young rocker.
Delilahcat, I'm an Elvis fan too. Been to Memphis 3 times and went in Graceland twice on each visit. I can't believe you have the Elvis Sails EP. I remember seeing it in the record shop in Frederick St in the early 80's. I wanted to buy it but it was a tenner which was alot of money for me as I was still at school. I didn't get it, and I regret it to this day. You don't want to part with yours, do you? :wink:
I've got both the books you mention as well, both a great read. Also, try 'Down At The End Of Lonely Street - The Life And Death Of Elvis Presley'. That's an entertaining read as well.
Believe it or not, I used to keep in touch with Kathy Westmoreland for some time, Elvis' soprano singer in the 70's. She told me a few revealing things, of course, nothing intimate, as she had an affair with him.
GeordieCannuk
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: big acts in south shields

Post by GeordieCannuk »

robpapE2 wrote:yep..Showaddy Waddy Waddy had the HQ of their fan club based at the Bailey Organisation doon the toon and lots of geet big cards would be posted there on a regular basis as there were around a bakers dozen in the band!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Quite right Rob,

My cousin ran their fanclub..
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Quite right Rob,

My cousin ran their fanclub..[/quote]

I think they are still going ..do you know ???? :hat37: :hello: :hat34: :angel10: :alien: Robpape aka Rockin Robbo (asks the question that the Bonzos once raised CAN BLUE MEN SING THE WHITES ??
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Sigsy »

The fist act i saw at the Latino was The Move the night before the singer packed in and Roy Wood took over i also Saw Tiny Tim, Alan Price and Georgie Fame, Bob Monkhouse he was brilliant. I remember seeing showaddywaddy and i think Shakin Stevens played there when it was the Tavern, i saw him at the sima club the old working mens clubs were great for up and coming acts i saw chubby brown at the whitelease club Frank Carson years before he was on tv Little and large and the Krankies ( but don't tell anyone please)
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Yes Sigsy there were some great acts around...but I would keep quiet about the Whiteleas Club..my experiences of that place are rather sour ones..too many grumpy old men for a start..my joke about the WC is that Eric Clapton would get paid off a half time for being too loud..

:lol: :lol: :lol: Red Robbo and the Biddick Hall Massive :arrow: :5bowtie:
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Sigsy »

Hi Rob They were only Quiet for the bingo when i used to go, all you could hear on a sunday was the sound of newspapers rustling and the comedian dieing, They sorted that by booking singers
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Roy Dotrice, a fine West End actor and his daughter Michelle Dotrice (Frank Spencer's Betty) played at the Pier Pavilion in the 1950s.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

And at 84 years of age; he is still going strong and making a film at the moment. Made quite a few TV appearances during the last year or so.
He is one of my favourite character actors. His three daughters are all in the entertainment business, with Michelle (Mrs Edward Woodward) being the best known.

8)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

Frank Spencer's Betty

is she married to edward woodward

i had a crush on her when i was a kid
:wink:
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

They certainly are married sless, they've been married for 20 years this year and have one kid. Edward Woodward is now 77 years old.

8)
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

the lucky bug*er

just had a look at a photo of her
she is a bit of alright
:wink:
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Sigsy wrote:The fist act i saw at the Latino was The Move the night before the singer packed in and Roy Wood took over i also Saw Tiny Tim, Alan Price and Georgie Fame, Bob Monkhouse he was brilliant. I remember seeing showaddywaddy and i think Shakin Stevens played there when it was the Tavern, i saw him at the sima club the old working mens clubs were great for up and coming acts i saw chubby brown at the whitelease club Frank Carson years before he was on tv Little and large and the Krankies ( but don't tell anyone please)
About Alan Price .....can you remember when he performed in Shields
somewhere along the coast and the people who were outside the enclosed arena had better sound than thiose who had paid to go in and see him ?????
styx1949
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by styx1949 »

The Cream opened the new cellar club in 1969, i was right in the front of the queue.