remember these sweets when you were a kid?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Do you remember Cadburys Country Style chocolate bars aswell.

I used to save up the little cartoon strips from the bubble gum
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I use to save the Bazooka cartoons as well Babs, bought it everyday

Cisco
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Deka
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Deka »

Babs did you used to be able to send the Bazooka cartoons away
for gifts at one time?
Look to the future
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

i once got a camera for sending so many cartoons away
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Don't think I ever sent any off?
can anyone remember Tudor crisps? they were always giving free gifts for sending in so many empty bags, (gawd to this day we are being told NOT TO HAVE ANYMORE CRISPS as they are bad for health)
anyway I got some 'flutterbyes' a kind of felt butterfly you pinned to yer clothes :lol:
TerryC
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by TerryC »

Babooshka wrote:can anyone remember Tudor crisps? they were always giving free gifts for sending in so many empty bags, (gawd to this day we are being told NOT TO HAVE ANYMORE CRISPS as they are bad for health)
anyway I got some 'flutterbyes' a kind of felt butterfly you pinned to yer clothes :lol:
Aye, I remember Tudor crisps well. :lol: Can't remember if it was with Tudor that I got some kites from.

Remember the telly advert about the paper lad looking up at the high rise block? :lol:

Terry :wink:
Never argue with an idiot. He just drags you down to his level and beats you with experience
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

just staying on the collecting thing, did anyone collect the little cards out of Brooke Bond tea, I used to love the prehistoric animals and saved stacks of them and my mam saved the orange stamp on the side :lol: :lol:
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

ive got a set of
fish
undersea creatures
and the 1973 fa cup winning side
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

I can remember the undersea creatures

here have a Spangle everyone

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I collected British wild flowers and butterflies.
You lot will be too young to remember collecting cigarette cards. My dad smoked a brand called Turf which was one of the last companies to give cards. This must have been late forties early fifties.
I also remember Candy cigarettes where you coul collect footballer and cricketer cards.
Kids today would laugh at this.
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Babooshka wrote:just staying on the collecting thing, did anyone collect the little cards out of Brooke Bond tea, I used to love the prehistoric animals and saved stacks of them and my mam saved the orange stamp on the side :lol: :lol:
yup I found some of those Brooke Bond cards too when I was going through my archives ...But back to the plot...I used to hate all those cough sweets that tasted like chloroform ..they reminded me of visits to the dentists ...STOKER THE POKER in Laygate ..not very nice ..eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: all my teeth as a genuine old codger are like the stars ...they come out at neet !!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

:lol: :lol: do you put them in a little glass and then they grin at you while you're in bed

I remember Stoker, was he the dentist over the road from Stanhope Parade clinic??
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Talking about Bazooka Joes ( flat bubble gum )

Can anyone remember the same type of thing, but each card had a different picture.

Always gory with lots of blood and guts. I can remember the ghoulish interest we all had in them.

One set was Mars Attack ( or something like that ) I think the film might have been based on them.

The other set was the American Civil War scenes.

Only cartoons but quite detailed.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
TerryC
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by TerryC »

Axeman wrote:Talking about Bazooka Joes ( flat bubble gum )

Can anyone remember the same type of thing, but each card had a different picture.

Always gory with lots of blood and guts. I can remember the ghoulish interest we all had in them.

One set was Mars Attack ( or something like that ) I think the film might have been based on them.

The other set was the American Civil War scenes.

Only cartoons but quite detailed.

Aye, I used to collect them ones. :lol:

When I was young and impressionable. :lol:

Terry :wink:
Never argue with an idiot. He just drags you down to his level and beats you with experience
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

Someone in the trade was saying that sweets are a main stay of newsagents and small shops..even when cigarette sales are going down..the sweets that kids buy are constant..also there are always new products on the market to rot your teeth ...!!!!!
never mind enjoy that chocolate Santa or box of chocolate biscuits at Xmas !!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
bril422
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bril422 »

Can you remember the cards you used to collect you used to get about three cards in and one bit of flat chewing gum in it used to have a small amount of white powder on it. And if it was anything less than room temperature it used to just crumble and it did not even resemble chewing gum.The cards i used to collect where (Thunderbird cards)when you used to turn the cards over and put them together they made a great big picture.Never ever finished it.
*****COME ON SHIELDS*******
bluekats

Post by bluekats »

in australia we used to have these lollies called FAGS…. They were little white candy sticks that had a red tip on them like a lit cigarette…. Then it was changed to FADS….i think the change was two fold, to be politically correct as homosexuals became to be known as fags, and, that of promoting smoking to children.. Notice how the clouds look like smoke rings.
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

test
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

test

match