Searching for info on the Mountain family.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
topc4t
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Searching for info on the Mountain family.

Post by topc4t »

Hi, I am currently building my family tree & have found out my late Dad was born in South Shields (Saville Street to be exact!) in March 1927. His father, also called Walter Thomas, was a merchant seaman. His mother was Mary Ann (nee Simpson).
I know he was in the Royal Marines but always thought he was from Plymouth, as some of his family were living there. And, assumption being a wonderful thing!!??, just thought he was born in Plymouth (Royal Marines = Plymouth, know what i'm saying!?) anyway you can imagine my surprise when i found out he was from sunny South Shields! :oops:

If anyone knows anything or can point me in the right direction for any info, i will be eternally grateful.

Cheers,
Tracey. :wink:
Tracey
An english woman in Scotland!
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

there is a man called kenny mountain
he lived in st vincent street when i grew up
he has a daughter called angela(41)
he is in a band called beckett
he doesnt look like no marine though
good singer though
hahaha
hope this helps
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

There were a number of people called Mountain living in the Tyne Dock area in the forties and fifties. Thornton Avenue and Porchester Street. You could try the electoral rolls for those areas held in South Shields library. If you don't live in Shields I'll try and have a look for you if you send me a pm with some details.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Just remembered that when I was doing my family tree I contacted people of the same name in the phone book and found some cousins.
topc4t
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by topc4t »

Sless - thanks for that i will look into it; although its a shame he's not a singing Marine, that conjurs up many an image.....!! :lol:

Delilahcat - thanks for the info also. Unfortunately I live in Scotland and am trying to do as much as i can on the internet, although me & my brother were thinking of coming down for a weekend to see what we can find out. Thanks for the offer of looking for me - I'll pm you with details, much appreciated! :D
Tracey
An english woman in Scotland!
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

sless wrote:there is a man called kenny mountain
he lived in st vincent street when i grew up
he has a daughter called angela(41)
he is in a band called beckett
he doesnt look like no marine though
good singer though
hahaha
hope this helps
I remember Kenny Mountain Sless, before he played in Beckett he was in a band called Yellow and he was the singer, they used to play at The New Cown , about 67 - 68 period.
Daughter 41 he must have young when he had her.

Beckett are still going but without Terry Slessor.

Cisco
Norm
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Searching for info on the Mountain family.

Post by Norm »

There was also a family named Mountain lived in South Close, about number 12, at the Nook. Their (Grand?)son was called Brian and used to live down South somewhere. Sorry I cannot remember any more.