Hanlons Grocer Shops

Local History for Tyne & Wear
george
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Hanlons Grocer Shops

Post by george »

Does anyone have any memories of a chain of Grocer Shops known as Hanlons based in the South Shields/Jarrow area? it was taken over by another company in the 60s.

Trying to work out if my great grans brother Michael started this business or not.

So if anyone can remember this business or the family that owned the shops, I'd love to know.

Michaels children were Harold, Donald, Eileen and Arthur.

George
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Hanlon's shop

Post by urfa »

my mother lodged her ration books during wwll with Hanlon's, that shop was on the corner of Maxwell Street and what remained of George Street the council was removing that area in 1938, we lived above Jerry's shop in Maxwell Street at the time, later on around 1943 we moved to Back Eldon street beside Cansfields trucking firm, and then we shopped at Hanlons on the corner of laygate Lane and Eldon Street. I have no idea who started the business though, but gee you brought the memories back.
Take care, Urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Re: Hanlons Grocer Shops

Post by hencree »

my grandad used to drive a horse and waggon for hanlons they had their warehouse at the top of Alexander st just off Dean rd at the dens end the stables were in the back-lane behind dean rd they had a few shop in and around shields and at least one in jarrow
george wrote:Does anyone have any memories of a chain of Grocer Shops known as Hanlons based in the South Shields/Jarrow area? it was taken over by another company in the 60s.

Trying to work out if my great grans brother Michael started this business or not.

So if anyone can remember this business or the family that owned the shops, I'd love to know.

Michaels children were Harold, Donald, Eileen and Arthur.

George
german john
Motor Mouth
Motor Mouth

Post by german john »

Used to be a Hanlons grocery store on the corner of Barnes Rd and John Williamson St.in the early 60s.
GERMAN JOHN
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

My Uncle George Lynn was a manager for Hanlon's. They were a family firm later taken over by Moores. There was a shop in South Eldon Street beside Kennedys and one on Slake Terrace. They had branches in Jarrow as well.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

My Dad's cousin (I think his name was Billy Pippet) was married to a daughter of the Hanlon's, but I don't have much informaton other than that. My Grandmothers maiden name was Sarah Purvis, and Billy Pippet's mother, was Sarah's sister. My Great Grandmother's name was also Sarah, nee Barton, and she was married to a Michael Purvis, who on Gran's birth cerificate, dated 1879 has his occupation listed as Sea Pilot (Apprentice) All sounds a bit complicated, but it was a long time ago :-)I hope this throws a little light on your question.
sanddancerjo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by sanddancerjo »

My nanna Margaret Ord Ball nee West used to work in Hanlon's in South Shields, I believe she was a manageress, does anyone have any photographs of the shop, or indeed does anyone know of my nanna?

My great grandad used to own a shop called "Wests" on Nile Street at Holborn opposite the Trinity Church, his name was Joseph Pittuck West, I think the shop was a general dealer but also stocked seaman related items, it is possible there were 2 shops, 1 a general dealer and one a seamans shop ... if anyone has any information at all it would be lovely to hear from you. :D
Pattap
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Pattap »

Patrick Hanlon 1835-1912. Had 4 sons an 2 daughters. John, Terence, Joseph, Thomas, Elizabeth and Agnes.

The following was sent to me in the 1990's by a member of this family as I was researching this family at that time - one of my son's family lines.

'An old fellow named Hanlon lost either an arm or a hand in a Gateshead cokeworks accident. He supported his family in a hut by rearing chickens in the Team Valley and wheeled his barrow daily to the Newcastle markets. His son Patrick followed him and when he (Patrick) died he left 12 shops - two of the shops were given to his daughter. Elizabeth Hanlon (Dove)'. .

The old fellowed referred to was John Hanlon who came to this country from Ireland in the 1840's, Patrick was born in Ireland c 1835/6.
'Patrick at some stage went bankrupt and took of for the USA where he made a 'fortune' (not known how!) He returned to Tyneside and repaid his depts and started the Hanlon stores. He was in advance of his time as the early shops were more like todays supermarkets - selling everything. No credit was given and apparently there were eventually 400 stores which my father thinks is very unlikely as the area was quite small..

My grandfather started training as a doctor but had to take over the running of the stores with Terry with their expansion, Terry, I gather, wasn't particularly interested and it was Joseph who was the brains of the whole business..

Thomas wanted to be a musician but his father died when he was 20 and he was forced to help run the stores with Terry. When Terry died his second wife Gertie took over the running of the businesses, putting in various members of her family over which there seems to have been some ill-feeling! My grandmother also became involved when Joseph died (presumably in the war years when Thomas was in Burma) but knew nothing about business matters and the whole thing became a bit of a mess. Granny Hanlon died in 1960 and the stores were sold out to Moores... at a loss. Tom stayed on as estate manager...'.

'The Hanlon family were well known in the South Shields area, their chain of grocery stores in the area were taken over after the war by 'Laws Stores' who themselves were taken over by the Argyl/Presto FineFare group..

The Hanlons lived in a biggish house in Harton, which at that time was a wealthy suburb of South Shields...'.
AnnClavering
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by AnnClavering »

Further to the earlier comments on the Hanlon family and grocery stores. Patrick Hanlon’s 4th son, Joseph, was my grandfather. I never met him as he died in 1931 before I was born but I understood that he ran a chain of family grocery stores. He married Mary Heads and they had two children – my mother Mary Agnes Hanlon (always called Maysie) born in 1907, and my uncle Thomas Hanlon born in 1911. Tom, apparently, took over the running of the grocery stores on the death of his father. He married Kay Bell but they had no children.
I remember visiting the Hanlon stores with my uncle when I stayed with him and my aunty Kay one summer holiday just after the war. They lived in Cleadon Village near South Shields. My family lived in the south of England and I travelled up to Newcastle by train on my own at the age of ten!
Uncle Tom loved classical music and was interested in electronics, producing his own hi-fi radio equipment and speakers. He spent the war years in Burma as a radio operator. After the war
I understood that Tom was ahead of his time going to America to look at their new supermarket stores with the intention of changing Hanlon’s into mini supermarkets. However, this didn’t catch on and he later sold out to Moore’s becoming one of their directors until he retired.