Where did you hang out?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I'm sure the people who moved into our house were called Currie.
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

That's right Pilot, they were called Curry (Denis) and as Pete said, I do know him.
Alan Brown, who I also was good friends with lived over the road, it must be 6 or 7 years since I last seen him.
Peter Hayes I've never seen for about 40 years, he went to sea.
At school he went about with a lad called Ivan Fairless.
I remember Peter giving Jimmy (slim) Knox a good hiding outside Redwell school gates.
The Hitchim family I did'nt know much about as they did'nt mix with anybody.
I also went to Horsely Hill juniors Pete, I was in Mrs Kings class, if anybody remembers her.

Cisco
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

People I remember from Grotto road up till when I left in 1960 are, Next door to me Peter and Edward Kaveney they had a little sister also, John, Ann and Susan Wilkinson, Betty, Alan, Janice, Norman and Harry Wagget, Joan Carnaby, Avril Willis she had two older sisters I think they were called Queenie and Mary, Billy Brown, Duncan Wright, Peter and Barry Hayes, John Lawson, there was a lad called Stuart White, David Turnbull he had a sister called I think Moira. There are more I think but need to think some more it was 46 years ago. Cisco is your name in among that lot?
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I know all them names Pilot, a couple of them you got wrong, it's not David Turnbull it's Allan and he did have sister called Myra (fat girl) he also had an older sister and younger brother as well as Myra.
Joan parnaby not carnaby.
Avril Willis I knew very well.
Peter Kaveny's younger sister was called Jean.
John Lawson was a big head who thought he was a tough guy when he was'nt.
No Pilot my name is not among them, I will have knocked about there after you had moved as you were not in number 22 then.
You forgot to mention SGT. Walls who is still there, the beatons Geordie Lyons.
Bobby Brown who lived in the corner house beside the garages who had two daughters the youngest being Linda.
John Pearson (mad as a hatter).
Bobby Peel. The Clarks.

Just a few more to stretch your memory Pilot.

Cisco
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

There are some you mentioned I dont recall but the Clarks I remember lived over the road from us the Father was a miner. Bobby Brown in the corner did he work for rediffusion he had a rediffusion van. PC Walls lived at No 40 I see him sometimes in Morrisons at Seaburn he wouldnt know me. There was another policeman called Bell lived in the street as well and a lad called Thornton, in the bungalow next to our house was an old couple called Galloway, the funny thing is all this was nearly 50 years ago and I have lived in my present house for 31 years and apart from a couple of doors either side I know very few names. If you still see the lad who moved into our house you can tell him it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me, moving down to Newcastle Under Lyme, I hated the place. I thought we were moving up the road to Newcastle till a few weeks before we left, still I did my time (4 years) and got back home to Shields by the time I was 16.
I voted leave

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Barbara Bainbridge bye the names are coming back now, her family I think moved down from Scotland, the father was a fireman I think, they had a baby who died, it sticks in my mind because of the tiny little coffin, must have been about 50 years ago.
I voted leave

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Anyone know John Wilkinson who lived down there, his father worked on the buses.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Pilot you mention Barbara Banibridge, are sure She was not called Beaton as her husband was Scottish, he was a boy scout leader.
I remember Norman Bell the Policeman he once showed me round the black museum upstairs in the Keppell Street Police station.
The Thornton would be Kenneth Thornton who was younger than us.
I remember the Galloways also the old lady next doot to them called Mrs Tate who threw a bucket of water over me and Alan Brown in the garden of 22.
Denis the lad who got your house lived in Newcastle Under Lyme for about 9 years on Bradwell Lane, he went to Bradwell secondary modern school, he said he liked down there, but he was only young when he went there, He went back for a visit once and said he would never go back.

Cisco
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I knew John Wikinson Baldy, Pilot also mentioned him.
His father did work on the buses. I remember him coming home with his uniform on, Quiet man.

Cisco
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

A nice family Cisco. The father was a friend of my father who also worked on the buses. I knew young John from when his father asked me to help him with his health and fitness as he only had one lung. So he took up weight training with me and a couple of others I was training.
He filled out a fair bit but was never strong. The last time I saw him was in Cleadon Club quite a few years back, he was quite tall and had filled out a lot, was still as nice a bloke as he was when a teenage. He was living on that estate on the left; just past York Avenue on the way to the motorway; at that time.

8)
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

John Wilkinson was one of my best fiends back then, the last time I remember seeing him was New Years Eve 1969 in the Latino, I have a photo, him, Peter Kaveney and me with girl friends, his dad was a conductor on the Bede bus which went from Marsden to Bede trading estate. Mr Tate shot my cat with an air rifle, he was a keen gardener and my cat loved his vegetable patch, enough said. The Beaton's lived at No30 I think they had a son and a daughter, the Bainbridges lived across the street next to what was Billy Browns house. Now you may be able to help me with something I have wondered about for years, do you recall a Mrs Dale? she lived at No 28, I'll leave it at that for now.
I voted leave

Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I knew Mrs Dale very well Pilot, I remember when it was my eighteenth birthday I was down Shields on the afternoon and bumped into her, I told her it was my birthday and she took me to the Mechanics for a drink, she bought my beer all afternoon in there I could hardly stand when I came out.
She was married to a Norwegian seaman, they had a son called Denis.
She died a few years back.

Cisco
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Cisco did Ivan Fairless knock about with Davey Marsh. Davey is good mates with Baldys brother Jacky.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Hello Pete, I used to know Davey Marsh very well, he was a nice lad but it must be over 30 years since I seen him. He lived at the top end of Grotto Road, his brother Tommy still lives there.
As for knocking about with Ivan Fairless I don't think he did, Davey used to sit with us in the Marsden Inn, the lad he he was mates with in them days was Malcolm Taylor.
I never seen Ivan in the Marsden Inn and the last time I seen him was at a school reunion about 15 years ago, he used to live above the shops in Fallow Road, short stocky lad with blonde hair.
He has his own electrical business and his van has his name on it in huge letters, lives out durham way as far as I know.

Where's davey drinking these days, if he's mates with Jacky it must be the Cleadon Club.

Cisco
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Cisco/Pilot had forgotten a lot of the names, as you say it was a long time ago.Used to go to Sunderland games with Peter Kavney, Bobby Peel lives in Jarrow and used to belong to the church I am a member of till 3 or 4 years ago. Alan Turnbull is the top man in the town with the Boys Brigade.
Jacky and Davey drink in the club and the Marsden Inn, Jacky reckons the Lake is a dump now full of tossers and druggies.
Cisco did you used to ride the rattler home from Horsley Hill school, I remember coming home on it with Peter Hayes and jumping off at the squatters huts one afternoon. We noticed one block of huts was on fire with everyone running about. It turned out a lad called Ridley had tried to light the stove with petrol and the flames had spread inside the roof void.
He was an unlucky lad he fell in a vat of beer at Westoe Brewery when he was about 15 and drowned.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I remember jumping onto the Marsden rattler for a lift to Horsley Hill Juniors, also we used to put six inch nails on the track for the train to flatten into arrow heads, do you remember Mrs Bells newsagent when it was a hut in the middle of the squatter camp before they got a shop in Fallow road? I had to go for my Dads Sunday papers and was always getting chased by the squatters.
I voted leave

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember Bells shop, sweets were still rationed in them days. When they moved to Fallow Road I had a paper round with them,cannot really remember Mrs Bell it was always Pa Bell and Richie Benham who organised paper rounds.
Can you remember the row of houses on Redwell lane next to the Squatters huts, used to have to pass them when I went with Ken and Alan Smith to their dads allotment. One of the houses had a pet monkey in the yard. We used to be wary of a lad that lived there who was head and shoulders above us. When they pulled them down he moved to Lake Avenue and became my lifelong friend. Cisco will know him Bill Cauwood is his name, he now lives in Cleadon village, went on holiday together with our families to Corfu a couple of years ago.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I can well remember the houses running down Redwell bank, there was a house that was running a betting shop, very naughty, and my elder sister and I used to put my Dads bets on for him on the way to school, a scribbled note with the money wrapped up in it, when they pulled the houses down the people who ran the betting shop moved to Lizard Lane.
I voted leave

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I knew the Di ckinson family who lived in that row of houses, the daughter fancied our Jacky.
I knew the Cauwood family from Whitburn, they lived in the old Marsden Village for yonks, a well known family in Whitburn. As were the Di ckinsons.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I remember Big Bill Cauwood Pete very quiet lad who did'nt bother anyone, I think he worked in the shipyards, done alright for his self if he's living in Cleadon Village
I had a paper round with Pa Bells shop he was a real bad tempered old stick, his wife was a little well made woman quite pleasant, different to him.
The lad I remember working in the shop and practically running it was called Ronnie who thought he was going to get the shop but Pa Bell sold it to the man who lived in the flat above, Hedley was his name if I remember right, swapped his flat for Winnie Buckles house in the cul-de-sac in Grotto Road.
I remember Ken and Alan Smith, I think Alan had his own building business he served his time as a joiner and worked on the QE2, never knew what happened to his brother Ken, they lived opposite the Lake.
No I did'nt ride the rattler from school, but used to ride it from Marsden to Shields hanging on the back, one of the Luther family from the Hill fell off and lost both his legs.
Alan Turnbull must have been in the boys brigade for about 50 years, I can't believe he's still there, his dad was also on the buses Baldy as was Mr Curry over the road to him until he went to sea.
Odd times I've been in the Marsden Inn I've never bumped into them, Paul Maxwell Bobby's brother is always in the bar.

Cisco