Where did you hang out?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

mine was working in the library ..checking out the women coming in and some of the staff too !!!!!!!!

oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
daveelsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Where did you hang out?

Post by daveelsy »

This thread brings back great memories. I lived in Norfolk Road but delivered papers for 'Pa' Bell for several years from 1958. I used to cut through the 'squatters' as we called the huts, to go to Fallow Road before Grotto Gardens was built. I eventually got sacked for organising a srike among the paper lads to try and get more wages. I used to get 10 bob (50p) for delivering Sunday and evening papers and collecting the money on Friday nights. Even with 10 bob I used to feel rich! After the New Musical Express, a Strawberry Mivvi, and 10 Woodbines I still had enough left to give my mother 5 bob.
I went out with Joan Carnaby (yes... Carnaby NOT Parnaby) who lived at 36 Grotto Road and knew all the people mentioned as I used to hang around the street after I had finished my papers. Joan was a real stunner..... even at 14 years old! I kept in touch with her and her family since then but they have gradually died off, Joan herself dying suddenly just before Christmas.

They were great times...... the 'good old days'
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

i'm sorry to hear Joan died she must only have been about 66 and yes she lived at 36 I'm almost sure i bumped into her around 1966 at a party and I think she was a nurse at that time but i might be wrong.
I voted leave

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Where did I hang out? Gawd - where to start!!!

I lived mostly in Whiteleas - our house was one end of the block in the middle of Gainsborough, and Montymart's was the other end of the block.
In the early days, there were no houses behind us, and we could see right over to Cleadon Hills.
We used to hang around the back fields between, where the Girls school is now (although I think they let boys go there now!) and the allotments. That was all Holder House farm, or, as we knew it, Bailey's farm, and we used to ride the cows in the field - that was all swamp most of the year - right where Holder House is now. I also remember a very deep well there, which would have been right where the road runs along between the new school and Holder House. Further round, between Whiteleas and Boldon, was Spooky Valley - a swamp / tip that the council were filling up with garbage. I heard the big hole was caused by a bomber crashing there in WW2. There were some huge rats there, and Shep used to shoot them.

We also hung out around Whiteleas and Nevi shops and in the garages and little backfields some of the blocks had. Temple Park was another popular spot, with the black paths and lots of little spooky areas. We also hung out at Harton Colliery while they were demolishing it, and up the dismantled railway between Tyne Dock and Boldon, where Boldon Crossings was another popular rendezvous spot. We used to pick blackberries along the lines between Whiteleas and Biddick Hall. Across from our houses were fields - we used to have huge bonties on them every Guy Fawkes - but now they are all built up - Sutherland Court and fogies bungalows!!

If we were feeling adventurous, we'd head out for Cleadon Hills or Cleadon Village (the Poshies, as we called it), or West Hall and Whitburn - looking for shells at the ranges until the soldiers chased you away! Also, cycling down town and through the Jarrow pedestrian tunnels was fun, too. If you wanted a scrap, you could venture down into the darkness that was Biddick Hall or the Nookside - or even the Deans!! And climb into the back of Wrights biccies to plunder the garbaged biscuits!!

The side of Temple Park that ran along King George Road was mostly a dump when we were kids, and we used to rummage through the garbage there regularly, looking for "treasures"!! :) It's a wonder we didn't catch all kinds of diseases hanging out there! And now it's the leisure centre!! LOL

Jeez, I could go on for hours on this subject - the s**t we used to get up to - nowadays kids are far too soft!! No helmets and knee and elbow pads for us!! A cut or a scratch was a badge of honour - How many stitches did you get this time??? :D :D :D
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Barney me John Milne, Tommy Robinson, Gordon Esdale (befor he got knocked down) used to go to the ponds at the bottom of Whiteleas Way next to the school also the shops on Whiteleas Way ps we used to fight the Robinsons, a lot remember a time when I fought Vincent and your Maureen came round smacked her as well every one used to fight it was great also the playground.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Barney we all used to fight the Robinsons, Ian, Jimmy and Janet that was fun.
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

martymont wrote:Barney we all used to fight the Robinsons, Ian, Jimmy and Janet that was fun.
Hi martymont!

It was so strange there - half the time we were all friends, and half the time we were all fighting!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And we all used to run away from Robert Steadman, too! Remember him?
And poor old Terry - "I knaa the game!"
And old George popeye Wilson!
We always seemed to be scrapping with the Scott's, too, next door to you.

There always seemed to be lots to do in Whiteleas, whether just hanging around playing daft games - levergo, anyone?
Or footie, or just generally getting up to mischief.
The Yellow Hut was popular, too, until they knocked that down.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Barney Dodger used to threaten us with the lollipop man esdales moved when gordon got knocked down and the Lawrensons moved in, also used to knock around with Colin Mcqueen, Ray Coffer, Mick Jeffels, Grampi, Ray Coates, etc. Fun days
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

I deleted my last post because I thought some of the stuff I said was personal - Thank you for the PM Barney :)
Barney wrote:There always seemed to be lots to do in Whiteleas, whether just hanging around playing daft games - levergo, anyone?
Levergo - Yes. We used to hide as far away as Harton pit. :D There was also a war thing going on with the Catholics and Protestants in our street [-X I remember balling up a bit of clay and attaching it on the end of a stick cos you could fling your missile that bit further - Ahhh happy days :)
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

We used to just go on the bus down street, Barney remember the watchie when they were building the flats next to us we used to play there he was the fastest watchie I had ever seen. Spooky Valley was fun your right we used to fight each other all the time.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Barney I used to work for Ted Key the greengrocer then Brian Tait on the milk and as a bottle boy at the Shoreline to make a bit pocket money. And hang around the Duster which was run by Dot and Jim as well as the Fad.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Barney Dodger Wilson "lollipop man ill get ya bloody lollipop man" classic lines. :lol: :lol:
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Ha ha! We used to *acquire* mars bars n stuff outta Roses, but Barry Swainston was too crafty - had it all behind glass!
Aye, montymart, it use to be thruppence (3 OLD pennies) on the bus each way for a kid downtown.
Or we`d cycle over to the pedestrian tunnel in Hell - I mean - Jarrow, and go under the river.

I remember that watchie, too. We used to jump over the walkways between the huts on Gainsborough when they were building Sutherland Court.
And sledge down the big hill of soil they piled there, in front of Melvin`s house.

Good times!
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Trow Rocks all summer long. Camel island as well
I always value Pilots wit and input
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Cleadon Hills, Marsden Quarry, the ponds and old railway tack at the limestone quarry in Marsden and of course Marsden beach especially the velvet beds. We used to rake around the old tip next to Trow rocks after school sometimes. Who needed skate parks, playgrounds, theme parks and the like when we could go to these attractions.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

captain beefheart wrote:Cleadon Hills, Marsden Quarry, the ponds and old railway tack at the limestone quarry in Marsden and of course Marsden beach especially the velvet beds. We used to rake around the old tip next to Trow rocks after school sometimes. Who needed skate parks, playgrounds, theme parks and the like when we could go to these attractions.
You forgot to mention the dungeons and the reservoirs.Used to go hunting at the old rubish tip where the army camp for the guns was after coming out of Horsley Hill school, can remember bringing holiday brochures home that I picked up from there. That was the good old days when we holidayed every year at Wor Gate.
adb1969
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by adb1969 »

Used to live near the Fountain Inn, and hung about the Harton Cemetery, Trow Rocks and Camel Island in the summer, Blackberry hill near the old air-raid shelter (is it still there? Left shields in 1979). Not forgetting the Leas!