BRIGHAMS

Local History for Tyne & Wear
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Not personally, but they did have an ice cream base on Laygate Lane just opposite the school, many years ago. They also had a small place in a back lane behind Westoe Road around near Stainton Street. They were a small family business but I liked their ice cream. Of course there was also Davis Bros, don't know it they are still going or not.
I left the Co-op when I was about 19 and went to train as an office machinery mechanic before delving into gaming machines; which paid a good bit more; and I did not have to travel to Newcastle every day.

8)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Porettas had an ice cream parlour in Frederick Street at one time. They also sold ice cream, sweets and cigarettes from a van. Their ice cream was not as good as Minchellas.
Davis sold ice creams from vans. Their factory was at Westoe - same side as Westoe pub on the block before Sunderland Road. Don't think they are still in business.
tonnee
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

porrettas

Post by tonnee »

hey i remember them they had a parlour in frederick street in the seventies
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

They had a parlour there in the forties and fifties, remember it well. It was opposite the big store "Bruce and Hall" rivals of Allens. I lived just around the corner in Havelock Street.
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

I went to visit my mother today, I notice there's a club for sale in the Gazette, around Brighams...is that it ?

I think it's £350,000.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM