allens store

Post by jimmywizz »

photo of an old token from allens store at laygate
http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... e_coin.htm
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Remember them well, I don't think I would have had a school uniform without my mother's stash of Allen's "funny money"!
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Got my first dining suite from there 1980 something.

School clothes we were all Provi cheques in our house.

That was until me muther worked out how much she was paying back.

Clothes shops...Fowler Street 70's, something BOUTIQUE and that shop that sold all the indian style joss sticks, clothes, chimes and stuff.

I got a few pair of loons from there. Green denim/canvas with indian style embroidary up to the knees

White and purple tie and dye grandad vests. Wrangler Jeans ( pink thin cordaroy)

Topped off with calf length zip up boots from Riddicks.

Went to school in mocassins once. :oops:

What a sight :lol:
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Axeman. Was the shop called "Beau Brummels"? I didnt use the place, but it was put out of buisines due to staff giving mates "special" discounts. Those who didnt get the special discount, just nicked the stuff. :shock:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Yeah that was it Jim.

I remembered this morning, but you beat me to it.

Beau Brummels, I think it was further up Fowler Street at one time, closed, then opened again on the corner.

Run by two guys if I remember rightly.

I think the next corner up was the Indian/hippy type shop. Don't suppose you can remember the name of that.

Bought an Afghan coat from there as well.

Well named, coz when it rained and got wet, I used to smell like a dog.

They was another small shop across the road from Beaus as well. further down next door to Hintons ( where I used to work ) was it Watsons or something like that.

I remember I got a cool Wrangler jacket from there.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Axeman wrote: further down next door to Hintons ( where I used to work ) was it Watsons or something like that.

I remember I got a cool Wrangler jacket from there.
Was it called Chris B. Watsons?
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Yeah thats it

Chris B Watsons

We used to get deliveries to Hintons behind The Ablemarle.

Remember one day guy from Chris B Watson sneaking out of their back door looking to get a 'free sample' out all the delivery stuff lined up in back yard.

Cheeky Monkey :lol:

Hintons ah those were the days.

I don't know if anyone can remember, but just round the corner from Fowler Street, going into Kepple St, there used to be a delivery hatch in the pavement.

It was a delivery chute into the cellar storeroom.

Used to get packs of beans etc sliding down that chute at god knows how many MPH.

Good rugby training.......... if I played it. :shock:

Packs of flour from Spillers. they used to catch on a portruding nail or something and burst open on the way down.

I used to come out of there looking like Marleys Ghost.

It was just one big laugh the time I spent there, especially with the girls round the back and all that.

Smallest store Hintons had, but it made more profit per square foot than any of it's other stores.

I'm not sure if it was one of Shields first self serve supermarkets or was that Hadrians Stores ?.

Marsden Road, now Gurnhams.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Firstly what a great site - wonder if this reply will be read tho'

I used to go around ALLENS with my mam and loved mooching around there, when it changed hands to Hedley Young it went right downhill imo

Axeman the boutique in Fowler Street was MONIQUE I think??
Always remember gawping in the window as a kid and not being able to afford anything in there! (still got a strong wiff of joss sticks though)
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Babooshka wrote:Firstly what a great site - wonder if this reply will be read tho'

I used to go around ALLENS with my mam and loved mooching around there, when it changed hands to Hedley Young it went right downhill imo

Always remember gawping in the window as a kid and not being able to afford anything in there! (still got a strong wiff of joss sticks though)
Was Allens the shop where when you paid, the money was sent through a series of tubes to the cash office and your receipt came back the same way?
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Pooter wrote:
Babooshka wrote:Firstly what a great site - wonder if this reply will be read tho'

Was Allens the shop where when you paid, the money was sent through a series of tubes to the cash office and your receipt came back the same way?
I'm not sure but I think they used to do that in Woolworths down King Street??
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

They used to do it at Binns. I think they were called Lamson tubes. All of the big stores in Newcastle had them. I remember them when we used to go to Isaac Waltons for school uniforms.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I don't know if anybody remembers the Cash Clothing Company in King Street, they also used money tubes.
I used to buy my powder blue jeans there, they were all the rage in them days.
they were a better quality there than anywhere else.

Cisco
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember looking at an old picture of Laygate and Allens was once a theatre maybe that explains the quaint layout of the place.
cushy butterfield
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by cushy butterfield »

They had the cash tubes in Binns I can remeber them. and going upstairs to the tea room with my Mam for tea and cakes and seeing my Headmistress from Westoe All girls school there. Don't have stores like that anymore shame :(
life is not how many breathes you take its how much life takes your breath away
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

The subject of these cash tubes was covered in another post some time ago.
They had them in the Co-op Emporium, Westoe Road when I worked there in the early fifties. One or two other places had them also. There was also a similar type which were catapulted along wires in other smaller shops.
One of my jobs at the Co-op was to start up the machine each morning which powered the system. It was a very large and powerful machine, must have cost a bomb to run (electric powered).

8)
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

allens stores

Post by robpapE2 »

as far as I remember the smell of joss sticks came from A JOINT which as well as being a place for hippy clothes sold OZ and International Times and of course got raided by the police!!!!! I always remember the Hippy Park near Wiggs and Minchellas where lads and lasses used to show off their hippy threads
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Yeah that place in on the corner in Fowler Street was full of hippy stuff....got my Afghan coat there. And my joss sticks and cones.

Still not sure if it was called MONIQUES though like Babs suggested ????

Think it's Cash Converters or something now.

You should of seen my bedroom about that time.

Dark Blue carpet, Purple bed clothes, Purple Wallpaper and a Blue Light Bulb. Could hardly see a thing. I wonder if that's why my eyes are shot now. :lol:

Weird environment though when MEDDLE was playing by Pink Floyd.

I actually wore a bare patch in the carpet where I used to sit with my headphones on.

AHH those were the days.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re:

Post by ralph »

Babooshka wrote:
Pooter wrote:

I'm not sure but I think they used to do that in Woolworths down King Street??
Yes, Allens did have that cash handling system - it fascinated me as a kid!