Gandhi's Temple

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Gandhi's Temple

Post by Sandy »

You know the bandstand near The Sanddancer pub? Well, I've always known it as the bandstand but my Dad tells me that people of his generation called it 'Gandhi's Temple' but he doesn't know why. Anyone know?
Sandy
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

not sure but i have have always called it that to
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

here is a photo of it on a flood day :o :lol:
http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... floods.htm
offthewall
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by offthewall »

I always knew it as 'ghandi's temple'.
I have fond memories of using it as a 'musical rehearsal room'. The acoustics were 'fab'.
8)
I have a few mental pictures of this. One is of myself with an old acoustic guitar and a young lady called ********** trying to learn to play 'suzanne' by Leonard Cohen.
:cry:
Another is of a group of us 'young lads' trying out a four part harmony in the style of the beach boys, etc. It was a great place to sit and get a good sound.
:wink:
And always known as Ghandi's temple!!
:shock:
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Great, offthewall...you always come out with an atmospheric story or two!! My first memory of it was being wheeled past in my pushchair!!!!!Sooooooo, seems like it was always Gandhi's Temple tho' this is new to me. I suppose I can see that it looks a bit like a temple but the Gandhi bit? Perhaps all it is, is that the name Gandhi was in the news a lot at that time, and Gandhi's Temple became a fond way of describing this quite grand bandstand. Apart from offthewall :) ......does anyone remember bands or orchestra actually playing in it?
Sandy
Normski
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Normski »

Aye, it has always been Ghandi's temple, even my Grandad used to call it that. Don't know when it gained the name, but it must have been after Ghandi's peace protests.

As to uses for the place it was well known for taking girls to for a quick snog, not that I ever got up to such things of course :oops:
Take Care,

Normski