Baring School South Shields

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Quantock35
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Baring School South Shields

Post by Quantock35 »

Hi,
My Dad was born in 1920 at 10 Robertson Street South Shields.
He went to Baring School.
I come from Southampton where my Dad moved to in 1942 after being in the Merchant Navy.
He had 7 brothers and sisters.
I am researching my Dads Family.
Last year I came to South Shields, and went to the area where the fort is, and also looked inside the School building( which is not being used as a School anymore).
People in South Shields were so helpful,I now have cousins I have met after 60yrs.
I was wondering if there is anyone on this site who have family who might remember the Cox Family.
Many Thanks.
Pat
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Baring School South Shields

Post by ralph »

I was born in Reay Street in 1944 (Robinson Street adjoined Reay Street at the top end. My family had lived there for a great many years and my mother, who was born the year before your dad, attended Baring Street School (as I did myself, Infants and Juniors). I do remember her talking of one of her female school friends whose surname was Cox, so it is very possible the girl may have been one of your family. My mother's name was Catherine Burn, changed to Pottinger on her marriage.
Quantock35
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Quantock35 »

Thank you for your reply.
There were 8 children in my Dads Family.
He had two sisters, Ada Cox born 1908 and Lily Cox born 1910.
Frederick James born 1901 didn't go in the Merchant Navy.
But the other 5 did.
It was sad Alfred Cox born 1907 died in the war 1944, and George Cox born 1914 took his own life in 1939.
My Dad moved to Southampton about 1943 where he met my Mum, and they Married in 1945.
I hope to come to South Shields again.
I have information about all th e brothers and Sisters, apart from one.
Pat.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Looking at the age of your dad's sisters. it seems unlikely that they would have been the right age. Mam's friend was named Ophelia. That doesn't mean of course that they did not know the family.

I still remember Robinson Street so very well and have fond memories of the shops and their owners. I have lived in London for about 50 years now, but my family still live only a few streets from where I was born and raised. It will always be 'home' for me.