Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

i remember these, they were between the sea and the fair, always smelt of pee
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Yes, I remember them too. People paid MONEY to have holidays in these chalets and they were fully booked during the summer holidays. When I was tiny, I used to watch in envy. I wanted to live in one!!
Sandy
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Surely it is not that long ago since they were last in use. I remember not too long ago reading an article saying the council were going to spend a lot of money bringing them up to date. Did they do that or did the demolish them? My sense of time is very poor; everything seems just like yesterday especially when given a jog like these photos, memories just fly back.
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

baldy, I really don't think they're there anymore, tho' I haven't looked behind the dunes for a while!! I think they were demolished decades ago.
Sandy
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

You are probably right and I lost inerest in what went on behind the sand dunes; years ago. :lol:
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

the chalets are still here today but double the size as two were knocked into one to make them a bit bigger a few years back
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

They featured in "This Morning" telly prog. They interviewed poor Family that was having summer holidays in them.

They were freezing it was August last year.

Very inclement weather.
I always value Pilots wit and input
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I remember a few of us coming out of the Beach club drunk one weekend in the early sixties having spent all our money and could not afford the taxi fare home, spent the night in one of those chalets and got the bus home next morning.
I t was winter time so they were not in use.

Cisco
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

Never realised they're still there. Should really have a walk along the front sometime when I'm up!!
Sandy
Keefbeer
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by Keefbeer »

My father used to take us down to look at the poor buggers huddled like refugees in their tiny little spaces. I grew up thinking that I was lucky not having to go on holiday and living like that, come to think of it that was the reason the tight wad did it!!!
Honest it was broken when I picked it up !
joestone
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Hi Di Hi campers

Post by joestone »

my mother Lizzie Stonehouse looked after the chalets every summer for years spent a lot of time on the beach when i was a kid. They were pokie and ,if I remember correctly . there was three showers for thirty chalets. still you cant have everthing ,at least cause me mother had all the keys i always had somwhere to get changed and somewhere toshelter while I ate me sausage and chips,no blowing sand to worry about
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Hi Di Hi campers

Post by jimmywizz »

hi joestone welcome to our boards