Help please - Info on Baring Street

Local History for Tyne & Wear
janice123
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Help please - Info on Baring Street

Post by janice123 »

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone on the forum may be able to assist me. I'm wanting information as to when some of the houses on Baring street were demolished (134 to be specific). I've tried looking at the current street numbers and can only assume it is now part of the fort site. My 2 times great grandfather died at 134 Baring St in 1897. The house was occupied by his sister (Rebecca Hutchinson) and her husband at the time. Any info, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

J
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Help please - Info on Baring Street

Post by ralph »

As the excavations at the Fort began in the 1870's and most of the houses in Baring Street were built at about the same time, it may be that there were never any houses built on that part of the street. I was born in near-bye Reay Street in 1944 and played in the fort area as a kid, but cannot remember any houses between the 'Caretakers' cottage and Baring Street Infant School. There were ceratainly house directly opposite the Fort in Baring Street that would have dated from the 1870's pr 1880's.. I would have thought The South Shields Library might have information on this,