Origin of the term 'Sand Dancer'

Local History for Tyne & Wear
cartref
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Origin of the term 'Sand Dancer'

Post by cartref »

I'm doing some research on the origins of the term 'Sand Dancer'. I'd be particularly interested if any folk on the forum can recall when they first heard it being used to mean someone from South Shields. Also, does anyone have any evidence of it in written texts from the 1980s or earlier? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I work at the University of Sunderland, by the way.

Oh, and another thing ... does anyone know when the Sand Dancer pub got its name?
Granty

Re: Origin of the term 'Sand Dancer'

Post by Granty »

Nobody knows for sure where it came from, but I was first called a Sanddancer in 1979 by someone from North Shields.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I used to drink in a pub in Jarrow in the very early 1970s and when the locals found out I was from Shields they started calling me Sandy :wink:
I voted leave

Sanddancer
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sanddancer »

Heard a long time ago that that the term originated from the days when the local fishermen lived on the beach in dwellings known as "Shiels" and the term "Sandancer" came from the dances that they held on the beach
Growing old is not so bad when you consider the alternative!
Westoe Wanderer
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Westoe Wanderer »

As a small child I was told by my grandmother that the term comes from the actions of people possibly in the victorian era? (bit lost with the era) dancing and drinking in the open air dance hall ontop of Marsden Rock and then dancing across the sands back to the shore in their ballgowns ect at low tide when they could get back off the rock, she could have been pulling my leg but from what I have been told by others there was a dance held up ontop of the rock in the good old days and the old iron steps up to the top could still be seen when I was a kid. Loved my old grandma so it must be true. [-o<
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

I can tell you why Wearsiders are called Mackems though.
I always value Pilots wit and input