Harper Street location

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Harper Street location

Post by hartman045 »

Can anyone point out Harper St. for me on this map? Thank you!

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Harper Street location

Post by Mr Smith »

It is not shown on that map. It was a street occupying the space just below St Stephens Churchyard.
It ran from Robertson Street to the Churchyard.

Here it is

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

That is brilliant Mr Smith. Many thanks. In the attached photo taken in the 1950s, Harper St is hidden by the church then. What is the date of the map you aare using? Mine is 1895.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I don't know the date of the map, it is one of many on the Facebook group "SOUTH SHIELDS RESEARCH THROUGH IMAGING"

Harper Street was badly damaged during the bombing raid of 1941
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Yes I know about the raids in that area. I am collecting material for my Tyneside cemeteries website and am researching various people buried in St Stephens cemetery. I have almost completed Israel Venus and am now researching Clara Taws & her family. (5 Harper St) Not a great deal of material in the local archives though, including South Shields library.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I've just been reading about the Taws family today, Mother Clare, husband John and daughter Clare killed
in the bombing, it was written by the son Bill Taws.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

Yes on 'The Peoples War' site. Tragic.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

hartman045 wrote:Yes on 'The Peoples War' site. Tragic.
Our house was bombed and flattened in Brodrick Street, fortunately we weren't in it at the time.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

I remember Broderick St it was a nice street. I moved to Roman Rd in 1954 from Cleadon where I was born.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

I wonder if Mr Smith and Hartman 045 could please oblige with any further photographs of the Lawe Top area, both at ground level and aerial for very sentimental old times sake ? I lived at 102 Greens Place, next door to the Beacon Inn, 1938 - 1959, with quite wonderful dear memories. My wife spent her early life in Dale Street, photographs of which are few and far between, especially near the Seafield Terrace end by the South Marine Park where her home was at number 44, again any kind assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you gentlemen wherever kindly possible and hopefully available.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

The only photo I know of that end of Dale Street and showing the Wolseley Pub can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Thank you Mr Smith, but unfortunately I do have this particular photograph. Where I really want to be is in the area around the car in the far background on the right side of the street .....
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

passtheball wrote:Thank you Mr Smith, but unfortunately I do have this particular photograph. Where I really want to be is in the area around the car in the far background on the right side of the street .....
I think you will be very lucky to come across a photo of such a precise location, but good luck anyway.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

hartman045 wrote:That is brilliant Mr Smith. Many thanks. In the attached photo taken in the 1950s, Harper St is hidden by the church then. What is the date of the map you aare using? Mine is 1895.

Great Photo of St Stephen's Church with the grave stones still in place. I lived in Reay Street and the top end of the churchyard had part of its wall where our street joined Henry Street, Many of my own family are buried in St Stephens' though exactly where (other than for my grandmother and a cousin of my mam who died as a baby,) is now forgotten. Any other photos of the churchyard before the gravestones were removed (when I was a lad) would be appreciated. The few gravestones that remain in the corner near the flats in Greens Place, make interesting reading
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

This a 1950s view from Mile End Road Ralph. The headstone in front of the large bush has chalked on it a 'cross' and wanted. (see inset) I have been unable to find out how the stones were chosen to remain and those to be destroyed. Was it was an arbitrary choice left up to the workmen? Or were they chosen for a particular reason?
I noted your many of your ancestors are buried here. You may be interested in my Tyneside Silent Cities web site. St. Stephens is listed. I have photographed every gravestone and researched their history and am in the process of adding them. This is the link: http://www.tynesidesilentcities.com
Would you like to add your family to it? Let me know. Even just adding there names would be a start and you can lt me know if you would like a page.
I have a few other pics of St Stephens which I will add later

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

What a brilliant photograph! It takes me back to my childhood - all the streets and houses I knew so well. As for which gravestones they kept, I would imagine that they would have asked living relatives and perhaps have published a public notice asking for others to express an interest.

Of the few that are left, some bear the names of local pilot families, and there is one particularly sad one, recording the death of David Young, who was electrocuted on the SS City of Canberra in My 1951, aged 21. Someone still occasionally places flowers by the gravestone. One wonders about the story behind that one.

Thank you also for the link, I will have a look at that.
hartman045
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by hartman045 »

I research all graves I add to my site. I am concentrating on three South Shields cemeteries at the moment. I have photographed all gravestones/memorials at the following: St Simon & St. Stephen. I have photographed 3 sections of Westoe cemetery. I am researching the story behind the gravestone of John Allen in Westoe Cemetery who was an engine driver killed in a collision in 1854. I have a few more pics taken from Mile End Rd I will post shortly.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

You are to be congratulated on your sterling research, and for making such sentimental wonderful photographs that hold such lovely memories of childhood days kindly available for those of us one time 'Lawe Toppers' and 'Skuetenders'. I look forward with much anticipation to more, many sincere thanks to you.
yvo
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by yvo »

hartman045 wrote:Can anyone point out Harper St. for me on this map? Thank you!

yes it was at the law top (top of mile end road) beside cockburn st. and robertson st.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Looking forward very much friend Hartman 045 to your further photographs of Mile End Road etc being posted, all lovely memories for me as a 'blown away' Lawe Topper, formerly of 102 Greens Place ( 50 odd years ago and next door then to 'The Beacon' ), and for all readers who have any photos please of the Lawe area in general pre the 1960's period demolitions and street clearances are very much welcomed for old times sentimental sake, please post. Many thanks wherever available and kindly possible. Such are full of interest and evoke such memories. Harper Street incidentaly was near the end of my paper round from Ringroses newsagents shop in Ocean Road, 12/6d per week, morning and evening Monday to Saturday, happy days !