1947 winter and sledging on 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank

Local History for Tyne & Wear
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

1947 winter and sledging on 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank

Post by passtheball »

I well remember sledging down River Drive bank, otherwise known to us as 'Candy' or 'Teller' bank ( I never knew why these names were used - does any reader ?). The winter of 1947 is remembered in particular, as the run down this marvellous slope attracted hundred's of local Lawe Topper kids with a great variety of sledges. These were for the most part, home made 'knock-ups', or like mine courtesy of the TDE joiners, but some were multi seater Scandanavian type really posh ones. I wonder if any photographs survived those days of what was a thrilling long ride and great fun ? Who can remember this ?
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: 1947 winter and sledging on 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank

Post by passtheball »

Still hoping that a reader may be able to please provide some clues etc as to why River Drive bank was so-called 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank, it must presumably have some kind of basis for these nicknames. I seem to recall seeing a photograph in the Shields 'Gazette' from that time when a youngster, and wonder if others have similar memories, as the attraction was huge for local children as a sledge run at that time. Once again, maybe someone, somewhere .....
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: 1947 winter and sledging on 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank

Post by ralph »

passtheball wrote:Still hoping that a reader may be able to please provide some clues etc as to why River Drive bank was so-called 'Candy' or 'Teller' Bank, it must presumably have some kind of basis for these nicknames. I seem to recall seeing a photograph in the Shields 'Gazette' from that time when a youngster, and wonder if others have similar memories, as the attraction was huge for local children as a sledge run at that time. Once again, maybe someone, somewhere .....
It was great as a 'boogie' run as well. :D I have often wondered where the name 'Candy Bank' came from.