MARSDEN COLLIERY BAND MEMORABILIA

Local History for Tyne & Wear
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

MARSDEN COLLIERY BAND MEMORABILIA

Post by passtheball »

As a very long shot, I wonder if any reader can please help me with the kind loan for copying or copies thereof etc, for non commercial research of any memorabilia of the Marsden Colliery Band ? Perhaps some one may know of a family member who was associated or someone with a brass band historical interest who may hopefully be able to assist my request ? The band was disbanded by the Marsden Colliery Miners Lodge in 1930 in controversial circumstances. It was a championship section brass band and toured the country extensively on concert engagements following its 1925 winning of the One Thousand Guineas Challenge Trophy at the annual National Brass Band Festival contest at the Crystal Palace in London. A member of the quartette of famous bands of the Harton Coal Company, with the legendary St. Hilda Colliery Band and its famous contemporary the Harton Colliery Band, and equally then prominent Boldon Colliery Band. A phenomenal record was created by the bands of South Shields in the space of a few years 1919 - 1926 when no less than seven national and world titles were won, and a great page in national brass band history was written, of which Marsden Colliery Band was very much featured. An example of famous local cultural history by colliery band musicians of Shields that should never be allowed to be forgotten......