19th Century barometer from South Shields

Local History for Tyne & Wear
metaphoric
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

19th Century barometer from South Shields

Post by metaphoric »

I'm not a South Shields resident, but I recently found a 19th century English ship's barometer, about 1840-1850 in date I think, signed with a maker's name of L. Simon, South Shields, and the title "Optician", meaning a maker of mathematical and optical instruments. Strangely, I cannot find any reference to L. Simon in any of the usual directories for this type of thing. Can anyone tell me if they know of such a maker or company operating around the mid-19th century in South Shields? These barometers were also often sold by ships' chandlerys with their own name on them, but the "Optician" title wouldn't indicate that, I don't believe. Any descendants of L. Simon out there? I'll be happy to send pictures in exchange for information.

Many thanks.
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Ward's Directory for 1859 has an L.Simon, Optician, trading at 10 Market Place South Shields.

Jerry
metaphoric
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

South Shields barometer maker

Post by metaphoric »

Many thanks. Are the Ward's directories on line somewhere in searchable format? I've found the index to trade directories on the GENUKI site, but they are mostly not searchable there.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

At a later date (1895) a T Alexander bootmaker was at 10 Market Place. So L Simons had either passed on, closed down or moved.
metaphoric
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Barometer maker info

Post by metaphoric »

Thanks, Baldy. Have one on me.
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

South Shields Barometer

Post by Jerry »

I've not really tried to locate Wards Trade Directories online. The trails seem to peter out at the central library in major urban centres. I know the Newcastle upon Tyne local studies department has these and other directories. You could ask them for onward directions and if there is online access:

[email protected]

( ) 0191 277 4116

They are usually courteous and helpful.

Good luck

Jerry
baldy.smith

directories

Post by baldy.smith »

Here is an good site for directories which you can search for free.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd ... cation.asp

Lewis Simon, optician is listed in a 1850 directory at 10 Market Place
the address was obviously shared as I have found other people with the same address in 1850. They were probably on diferent floors
metaphoric
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

South Shields barometer

Post by metaphoric »

Baldy, you're wonderful. Thanks. I owe you.