I always value Pilots wit and input
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Crown Temperance Hotel

Post by Mr Smith »

Is this the photo you refer to?

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Curious where the Crown Temperance Hotel actually was situated, can you please identify the street if known, just for interest ? The snooker club in Union Alley had a Temperance type premises next to it, not sure exactly what though, I recall this from a photograph postwar, it was just before the back entrance to the Odeon Cinema, any information please ? Interesting subject.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

There was a Temperance Hotel in the Market Place, corner of Thrift Street but it was destroyed in 1941 during
a bombing raid. There was also one in Union Alley, but it's not the one shown in the photo.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

I will have a careful look at Thrift Street corner with the Market Place photographs, the Crown Temperance Hotel may have been there. It will be listed under this name in a local trades directory, there is a collection of these in the Central Library local studies section, I'll have a look tomorrow when down town and find out.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I've looked in Kelly's Directory for 1914 and it's not listed in there.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

It may well be that it opened at a later date, and was not in 1914 a hotel or it was known by another name .....
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

The Crown Temperance Hotel is listed in a South Shields local trades directory in 1926 at 2, Market Place, gaps in the annual collection in the library local history studies archive could mean that the Hotel existed earlier, further investigation would be necessary to confirm this possibility. The final mention of the hotel in the collection available to the library is dated 1940, the following year the market was heavily bombed and the hotel may have been then destroyed as a result. Hope this info helps research.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I've been looking at a couple of photos of 2 Market Place and the building bears no resemblance to the one in the photo.
No 2 was just to the left of Barbours which was at number 5 Market place.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Info as posted is by courtesy of the library staff as per my request, and is quoted verbatim, any error is theirs .... Maybe it's a case therefore that I should personally check what I was told by reference to the trades directory that was consulted by the library and then refer also to an O.S. map of the period for confirmation.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Further info first hand personally from the library yesterday as follows. The numbering of the Market properties commenced from Church Way with no. 1 and ended with no. 37 on the corner of Chapter Row, the offices of the South Shields and Sunderland Water Co. A photograph located on South Tyneside Images, ref STH0000530 taken in a North Easterly perspective shows a roof advert board building named 'Temperance Hotel' fronting the Market Place located on a left corner with Thrift Street, dated 1905, but this is considered in error and thought to be c1920. Also there is no mention in 1905 in the directories of this business. That said all other previous details have been checked and the details given for the no. 2 property in the Ward's Local Trades Directory for 1926 are correct as printed, also the 1940 directory ditto.The 1940 Directory gives a D. Dutton resident at no. 2, and in 1926 a J A Gray at the same address. Crofton's is listed as being 1, King Street. Confusion here then is apparent with the aforementioned no. 2 Market Place property, but certainly the photograph mentioned confirms that a 'Temperance Hotel' was indeed located pre 1941 on Thrift Street cornet with the Market Place. O.S. maps of the period have also been checked and confirm these findings. I hope this satisfies our original enquiry, and I am pleased to assist the research. Maybe there is more to be found, in what is an interesting subject ......
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

That confirms what I have found. There is no listing for a Crown Hotel in Kelly's 1914 directory either.
Useful information passtheball, I wish I was closer to Shields so that I could do research in the library.
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

there is a picture of a Temperance Hotel in South Shields just been posted on facebook under "South Shields in Old Photos"
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

captain beefheart wrote:there is a picture of a Temperance Hotel in South Shields just been posted on facebook under "South Shields in Old Photos"
There's also two in SOUTH SHIELDS RESEARCH THROUGH IMAGING, one in the Market Place and one at Laygate corner.
Neither are of the one in the photo above.
Tim Gray
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Tim Gray »

Hi!
Trawling thru the web looking for ways of discovering some of my grandparents' history and came across your site - and the discussion on South Shields' Temperance Hotels!

J A Gray may well be my dad's father (James Arthur Gray, wife was Ellen - Nellie- Gray) as my dad always said that his parents ran two (?) Temperance Hotels in South Shields. 1921 census has him in Shields but the address is Chapter Way, South Shields. Grandparents and parents have all died, no family records of such ownership/management, so can no longer check - census, though, has him down as a ship riveter - so interested to finalise that piece of history with other info if possible!

Thanks
Tim Gray