WILSON STREET PHOTOGRAPHS

Local History for Tyne & Wear
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

WILSON STREET PHOTOGRAPHS

Post by passtheball »

Any kind assistance of readers with photographs of Wilson Street at High Shields for family history research and nostalgic reminiscences is much requested and for which I would be indebted. My cousin the late George Rogers lived at No. 6 with his sister and mother. At the head of the street was the premises of Coun. George Rossiter, who had a wood/joinery business, and with Arab boarding houses, a butchers shop and a general dealers at the other end, any details of all would be also much appreciated. I remember well John Stamps paper shop on Cuthbert Street, and the sweet shop opposite, the name (?) of which eludes me, which was next door to the mosque, and the Pavilion cinema, of which also any photographs too are please requested. All that is now left of the area is the Lord Clyde public house. Also to be much requested if please available are photographs of the houses that were next to the St. Hilda Colliery chimney, with any details please, these stood on Station Road opposite to what is now B & Q. I recall that the ground floor of these was actually underground, and wonder if these were originally built for colliery employees ? An area formerly of great interest and fascination and one I used to visit with my mother in the late 1940's and 1950's, many happy memories remain of which it is much hoped that photographs that are requested have survived and could be made available for 'old times sake'. Many sincere thanks in lasting appreciation wherever possible.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: WILSON STREET PHOTOGRAPHS

Post by Delilahcat »

George Rossiter was a relative of mine and was a cabinet maker by trade following in the footsteps of our grandfather George William Rossiter. I don't know if you are on Facebook but there is a group called South Shields in Old photos which has many of the pictures you are interested in. There is also a DVD of old Laygate with photos by Bill Clavery which is obtainable through the library.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: WILSON STREET PHOTOGRAPHS

Post by passtheball »

Thanks for your reply Delilahcat, I know of both you mention, have viewed all the first and have a copy of the second, and was at the Central Library presentation, what I seek are not included in these unfortunately.