South Shields Merchant Seamen losses WWII

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

South Shields Merchant Seamen losses WWII

Post by Cairngormer7374 »

Just out of curiosity, on the anniversary of the loss of a family member, I was wondering if anyone else here in South Shields lost anyone in the sinking of the Canadian merchantman SS Taber Park which went down steaming from the Tyne to London on 13th March 1945.

I presume that the ship crewed up at the pool in Shields prior to the voyage and had more Shields folk aboard than the following person.

SS Taber Park either hit a german mine off Lowestoft or was sunk torpedo by a German submarine.

My Mum was named after her Aunt Mary (Ogle) and this lad, then aged 18 years old, Walter Junner Crammon was the second son of one Mary Ogle & William (Bill) Crammon of Windmill Hill (Near the Dolly Peel pub). So I'm presuming this lady was the Aunt in question.

They had already lost their oother son at age 21, Alex, when the Auxilliary Aircraft Carrier HMS Avenger was torpedoed with catastrophic loss of life in the Atlantic earlier in the war.

I assume that this ended that line of the family tree as I can find no more information other than Walter being commemorated on a memorial at Tower Hill London..a bit far away to put some flowers on. :roll: :oops: I couldn't even find a picture of the ship from its Owners site.

Any information gratefully received.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: South Shields Merchant Seamen losses WWII

Post by Delilahcat »

It is worth contacting Janis Blower who writes for the Gazette. I asked for information about a WW1 ship( and possibly a picture) that my uncle had been on which was sunk in 1918. She was unable to help but one of her readers came up with the good and a picture.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I voted leave

shipper69
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by shipper69 »

hello cairngormer7374...just to put the record straight for you WALTER JUNNER CRAMMON was my late uncle lost at sea during WW11 1945.You have all details correct accept for his parents (my grandparents) who were John (Known as jack) and Christina Crammon both of S.Shields.His older brother Alex was in the Royal Navy and was also lost at sea during WW11.his younger sister Christina who is still living is my mother.
Mreffold
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mreffold »

Hi
My grandfather j j Parsons was Captain of the Taber Park and one of the survivors.
I have the letter sent to him by Stone & Rolfe in which other crew members are mentioned.