St. Hilda's School

Local History for Tyne & Wear
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

St. Hilda's School

Post by passtheball »

Another hard ask - any photograph/s of the St. Hilda's School of Waterloo Vale have not it seems survived, and despite numerous enquiries and searches none have been found to date, can any reader please help ? My late cousin George Rogers of Wilson Street was a pupil just after the war, and I recall him mentioning the Head Teacher a Mr Sidebottom, and a friend of mine in Brigham's Club, Harry Lincoln also attended.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: St. Hilda's School

Post by Mr Smith »

Do you mean the British Union School in Waterloo Vale or St Hilda's School?

I have a couple of the British Union School.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

The St. Hilda's School I understand was the only school actually on the Waterloo Vale site, I thought that the British Union School was on Garden Lane, but maybe I am wrong, whatever is the case it is the former that a photograph/s are so hard to find. One thing though my friend that you may be able to enlighten me about ....I well recall Scout Gang Show rehearsals 1950 being in a large building at the far west end of Waterloo Vale, with two or three floors, that contained a large hall, and up against the wall of Station Bank. Have you any idea what this building could have been please ?
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

yes, the British Union School was just inside the Coal yard entrance. I'll see what I can come up with,
St Hilda's School was on the corner of Oyston Street.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

The building up against station bank was I believe a former bond warehouse, many floors and lots
of floor space.. I used to go to a boys gym club there called "The Hindley Club" about 1950/52.
passtheball
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by passtheball »

Cheers for that info, next trick a photo hopefully .....
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

There is a class photo available from 1957.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

passtheball wrote:The St. Hilda's School I understand was the only school actually on the Waterloo Vale site, I thought that the British Union School was on Garden Lane, but maybe I am wrong, whatever is the case it is the former that a photograph/s are so hard to find. One thing though my friend that you may be able to enlighten me about ....I well recall Scout Gang Show rehearsals 1950 being in a large building at the far west end of Waterloo Vale, with two or three floors, that contained a large hall, and up against the wall of Station Bank. Have you any idea what this building could have been please ?
Used to go to the cubs in Waterloo Vale in the mid 50s,this was in a large building on the same side as the gas works and opposite a pub. Can remember a school in Coronation Street on the site of the car park between the old garage and store.