South Shields folk working in the yards Narrow escapes.

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Cairngormer7374 »

Though I'd be a good idea to share this story now as it might clear up what happened for many of my fellow townsfolk; and those from Jarrow and Hebburn who heard it happen....and also to the families who's dinners where probably ruined... :oops: :roll:

The IRA attack on HMS Cardiff...Just to clarify what happened: 1978: Swan Hunter - Hawthorn Leslies Shipyard.

It was the end of a long hard hot summers day when the call arrived saying there was an electrical problem in one of the Assembly Sheds. On arrival we found a huge 11,000 volt 3 phase transformer with one of its main cables dangling in mid air, copper core exposed to the world. Worse still, a huge 5/8th" thick metal bulkhead stood less than one foot away. I turned to my journeyman and said I'd run up to the switchboard room and isolate it, knowing exactly where to find the key and which system to isolate... At some 300 yards away, it was a sprint, but would mean it would be safe to work on within about 4 minutes. My journeyman also weighed up the situation and stunned me saying he was going to put on a pair of discarded welding gloves, place two pieces of scrap 3 x 2 wood across the tattered cable remains, and pull the live tail from its socket.

:idea: "Not with me here your not" said I, "You'll touch earth on that plating".

As he donned said gloves I walked away, hurriedly picking myself through the scattering of hull parts on the shed floor, to reach the white demarcation lines which began the broad walkway through the shed, determined to isolate the job. It meant a sprint of about 70 yards,, negotiate a left turn at speed and then sprint up the shed for another 140yds, before swinging right, exiting the shed and on toward the switchboard room beyond; but I could run like the wind and soon be there...I drew a huge breath and launched into my first few strides... just as a percussion wave from the deafening explosion hit me from behind; throwing me a full 20 yards across the walkway to bounce and roll on the concrete floor; finally coming to rest on my back amongst more hull sections.

Daft as it may sound, but my initial thought was not "are my legs and arms still attached" but instead was "This concretes nice and cool on my back". I could see the shed roof high above me. I tried to rise.... No response. I tried again, noting a cool feeling on my feet, and several areas of intense pain. Still no response...

Strangely, everything was in slow motion as I now lay there looking beyond two feet, clad only in sweaty white socks, toward a sheet of metal sparks, some 250 ft high in the air. It seemed I'd been blown clean out of my shoes.

I watched amazed as these hot metal globules cascaded back down to earth, dancing on the assembly shed floor on arrival. To my disbelief, as this fascinating display reached ground level, a figure appeared. First the head, then shoulders, and finally full form. He was alive !... Unbelievable ! There was no sign of the 8ft high bulkhead anywhere?.... A sudden thought occurred... I was still alive as well !

I lay there transfixed as he slowly turned his head from one side to another, arms aloft, but bent at the elbows, blowing firstly on the left glove, now in flames, and then on his right glove, also in flames.. To think he could simply blow out the flames! :lol: It was like something from a Laurel & Hardy movie... I dissolved into hysterical laughter as shock kicked in.

The rests a bit of a blur, but I remember the yards old air raid Siren sounding an emergency response. (Unfortunately, a once familiar sound on the river). I briefly remember being lifted into the yards white ambulance; and then being on a stretcher in the ambulance room being administering tranquillisers to stop my hysterics. My fingers, wrists, knee and elbows were bandaged.

:shock: After some time, I started to regain control as the medication hit and began to breath normally, albeit whilst still desperately suppressing giggling fits as I recalled the scene of the gloves in flame... whereupon, I was confronted by said journeyman !... who jumped down from the treatment table opposite, hands swathed with white bandages, his face a lovely red scorched colour and farcically covered in anti-burns cream.

"*Don't tell anyone what happened", he began...I dissolved back into fits of hysterical laughter....I was still laughing uncontrollably when I woke next morning at home..

:?: *Don't tell anyone?....... Half the yard had been assembled at the gates for 4.30pm knocking off time and came running thinking the IRA had blown up HMS Cardiff (D108), the Type 42, batch (I) destroyer we were outfitting.

Indeed, the North East Electricity Board, (NEEB), had rang up enquiring whether we had just switched on two massive dock pumps at Hebburn yard without warning them, as half of Hebburn and indeed Jarrow, had now had a power outage as an unexpected surge tripped the National Grid; leaving them desperately calling on another power station to be brought on line to cope with the expected demand. ....I could have died laughing

Unfortunately just one of MANY narrow escapes from death and seeing fellow workers maimed and killed during my time there. Told in memory of you all.
Last edited by Cairngormer7374 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: South Shields folk working in the yards Narrow escapes.

Post by Delilahcat »

Good story. My husband was a shipwright and worked at most of the Yards. Had a whole host of stories. The lad who claimed to be a pacifist and demanded to be excused working on a warship. The lad who had the top of his head sliced off 'like a boiled egg' when the corrugated metal shed roof hit him. The horrible conditions...sitting in a 'bait cabin' when a rat popped up from between the floorboards and whipped a sandwich out of his hand. The nicknames...him and his mate Alan Dawson were 'Doom and Gloom.'
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Delilahcat wrote:Good story. My husband was a shipwright and worked at most of the Yards. Had a whole host of stories. The lad who claimed to be a pacifist and demanded to be excused working on a warship. The lad who had the top of his head sliced off 'like a boiled egg' when the corrugated metal shed roof hit him. The horrible conditions...sitting in a 'bait cabin' when a rat popped up from between the floorboards and whipped a sandwich out of his hand. The nicknames...him and his mate Alan Dawson were 'Doom and Gloom.'
Could you imagine if old Alex, and Alan Ahmed (or whatever it was originally) were still actively working today.
They'd be on the dole, they'd have been replaced by cheap Polish labour, brought in by Tony Blair, and his Labour mates.

Old Alex will be cursing you from the beyond Deliah.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

Delilahcat wrote:Good story. My husband was a shipwright and worked at most of the Yards. Had a whole host of stories. The lad who claimed to be a pacifist and demanded to be excused working on a warship. The lad who had the top of his head sliced off 'like a boiled egg' when the corrugated metal shed roof hit him. The horrible conditions...sitting in a 'bait cabin' when a rat popped up from between the floorboards and whipped a sandwich out of his hand. The nicknames...him and his mate Alan Dawson were 'Doom and Gloom.'
Yes Delilah, there's a plethera of stories out there which should be recorded for posterity to show how atrocious the conditions were, and the fortitude of those who worked on in dangerous (to say the least) conditions. Witnessed many deaths close at hand, and even more serious injuries, but only try to remember the humourous bits which kept you going, otherwise you'd be depressed. In the end though? all for nought, as the industry, skilled men, and indeed the whole region was sold down the river by successive governments. All I can add is, anyone who worked there, well done, and thank yourself lucky if you came away alive or uninjured.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

I served my time 1972-1976 at Leslies bad accident I attended was involving jelly tot the welders gaffer one of the apprentices had fallen off the staging as he went backwards he grabbed jelly tot both fell between the longys he was off a hell of a long time.
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

martymont wrote:I served my time 1972-1976 at Leslies bad accident I attended was involving jelly tot the welders gaffer one of the apprentices had fallen off the staging as he went backwards he grabbed jelly tot both fell between the longys he was off a hell of a long time.
I remember that day ! It was on the ROBKAP being built on the slipway right of number 518 crane, the most upriver berth being used at that time, and it was one hell of a fall. Not sure if that was the Robkap which was being built fully for our yard or one of the half sections built for assembly eleswhere...How on earth they both survived was a miracle. Straight from staging just off the main deck down to ships bottom missing every frame on the ship bottom. Totally open to view from around the yard as well as the main hull sections weren't in place yet... :shock: ^" deep frames could have killed them instantly and not much space between either...There was the famous incident of the two welders being carried off the ship in the river next to it around that time as well....Where we all suprisingly got the day off after they saw two leather clad Roman soldiers walk out of the river side bulkhead below them, cross below them, and then exit the land side bulkhead as they drank a cuppa before starting...Taken off by stretcher as babbling wrecks, apparently they cleared the yard solely due to bringing in the priest/vicar fo St Andrews, up the road to bless the hold I heard....Were you there during the Glasgow disaster across the river as we worked on HMS Cardiff in Hawthorns? There was also the case of the Russian Captain lost in the river apparently by suicide [-X at the time....and a lad fell under the crane wheels at 518 track alongside that incident and lost a leg, God Bless him.... :(
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Remember my husband talking about those incidents. One of his workmates fell off the staging into the dock bottom and was badly hurt. The story going round was he felt a bad turn coming on and threw himself off the staging as you got more sick pay for industrial injuries. Just an example of the grim humour. It makes me sick when so called working people go on about how the yards closed because the men were idle skivers. The yards were death traps and the cause of ill health for many workers. They used to play 'snowballs' with asbestos and were refused protective gear when the dangers were well known. Any improvements had to be fought for tooth and nail
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:Remember my husband talking about those incidents. One of his workmates fell off the staging into the dock bottom and was badly hurt. The story going round was he felt a bad turn coming on and threw himself off the staging as you got more sick pay for industrial injuries. Just an example of the grim humour. It makes me sick when so called working people go on about how the yards closed because the men were idle skivers. The yards were death traps and the cause of ill health for many workers. They used to play 'snowballs' with asbestos and were refused protective gear when the dangers were well known. Any improvements had to be fought for tooth and nail
Obviously the selective memory loss is occurring again.I defy any ex yard workers to deny that workers went over the wall on night shift,and to deny that demarcation never took place. I remember a good friend of mine who was employed as an electrician in fitting out one of the last liners built on the Tyne. He told me he was fitting wall lights in the cabins, a job he could have done on his own from start to finish, but due to demarcation some one had to measure and mark where the light went,someone else had to drill holes another person then had to bolt lamp to wall after he and his labourer had wired light up.5 men to do a job that one man could have done. I worked in the pits and they were a lot more dangerous than the yards and no one skived, you never got many old miners living beyond 65 because of damaged lungs from breathing coal dust.FOR 51 weeks of the year it was a common occurrence to cough up coal dust,it was only in the back end of your fortnights holiday that your lungs were clear for 2 to 3 days before you went back to work. I loved following my father into working underground,but as other ex miners agree Thatcher did us a favour in closing the pits, most pits were making a profit when Thatcher and Heseltine closed them in their vindictive ways. They did not have to close the yards, the workers did it by themselves by refusing to pull their fingers out and let the yards make a profit.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

And straight out of the traps comes Pete always ready to put the boot into the working man/ woman and repeat tall tales he has been told. I am sure there were people who skived as there are in every walk of life but to suggest they caused the demise of the British shipbuilding industry is ludicrous. Try looking at the owners pre nationalisation who sucked money out of the yards and did not modernise. People worked in conditions that would have been familiar to their grandads.
Lets not get into a competition about which workers had the worst conditions....that's what the bosses love. Set worker against worker. I could repeat tales of how people envied miners their 'high wages' and talked of the regular Mondays they had off after a weekend on the booze but they are as true of every miner as your tales.
You don't have a very good past record on things people have told you...remember the Councillor who missed his bus :D My grandma would say 'Pete you are like the pan shop (pawn shop) you take anything in.'
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Cairngomer 7374 was there after it happened the management decided to put managers and office staff on a marine fire fighting course at South Shields, me being a first aider at the time and others said we should do it as we where on the ship anyway and the gear was alongside, we became the first to do it. Ps did you work on the Gandara seemed to be on the stocks years.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:And straight out of the traps comes Pete always ready to put the boot into the working man/ woman and repeat tall tales he has been told. I am sure there were people who skived as there are in every walk of life but to suggest they caused the demise of the British shipbuilding industry is ludicrous. Try looking at the owners pre nationalisation who sucked money out of the yards and did not modernise. People worked in conditions that would have been familiar to their grandads.
Lets not get into a competition about which workers had the worst conditions....that's what the bosses love. Set worker against worker. I could repeat tales of how people envied miners their 'high wages' and talked of the regular Mondays they had off after a weekend on the booze but they are as true of every miner as your tales.
You don't have a very good past record on things people have told you...remember the Councillor who missed his bus :D My grandma would say 'Pete you are like the pan shop (pawn shop) you take anything in.'
What years did you work in the yards? I repeat what ex yard worker is willing to deny what I said took place.As for miners not working on Mondays,nearly every worker was called in
to the managers office at one time or another and asked why he only worked four days,do not know why he bothered as every one told him the same answer "they only worked four shifts as they could not manage on three"
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Jarrow Pete wrote:
Delilahcat wrote:'
What years did you work in the yards?
Same ones as you Pete :D Trouble with you is that it is all or nothing...everyone is lazy everyone's a skiver. Life isn't like that. I know about the yards because my husband spent his working life there and I lived in a community where most men worked there. However unlike you I can separate fact from fiction which is why I did not join the BNP and give my money to keep the glorious leader Nick Griffin in the lap of luxury. :D
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Post removed due to abusive remarks
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Delilahcat wrote:
Jarrow Pete wrote:
Delilahcat wrote:'
What years did you work in the yards?
Same ones as you Pete :D Trouble with you is that it is all or nothing...everyone is lazy everyone's a skiver. Life isn't like that. I know about the yards because my husband spent his working life there and I lived in a community where most men worked there. However unlike you I can separate fact from fiction which is why I did not join the BNP and give my money to keep the glorious leader Nick Griffin in the lap of luxury. :D
As usual you go off at a tangent when you cannot give an honest answer to a post.I notice no ex yard workers are rushing forward to deny that the working practises that I described did not take place. I worked in several yards on the Tyne working mainly on the "Rover" class of ships, once I was called to the Neptune yard to overhaul the fuelling meters on one of the "Rover" ships.I was working away when a friend of mine Joe Fisher a fitter approached me and asked what I was doing, after I told him he asked if he could help me as he was bored stupid with having nothing to do. He explained that four of them were working on the rudder and prop shaft,but they could not get the cherry picker till Friday as the painters were using it, this was on a Tuesday and he then shocked me by saying "what a stupid state of affairs you would think they would send us home (with pay) until Friday. No business in the World could carry on with working practises like that, I agree that bad management did not help the situation, but the workers did them selves no favours for not suggesting alternative methods of work that could have kept the yard profitable. As many yards closed under a Labour goverment as did under a Tory goverment by allowing British ship repair/building work to accept cheaper quotes from foreign yards.
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Having worked in the shipyards from my apprenticeship i will try to take some heat out of the argument, yes there was demarcation, as it was the case in every industry, it was seen as a way of protecting jobs for different unions, bosses were dealing with very large unions at the time and it was just the way things were done. Pete if you were at the Neptune yard then you would have had to have a union card so you i assume you knew all about demarcation and why it existed. Also the rover boats were built at the Hawthorn Leslie yard in Hebburn, not sure why they would be in the Neptune but it is possible they were there.
The shipyards went to the wall because they could no compete with overseas build cost as they were still geared around making one off designs, the last 2 were the Pickersgill yard and Doxfords yard on the Wear because they belated modernised and tried to get into standardisation and assembly line production techniques, albeit t late o save the industry. The Tyne yards didn't stand a chance of competing as they were basically working the same way as they did before the war.
Some people went over the wall, skived and did some daft things, tell me a large organisation that doesn't have a small percentage of daft ones, the majority were hard working folks. The safety regime was appalling but it was the same in every industry as people did not understand the risks as they do know we have the Health and Safety regulations to thank for saving many lives in all heavy construction type industries.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

captain beefheart wrote:Having worked in the shipyards from my apprenticeship i will try to take some heat out of the argument, yes there was demarcation, as it was the case in every industry, it was seen as a way of protecting jobs for different unions, bosses were dealing with very large unions at the time and it was just the way things were done. Pete if you were at the Neptune yard then you would have had to have a union card so you i assume you knew all about demarcation and why it existed. Also the rover boats were built at the Hawthorn Leslie yard in Hebburn, not sure why they would be in the Neptune but it is possible they were there.
The shipyards went to the wall because they could no compete with overseas build cost as they were still geared around making one off designs, the last 2 were the Pickersgill yard and Doxfords yard on the Wear because they belated modernised and tried to get into standardisation and assembly line production techniques, albeit t late o save the industry. The Tyne yards didn't stand a chance of competing as they were basically working the same way as they did before the war.
Some people went over the wall, skived and did some daft things, tell me a large organisation that doesn't have a small percentage of daft ones, the majority were hard working folks. The safety regime was appalling but it was the same in every industry as people did not understand the risks as they do know we have the Health and Safety regulations to thank for saving many lives in all heavy construction type industries.
The ships at the various yards I worked on were in for servicing, I was not employed by the yards, as it happens I was a Union member (AEU) from 18 years old until I started my own business in 2000.For 43 years I worked at different locations over the UK and Europe as a service engineer and never saw demarcation like it was in the British shipyards,that was the reason why British yards could not compete with overseas ones on costs.Every time I went on a ship in a British yard you would see little groups of 2 or 3 people with only one of them working,what industry could operate at a profit with overheads like that.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

Cairngomer tell us about I was one of the first aiders on sight and went with the apprentice to the hospital, also spent time in the ambulance room, Mary was the nurse in charge and Sid was the other ambulance attendant ps only trradesman working when yards were on strike ambulance room you see.
Cairngormer7374
Big Gob
Big Gob

Hi all, Honestly, you go off for a camera up yer a*** and return to all hell let loose. Roll on cancer... :D Let me try to calm the waters on what was hoped to be a simple light humoured post which would generate some historical interest for future generations into our once proud declining British Industries...

Firstly, there seems to be some sort of desparaging comment bandying about on here, Can you not all discuss things in an open, conjecturing manner, with respect for each other without resulting to desparaging comment. It does come over as children in a playground. We all have grievances and axes to grind, (I more than most, believe me), but come on everyone...Its :oops:

Secondly, Pete seems to have a skewed view of the British worker. I won't deny that there were workers in the yard who simply turned up and "signed the visitors book"...I know of one man who been sacked for "jumping the wall" for going for a pint on nightshift as a journeyman..He returned to the yard shortly afterwards and was given a Supervisors role...Astounding! - Makes me angry for one, especially in hind sight at his manner of working without regard for safety of his men. But I know of Miners who were known to be repeatedly off work on the sick, They'd say, if a stone fell at the colliery it'll be a certainty he'll say it hit him and he'd claim compensation...There are good and bad in all industries, don't fall into the trap of lumping everyone into the same cliche...

As for the comments on demarcation. Yes, there were demarcation lines which used to cause immense frustration.

In the example you've cited, I think there's a bit of liberty being taken.

In my time in the yards from 74 - 88 - ( and yes to one poster; my first ship was Gandara ! :?: If you were at the launch, I was the kid who ran with the furthest of the four keys to launch her, from the stern; arriving before the other three runners - :arrow: You run fast when there's a chance of a ship landing on yer head and turning you into nothing more than a streak of blood on the stocks I can tell yer !- But thats another story)- ....there would be a marker off, marking all bulkheads, etc, from plans to ensure everything went on without any fouling between other departments structures, this was even more strict when Royal Navy protocols had to be observed.

Waiting around for a welder, burner or driller was always a frustration, and led to hold ups...but if organised with some skill, this wouldn't be a problem.

There would possibly be Chargehands or similar around making sure the job was completed and the tradesmen then directed to another part of the ship and another job, the example you uphold as true seems farfetched, but on closer inspection could well show why there where many workers on the scene....Eg: Say the Sparkie was about to cite some electrical equipment with penetrations needed in bulkheads?...The Driller, having brought his drill and equipment to the scene of the job works with Pneumatic power lines. So he has to negotiate through a complex ship structure his air pipes etc to the scene and drill the hole. A welder might well be needed as well, in order to 'weld on' electrical equipment attachment brackets or weld in the cable tubes or glands through the bulkhead or deck/deckhead).- For ship integrity this is a skilled job, which must uphold BS standards, pointless leaving a job with a minute hole in the bulkhead and water squirting in is it?... and all the welding cabling and equipment must be brought to site....A burner may be needed to burn out a none round hole or larger hole for a gland, dependant on how many cables where ariving at said job, this would entail needing oxy -acetylene supplies on the job, - and they need removed to prevent a disaster such as occured on HMS Glasgow (RIP lads); A firemen would most likely be on site to prevent loss of life. The spark might need a second colleague to be on the other side of a bulkhead to recieve glands penetrating through before welding or tightening in place -hard to do by one self but sometimes manag,able...They scene is set showing that one man couldn't accomplish this himself..He'd spend all day getting the job set up and then making everything safe again before moving onto a second job...The Chargehand would most likely be present as his only chance of getting this welder, burner or driller, due to shortages as more and more workers were trimmed off the wage bill, and that entails taking said Black tradesman around a series of jobs in different locations...So in hindsight, to the uninitiated, one can see that it might be groups of people standing around at what appeared to be a simple job and something which could be completed in a jiffy by one or two men. Rarely the case.

You must remember also, that the Black Trades, (GMBU? Boilermakers Union used to hold sway in protecting jobs for their men, and it did stifle efficiency at times, it certainly stifled the electrical departments bonus scheme, which had to merge with the Black trades scheme and was never paid out again while i was there..despite a certain carrier coming out a year ahead of schedule to to a National emergency, and huge advances in efficiency - HMS Coventry came in at under budget for cable reeving for the first time in Swan's history): By the time I left due to works accident, (not my doing); things had certainly turned and efficiency was parmount, but we were working on skeleton staff, as hard as we could, because we couldn't afford any shirkers..Don't work efficiently and you were out was the maxim in the electrical department by mid 80's... [-X And this was a recipe for injuring men. :x

Peter, Please don't succumb to present government indoctrination by tarring everyone as skivers, #-o I mean to say, I'm now disabled -so I've obviously never worked in my life and am definately the scurge of Britain....Otherwise, perhaps you should run for Government in the Conservative party? :lol:

To set the record straight. When injured I had been working around 96 hrs per week, (yes 96!), grabbing a swig of tea and a sarnie on the move, no dinner break; as I organised installation of electrical systems.. 7 days a week for 10 months without a day off, 7.30 in the morning start time, with queues of men awaiting information before start, finishing around 10.30pm at night after giving jobs to nightshift which I'd organised on route throughout the day -all in dangerous conditions and coping with an ever-changing dymanic installation programme with safety paramount for my lads...arriving home after 12 many times and then back first thing...and that was a regular occurance with the way contracts arrived in the yard.

Rarely from an apprenticeship at 18years old, did I work less that 56 hrs per week, on some contracts, like many Sparks, spending hours upon hours pulling cables of all sizes through ships routes - imagine a tug of war team with little time to rest, take on water and working in sweltering conditions or freezing condition - go for a pee and they're one man down and everything grinds to a halt? -soon builds yer muscles up, but in the end leads to injuries...Britain as a whole seems to lend itself to finding fault in peoples work rate or skills.

Swan Hunters demise could be seen, not as a consequence of not changing work patterns or methods, ie; introducing modular building techniques, which were making substancial in roads on my many of the contracts I was involved in; but more on the intransegance of successive governments in not having a long term strategy of keeping skilled shipbuilders in constant employment against a back drop of cheap foriegn producers. Specialist one off designs were our forte at Swan Hunter.

The fact is, that someone such as myself, spending 4 years learning an apprenticeship in multiple disciplines of electrical work, from Power supply, gas and explosion proof installation, conduit, steelwork, safe working practice, wiring of cabinets, testing and commissioning from 6v up to 11,000 volts, DC AC, electronics, and a plethera of other things specialities ( which quite frankly are not covered by most sparks nowadays); then about another 6 years perfecting each discipline to a high standard, then finds himself umemployed as the yard has no orders, thence moves on to more regular work, (generally with better pay and conditions0, and does not return.

That is the scandal which needed addressing (Apart from BAe's hold on MOD and government which allows them to waste money hand over fist with impunity, knowing that they will not be the one's going to the wall).

I could cry for the demise of the yards and the financial implications it has had on this region...But what do I know, I'm just a thick shipyard worker. Giz a Hamma and am happy...What a waste of skilled men. I'm a bit tired now, I'll look in again when well enough. Stay safe all. PS remeber "Derek" being an attendant/first aide...
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

First off apologies to Cairngormer for distracting from his enjoyable stories of the Yards. I still maintain that the ship yard workers did not do themselves justice by allowing successive goverments to close them down.
I served a 5 year apprenticeship down the pits, before leaving in 1969 and getting a job as a service engineer covering the UK and Europe for the liquid measurement side of Avery scales. They were not good payers,in fact the wages were that low and having 3 children the wife got an extra allowance to top her money up,also to help make ends meet I worked every weekend as a taxi driver and for two of my three weeks annual holidays I worked 16 twelve hour shifts on factory shutdown work.From leaving school until I negotiated my own early retirement package in 2000, I was a trade union member, I also have never voted Conservative in my life. I stopped voting Labour in Council elections in the 70s when I saw how corrupt the Labour party was in South Tyneside,the last time I voted Labour in a Parliamentary election was when Blair was first elected.
What really annoys me is how the British workers in the ship yards and other industry in the North East stood back and let successive goverments close them down and put them on the doal without doing anything about it. The miners tried to take the goverment on with their year long strike,but they were let down by the majority of trade unionists,mainly in the transport industry. When I think back to the closing of yards, I think back to the scenes we have all seen of the holocaust when the Jewish were murdered by the Nazis. They patiently stood in line next to a lime filled pit,stepping forward one at a time to be murdered with a shot in the back of the head, the yard workers and the trade union movement did literally the same thing by doing nothing.
Like you I am now in ill health,am virtually housebound with a terminal illness that will eventually kill me, while I can I still manage my own company doing all the paperwork while my son and apprentice do all the work that I used to do.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

This is why the fat cats laugh and win hands down they don't turn on their own as quickly as the working man, the writer is always the hardest working man going while all his workmates were skivers and over paid to do nothing.
I voted leave