St George Road 1930's

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Swinman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

St George Road 1930's

Post by Swinman »

Hi,
I am looking for pictures and/or information about the St George Road area in South Shields. My mother was born in South Shields in 1925 and I think lived there until the mid to late 30's. I have a school photo taken with her classmates on a postcard, with her name one side and the address 177 St George Road, Cleandon Estate, South Shields on the other.
She looks about 10 years old and her class mates in the photo are all girls, so maybe an all girls school ?. Is her her old house likely to still exist today ? Which schools were in that area at the time. The family name was Brown and her father was a shoemaker/repairer.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Alan
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: St George Road 1930's

Post by Mr Smith »

Never heard of a St George Road. We have a King George Road, Cleadon.
You'll find a couple of photos here: http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk
just type King George Road in the search box top right hand side of page.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Swinman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Swinman »

Sorry it was King George Road :oops: Thanks for the link to the pictures, it looks like the road took a few hits during the air raids, so maybe her old house was among the unlucky ones.
Swinman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Swinman »

I meant King George Road, sorry :oops: Thanks for the link to the pictures, it looks like the street took a few hits during the air raids,so maybe their house was one of the unlucky ones.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Swinman wrote:I meant King George Road, sorry :oops: Thanks for the link to the pictures, it looks like the street took a few hits during the air raids,so maybe their house was one of the unlucky ones.
The photos are of the demolition of the estate in the last couple of years, to the best of my knowledge no bombs fell on King George Road.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

There was a lot of bomb damage done to King George Road and the surrounding area during a raid 9th April 1941.
Plenty of photos of the bomb damage on the link above, photos taken by Amy Celia Flagg 10th April 1941.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Mr Smith wrote:There was a lot of bomb damage done to King George Road and the surrounding area during a raid 9th April 1941.
Plenty of photos of the bomb damage on the link above, photos taken by Amy Celia Flagg 10th April 1941.
My apologies for not looking at the posted photos in full. Cannot remember seeing any pictures of bomb damage to the Cleadon end of King George Road before. I knew that houses around Cauldwell were bombed but not the others shown.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

There was an extensive bomb site on the corner of King George Rd and Moor Lane if I remember rightly. It eventually had houses built there.