The Penny Ha'penny Dodger

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Can anyone remember the year that the Bridge and Embankment were removed from next to the dairy?

Does anyone have any photos of it, before it went?
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry »

Urfa reminds me of when I lived in Stoddart Street from 1947. I used to stand at the open White's Dairy doors and watch him working. There was water everywhere, and I marvelled at the bottles as they rattled aong the metal rails, getting filled up with milk and capped by the machines.

These cardboard milk-bottle tops were prized by schoolboys at that time. We carried strings of them and were overjoyed if we captured exotic ones in our 'flick' games. I still remember the pang at losing a cerise one from some Cleadon dairy, I think. Boys are strange creatures; you'd never catch girls doing daft things like that.

A whitish wall ran all the way along Egerton Road. I went home under the Stanhope Road bridge, and there was a timber yard behind the dairy on that side, and a corresponding white wall running at least as far as the Impy cinema. I kicked a tennis ball against it often enough.

Between the walls lay the huge railway embankment, with strange electric locos - 'leckas' - droning along high above with pantographs clinging to the wires, their coal-trucks heading to mysterious destinations.

Urfa may recall that opposite Whitie's was a vacant area along Stanhope Road. If you went down the entrance, you found yourself in a sizeable underground air-raid shelter, complete with benches, toilets and so on. And it wasn't vandalised.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

There was also one of those underground air raid shelters across the road from Laygate school. We often dared each other to go down but most of the time we were too scared as it was like a labarynth and we were terrified of getting lost forever. We also collected milk bottle tops and also sauce bottle labels which we used to get from Lambs sauce factory just of Laygate Lane on Brunswick Street I think it was. Does anyone remember the crisp factory near the Seamens Mission on Commercial Road? in those days you could only buy salted crisps with the little blue bag of salt inside. AAh memories, how many more are going to be raised from the worn out old grey cells?
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I worked in that area a lot it was a pretty bad area in them days.
I was working on the back of a house in Talbot Road which backed onto Egerton Square, you'd be working on the roof and the kids would be hurling abuse and stones at us, we'd jump over the fence and chase them all over the square, it was terrible in there.

You mentioned Stoddart Street Jerry, my mate used to go out with a girl called Jean who lived near the bottom of that street she worked at wrights biscuit factory, blonde girl.

Cisco