Hospital on the Lawe

Local History for Tyne & Wear
fbg
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Hospital on the Lawe

Post by fbg »

Hi, I was searching the 1911 census for a great uncle and found him listed as a patient (15 year old schoolboy) The address was given as 15, The Lawe but doesn't give the name of the institution. Does anyone know what it was? Thanks
fbg
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Hospital on the Lawe

Post by fbg »

I've just found some more info, it wasn't a hospital despite the boys being described as "patients" It was Green's Industrial School, I don't know if it was for boys who had committed some misdemeanor or a training institution or perhaps both. I'd be grateful if anyone can shed anymore light on it
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

I cannot remember talk of Green's Home being on the Lawe, (that's not to say there wasn't ever one there) but I can certainly remember a big house just behind Bents Park (not a great distance from the Lawe) being called Green's Home. As a kid, if we misbehaved, were were told: "You'll end up in Green's Home". I think this was meant to be half a threat and half as a prediction. :shock: :lol:
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

I voted leave

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Green's Sailor Boys Institution, connected with the Wellesley Training Ship, founded 1875 and situated on the corner of Military Road and Mile End Road.

Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Well that seems very conclusive. Just out of interest then, anyone know the name of the children's home that I mentioned, that was behind Bents Park and not far from The South Marine Park?
fbg
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by fbg »

Thanks for the info everyone. I wonder why the address on the census is given as 15, The Lawe?
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

fbg wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. I wonder why the address on the census is given as 15, The Lawe?
Yes, odd that?
curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

There was an Auxiliary Home which was located at either 15 The Lawes or Lawe Road South Shields which was certified for 19 boys and ran until 1931 and had connections with GREENS HOME industrial school, mile end road, south shields, co. Durham.

Just follow the links that were posted. :D
JimmyB
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by JimmyB »

I believe that 15, The Lawe was on Lawe Rd. and it was a home for boys who were ex-T.S. Wellesley after WW1 and needed somewhere to stay whilst they re-intergrated into local society. The Training Ship "Wellesley" was a 19th century school preparing boys for a life at sea and housed up to 300 boys. It caught fire and was destroyed in 1914 and the boys were moved to the Palace Hotel, Whitley Bay (I think) for the duration of the war before a new school was created in Blyth. The Sunderland Social Services eventually took it over as a bit of a bad boy home in the 1960's I think. Now long gone.
Green's Home, Corner of Mile End Road & Military Rd. (where "Green's Flats" now stand on Greens Place) was started in 1875 as a gift from the Green family and I believe originally was for the same purpose as 15, The Lawe, but this didn't work out. It briefly became a hospital for the Wellesley ship before becoming "Green's Industrial School for Boys". They took boys age 7-12, generally from deprived backgrounds, before they passed to the Wellesley.
Incidentally, there was a Wellesley Hospital at 12, Green's Place from 1880's until 1911 with a resident Hospital Attendant and I can only presume this was connected to the TS Wellesley at the time. Records are very sketchy about this even though a Hospital is shown on the 1898 map, Janice Blower once said it must be related to the old hospital on Shadwell St. However, The Word has a number of copies of "Wade's Directory" that show the Hospital in Greens Place at these times. It became part of the next door Pilot Office in 1912. Any further info greatly appreciated.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

JimmyB wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm I believe that 15, The Lawe was on Lawe Rd. and it was a home for boys who were ex-T.S. Wellesley after WW1 and needed somewhere to stay whilst they re-intergrated into local society. The Training Ship "Wellesley" was a 19th century school preparing boys for a life at sea and housed up to 300 boys. It caught fire and was destroyed in 1914 and the boys were moved to the Palace Hotel, Whitley Bay (I think) for the duration of the war before a new school was created in Blyth. The Sunderland Social Services eventually took it over as a bit of a bad boy home in the 1960's I think. Now long gone.
Green's Home, Corner of Mile End Road & Military Rd. (where "Green's Flats" now stand on Greens Place) was started in 1875 as a gift from the Green family and I believe originally was for the same purpose as 15, The Lawe, but this didn't work out. It briefly became a hospital for the Wellesley ship before becoming "Green's Industrial School for Boys". They took boys age 7-12, generally from deprived backgrounds, before they passed to the Wellesley.
Incidentally, there was a Wellesley Hospital at 12, Green's Place from 1880's until 1911 with a resident Hospital Attendant and I can only presume this was connected to the TS Wellesley at the time. Records are very sketchy about this even though a Hospital is shown on the 1898 map, Janice Blower once said it must be related to the old hospital on Shadwell St. However, The Word has a number of copies of "Wade's Directory" that show the Hospital in Greens Place at these times. It became part of the next door Pilot Office in 1912. Any further info greatly appreciated.
A lot of interesting info there. Thank you.