You must be joking

Local History for Tyne & Wear
moltke
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

You must be joking

Post by moltke »

Does any one remember anything of a 'Joke Shop' in the vicinity of the pulley bank during the 1950's please?
Where was it exactly? Any memories of who ran it, what it sold, when it closed? A picture would be great! :D
geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: You must be joking

Post by geordielass »

cant remember a pully bank in so/shields only pully bank i know was the one from ferry landing up to borough rd n/shields i think there was a joke shop at bottom end of derby st but some older s,dancers will no doubt put me right
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I can remember one in the area which we used to go to on our way from Derby St baths.There was a pulley bank in that area too.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

the pulley bank went across the mineral line and was opposite the derby street baths, it was a very steep humpbacked bridge short and very steep. it was to help get the horses and carts up hence the name, crossed it many times in my youth.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass »

st bedes school was opposit the baths and further down was the joke shop on same side as school i used to go to st bedes and spend my half penny bus fare on an old newspaper full of broken wafers from the wafer factory on derby street. and then walk home to taylor street those were the days no health and safty then and funny but we never seemed to ail anything apart from the childhood illnesses measels chicken pox etc
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

You forgot to mention polio which killed and disabled so many children...also diptheria,whooping cough and of course measles killed off a lot of children. Just because we survived did not mean childhood was perfect. We were just lucky. Grandma lost 6 out of 12 kids.
geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass »

i mentioned the usual childhood illnesses, measels, chicken pox ETC i was reffering to the health hygine and safty aspect there was none of that then, that there is now, ie wafers, and fish n chips out of news papers, i know that polio & diptheria did take a lot of children but that was a bit before my time, we were immunised, and we were lucky we never lost any to illness, my grandmother lost a son but that was because he lied about his age to go to war and never came back, like many young men. but that was before i was born. kids had accidents and died, i lost a friend at derby st baths. in the 50s
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

I knew a girl who drowned in Derby Street baths, she lived at Laygate and
had a twin sister, probably the same girl you knew. They lived just behind
the Palace.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass »

that would be her. her name was pamela we were all there that night, my cousins the harrisons and me think i was about 10 and she was year or 2 younger than me, her older sister was called maureen a friend of our cathy, never forget it it was a horrible wet night and we stood in the rain waiting for her.
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Mary Pamela Shaw, her sister who was a little older was Christine Roma Shaw, we always called
them Pamela and Roma. I was mistaken in thinking they were twins.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.