South Shields Railways

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

South Shields Railways

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

Hey,
I am looking for information of old rail services in Shields - Routes, maps, which parts are accessible today - addresses of the old stations etc.
I do a lot of walking the old railway paths and put them on a blog (walk-north), and being from South Shields, albeit what seems an eternity ago, I really want to map as much as possible and get it on the blog.
Any help that anyone can give is greatfully accepted 8)

Cheers
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: South Shields Railways

Post by jimmywizz »

hi kenny, did you know that the original south shields train station stood behind what is B & Q today ? and upto just a few years ago you could still see the platform, its now a car park
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

Yeah, and it's shocking that they destroy these things...and for a car park!
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

where b&q are today used to be south shields goods yards used to be, the station was just past where halfords is today. feel free to correct if i'm wrong.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

This book may be helpful, it is certainly full of detail about South Shields railways. It is "Railways of South Shields" by Neil Sinclair and Ian Carr and was published by Tyne and Wear Museums Service in 1990. Maybe now out of print, but worth seeking out.

radstockjeff
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

if i remember you can still see the old gate into the yard, curly did post some photos of the place a few years ago on here but not sure where they are now
jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff »

You might also find the Old Ordnance Survey Maps useful. The Godfrey Editions cover the area around the turn of the last century. Numbers 3, 7 , 9, 14 15 and 16 cover the area in question.

radstockjeff
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

jeff wrote:This book may be helpful, it is certainly full of detail about South Shields railways. It is "Railways of South Shields" by Neil Sinclair and Ian Carr and was published by Tyne and Wear Museums Service in 1990. Maybe now out of print, but worth seeking out.

radstockjeff
Thanks for that :D will try and track it down. Got a few books titles sent to me from the Shields Library, but no mention of that one
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

jeff wrote:You might also find the Old Ordnance Survey Maps useful. The Godfrey Editions cover the area around the turn of the last century. Numbers 3, 7 , 9, 14 15 and 16 cover the area in question.

radstockjeff
Yeah, I was looking at the Godfrey editions...didn't realise I would need that many though! Thought tyneside 9 may cover the biggest part of what I needed...but no probs if that's the number I need!
Think I need a trip back home :D
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

jimmywizz wrote:if i remember you can still see the old gate into the yard, curly did post some photos of the place a few years ago on here but not sure where they are now
I've had a look through a few old posts...but there's that many that it's almost needle in a haystack time! lol but good reading too
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

little bit on here but unable to find some of curlys photos
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1532&p=24290&hilit=station#p24290
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

Hi, new to this site, wish I'd found it years ago. Anyway, you might a find a book called 'Rails between Wear and Tyne' by C.R. Warn very useful :)
Mariner_Kenny
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Mariner_Kenny »

jimmywizz wrote:little bit on here but unable to find some of curlys photos
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1532&p=24290&hilit=station#p24290
Ooh...will check that out later :D
Bladerunner wrote:Hi, new to this site, wish I'd found it years ago. Anyway, you might a find a book called 'Rails between Wear and Tyne' by C.R. Warn very useful :)
Cheers - that's another book to try 'track' doon........and some of the out of print stuff sells for silly money! Ouch! #-o
Bladerunner
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Bladerunner »

You might also find 'The South Shields, Marsden and Whitburn Colliery Railway' by William J. Hatcher a good read. You can buy that (and I think 'The Railways of South Shields') in the Discovery Museum shop. Or you could last time I was there which is admittedly a bit since.
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Bladerunner wrote:You might also find 'The South Shields, Marsden and Whitburn Colliery Railway' by William J. Hatcher a good read. You can buy that (and I think 'The Railways of South Shields') in the Discovery Museum shop. Or you could last time I was there which is admittedly a bit since.
I am a Kiwi and I can reccommend that book a cracken good read.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't