Family History late 1870 ish

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Yvonne
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Family History late 1870 ish

Post by Yvonne »

Hi all, new to this forum. I'm researching my family history particularly the Murray family who lived in this area. In 1871 they appear to be living at 'cottage in garden back of Reyken Dyke Lane'. My relative was described as an ironworker. In 1881 living at Laygate Square where he is described as a chemical labourer. Finally in 1891,102 Western Road. I have looked on google earth and think I can see that Laygate Sq was near what is now Commercial Road which looks to be just industrial units or similar now, but also listed in 1881 as near Laygate Lane and the Station Hotel?? Does any of this mean anything to anyone and is anything still standing or does anyone know where I could look at some photos of the area from that time? Also would anyone know what industry he would be working in? As an ironworker perhaps shipbuilding?? What would he be working in as a chemical labourer? Finally I think there may be a graveyard in Westoe. Could that possibly be where they ended up or does anyone know of any alternatives? I should imagine they were not well off. He and his wife were Irish and settled in South Shields via Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Many thanks for anyone with any insights. All the best. Yvonne in Birmingham. :)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Family History late 1870 ish

Post by jimmywizz »

hi Yvonne glad to see you made it on here, i am sure someone will be able to give you a bit more info in a few days
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

All of the addresses you mention above Yvonne were withing 200 yards of Trinity Church which was
at High Shields as was the Station Hotel, the exception would be Western Road which was in Jarrow
which in this days came under the South Shields umbrella. I lived in the Laygate vicinity for quite a
few years prior to 1953 so got to know it very well. Westoe Cemetery is still there, although most
of the gravestones no longer exist. Your relative almost certainly worked in Taylors Iron Foundry on
Laygate Street, which was a very short distance from where was living. For any old photos of South
Shields or the vicinity of Trinity Church you can search this site
http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk/ just type in the search High Shields, Trinity Church or
Laygate, there are lots of very old photos of the area.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
Yvonne
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Yvonne »

Mr Smith - thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated. All the best. Yvonne
geordielass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by geordielass »

hi i remember lots of graves at trinity church your relatives could be burried there