Corner Shops

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Corner Shops

Post by Alice »

Isn't it a shame there are no more corner shops where the owners had time to talk with you and know you. The house i bought was a shop and a flat at one time what memmories it must hold. :)
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

there were no corner shops in roman days
brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

They wern't silly thats why they built them straight.

I know what Alice means though, I can rember the one at the end of the road in Jarrow where my Gran lived, it was the lovely smells of food mixed with parrafin, firewood, polish, soap and just about everything else you could think of. The nearest thing to it is "Arkrights" in open all hours.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!
Alice
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Alice »

Don't sound that old, Brian that is what i ment, where you could go in and they sold everything and anything and if they did not have it they would get it for you, with no problem. :D
baldy.smith

Corner Shops

Post by baldy.smith »

When I lived in Havelock Street; Laygate there were about eight corner shops whose address was Havelock Street. We lived in a flat above a greengrocers (corner of Palmerston Street), oppposite was a little shop selling groceries, owned by the King family who moved to Australia in the early 50s. On the other corner was a fish and chip shop and finally the Havelock pub. In the rest of the street there was another greengrocers and three shops which one would class as small general dealers. At the top of the street there was also a shop which sold horse meat and tripe etc. As you can imagine we lived on a very busy corner, there were several other shops in the side streets all within a couple of hundred feet of our house.
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I remeber those corner shops, I lived in Back Eldon street around 1944/7
my mother was registered with hanlons on the corner of Eldon st. and laygate lane, although there was fish and chip shops nearer to us we liked Hansons on the corner of Laygate and Alice Street, sixpence foa a fish and three pence for chips, happy days. Take care, urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

That was about the time we moved into Havelock Street, just before the war ended until 1953/4 when we moved to Quarry Lane at the Marsden end. You must remember Fenwicks in Back Eldon Street, he hired out wheel barrows for 6d a day and was also a coal man with a huge horse and 2 wheeled cart; I have mentioned this in another post. There was also the shop on the corner of back Eldon Street and Havelock Street. I remember a few years back there was an article about Fenwick and his horse in the Shields Gazette and it was claimed to be the biggest horse in the North of England and possibly in England.
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

corner shops

Post by urfa »

It apears to me that we must of lived very close to one another, I remember well Fenwicks Barrows, hired on faily regulary, also dumped a few cloth rags off at Haratty's. My first job in 1946 was with Welsh Potts' the butcher in Laygate lane, eventually worked for Vasey's fish monger in laygate Lane and then they moved to Frederick St. Vasey had long retired of course his son-in-law Harvey Davies tok it over after he (vasey retired) Best wishes Urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Gawd! you're even older than me! In 1946 I was attending Trinity School prior to moving on to Mortimer Road School. I think I have previously stated that I lived at 20 Havelock Street exactly opposite the pub The Havelock and we lived in two rooms above the greengrocers shop on the corner of Havelock Street and Palmerston Street. :wink:
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor »

Beefheart..... There were Corner Shops.

Go to Pompeii if you dont believe me.
I always value Pilots wit and input
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Anyone remember 'Charlies' which was on the corner of South Palmerston street and Frederick Street ((thinks)) sometimes used to go for my mams messages there :D
Also Brenda Taskas dad shop was further along and Redpaths was on So Eldon Street, bought many an Aztec bar from there and Dandy Beano Sparky and Beezer from the yellow paper shop...(reaches for zimmer frame)
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Remember Fenwicks barrows. When I was a kid one of our neighbours Billy Campbell used to hire a barrow to sell bundles of sticks round the doors.
Babooshka I remember all the shops you mention. You are right about the location of Charlies. It used to be a fruit shop called Weetmans. The papershop used to ne originally called Macauleys.
Taskas shop is still there. We moved from the area about ten years ago.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Taskas is still there?? blimey..and wasn't Aureas hairdressers further along, now a crappy glazer/joiners shop? My mam took me in there for a neat pageboy haircut >>>cringes with embarassment<<< :oops: :D :oops: (a bob) and I came out with a perm, she went ballistic!!
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

Be very careful Babooshka the crappy joiners/glaziers was owned partly by a family member of mine! I don't mind really. It was a bit like Steptoes yard. The hairdressers has long gone. It used to be Elizabeths when I got my first perm there!
Do you remember Raes bakery as well.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Sorry Delilahcat, I should have put my usual 'sorry if anyone knows them/loves them' clause at the end of my post..no offence but that company done some work for me in the 80's and I wasn't so happy about it.

..yeah I remember Raes on the corner of Barnes Rd very well, used to get a nice warm penny bun there before going into school, they sold lovely bread.
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri »

talking of bakers, does anyone remember the one on the corner between anderson st and erskine rd? Dont remember what it was called but they did make nice bread
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I think you mean on the corner of Salisbury Street and Broughton Road. I remember the shop but not the name. I lived in Salisbury Street for about three years. Anderson Street is a continuation of Salisbury Street towards Ocean Road. Used that bakers quite a lot as it was the nearest one to our house.

Actually I think it may have been Swans Bakers, in fact I'm sure it was.

8)
gtirbri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gtirbri »

yes thats the one, I think you could be right about the name too
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart »

Memor, there were no corner shops in Roman days because the roads were straight with no corners .......................my effort at humour
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

:lol: good one captain :wink:
Another way of British life gone. :cry:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here