Corner Shops

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Oh I dont know! There are still many Indian run corner shops. They came to England to rescue our culture, working long hours for little money, because the English cant be arsed with working hard for their money! :wink:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I'm now convinced that Mr A is the worst case of paranoia I have ever encountered.

8)
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Jim_in_France wrote:Oh I dont know! There are still many Indian run corner shops. They came to England to rescue our culture, working long hours for little money, because the English cant be arsed with working hard for their money! :wink:
You gotta admire that y'know, people literally land here and carve out successful businesses from scratch? loads of people like that in London too - everywhere infact. Puts some of us to shame really, it's like a case of sink or swim and they damn well swim hard.

Mr Baldysmith..yeah :lol:
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

I have had another look at this topic, and talking about bakeries as I said before we lived in back Eldon St. and my mother would wake me up at 5 AM to go to Holmans bakery in Portberry Way, she had learned that the night shift didn't bother with the ration coupens, but the day shift did after 6AM
the bread was fresh out of the oven and I used to hold it close to my chest for the warmth, when I got home she was still in bed and she said now that you are up, light the fire, :( regards Urfa
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
urfa
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by urfa »

PS
by the way the bread cost forpence half penny 8)
G,day from down under, I am an expat from s.s. many years ago, this is a great site keep the good work up Matt
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I remember Holmans bakery. There were loads of family run bakeries and everyone bought their bread daily. Then came the advent of the sliced loaf and lots of them went out of business. I remember Salkelds bakery in South Eldon Street and Hugh Robsons in Dean Road. Both long gone.
rossinisbird
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rossinisbird »

Wights in North Shields is always worth a visit - just a short walk from the ferry landing. Their patter is always entertaining.

If you want a proper bakers, we still have the excellent Barry McRae's at Harton Village.

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
Victor Stenger
Sigsy
Big Gob
Big Gob

Allens

Post by Sigsy »

Does anyone remember allens in laygate they had their own instore coins
cant remember how it worked though might have been something to do with a provvy or archer lee
if you don't ask you don't get. ( i don't get when i do ask usually)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi sigsy, some of the coins were made of metal, but the 50p ones were made of cardboard as i worked for the firm that made them
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

here is one of the metal ones on our main website
http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... e_coin.htm
StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

I remeber Allens Stores at Laygate too. They had a Childrens ride indoors, bit like a see-saw but too expensive for me to ride on. I would winge to me mam for a go but she never faltered!