J SUMMERBELL?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
John Millard
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

J SUMMERBELL?

Post by John Millard »

J Summerbell gave a painting to South Shields museum & Art Gallery some time before 1976. Does anyone know who he (she?) is?

The painting is a portrait of Ralph Cruickshanks (1832/3-1907) a South Shields ferry boatman who found looked after a renowned lost dog, Wandering Willie, who isa now, I believe, in a glass case in the Turk's Head, Front Street, Tynemouth. Ralph Cruickshanks's daugher Amelia married Robert Summerbell in 1894, so I'm wondering if it was one of his descendants who donated his portrait to the museum.

The painting is by the Tyneside artist Ralph Hedley, and the reason I'm interested is that I'm researching Ralph Hedley with Hedley's great-granddaughter. We aim to put information about him and his pictures on the web.
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Re: J SUMMERBELL?

Post by hencree »

many years ago there was a builder in Shields by the name of Summerbell, i think his premises were in boldon lane. Cuold there be some connection?
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Robert W Summerbell married Amelia Cruickshank 0n 19th June 1984.
There was an Elizabeth Jane Summerbell born 1895, but the most
likely candidate would be John James Summerbell born in first quarter
of 1896. Unfortunately not knowing the approximate age of the J
Summerbee you are looking for it is impossible to say. The one you
are looking for could be a grandchild or great grandchild and had the
painting passed down to them.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
John Millard
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by John Millard »

Impressive responses from Hencree and Mr Smith. Thanks.

The last I know of Amelia Cruichshanks after she had married Robert Summerbell is that they lived in Beattie Street with a son Robert Summerbell -

CENSUS 1911 - 10 Beattie St South Shields RG14PN30329 RG78PN1745B RD556 SD1 ED70 SN87
SUMMERBELL, Robert Head Married 16 years M 42 1869 Builder And Joiner Durham South Shields VIEW
SUMMERBELL, Amelia Wife Married F 42 1869 Durham South Shields
SUMMERBELL, Robert William Son Single M 15 1896 Apprentice Joiner Durham South Shields

So I guess I'll have to be satisfied that J. Summmerbell who gave a painting of Ralph Cruickshanks to the museum some time before 1976, was probably a descendant of theirs!

I's be fgrateful for any more thoughts!