Market Pubs

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Thats it!!! I remembered it just as I came back.

I had better not say anymore then! :shock:
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Actually. That Quadrini bloke is a lovely fella! Honest as the day is long etc. etc. etc.

How was that baldy? Do you think that will make amends? :lol: :lol:

Oscar Wilde
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Makes no difference to me Jim, as I have said I don't know them personally. I did many years ago have to go to their Ice Cream factory but can't remember who it was I met there, it is all way back more than 30 years ago.

8)
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Micheal Quadrini. I remember he had a run in with Gateshead council over his water rates some years ago. Refused to pay as his nightclub floats on the stuff! :lol: Needless to say, he lost! :roll:

What did you go to his factory for, baldy? You didnt have a violin case with you.....Did You? :lol:

Oscar Wilde
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

No! having left Shields and getting married to an Italian, I went into the ice cream business; hence a lot of contact with Italians in the North East. We used to make and sell Ice Cream and lollies etc to other businesses in the North. I found 99.9% of the Italian community to be very nice and hospitable and you were always given a cup of proper coffee and sometimes you were made to have a meal with them (if you timed it right) they never take no for an answer. so it was eat up and shut up. :wink:

8)
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Yes I know baldy, they are very nice people. My brother in law is Greek and I mixed with a lot of Greeks and Italians in Australia. Love their grub and very friendly.

Oscar Wilde
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jim I had'nt heard anything about the gangster floating in the Tyne.

I've never been on the Tuxedo Princess but my son's friend worked there as a bouncer and a medic, he said it was a right trouble spot with fights every weekend, some of the injury's he has seen have been horrific.

From what I've heard there is a bit of a take over going on in Newcastle concerning a major family in Newcastle.

Cisco
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

baldy.smith wrote:Cisco - check your pm box.

8)
Baldy, did you get my reply because I'm not sure if it went.

Cisco
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Cisco wrote:Jim I had'nt heard anything about the gangster floating in the Tyne.

I've never been on the Tuxedo Princess but my son's friend worked there as a bouncer and a medic, he said it was a right trouble spot with fights every weekend, some of the injury's he has seen have been horrific.

From what I've heard there is a bit of a take over going on in Newcastle concerning a major family in Newcastle.

Cisco
Cisco. The Tuxedo Princes was originally an up market place (When I used to go) But I did hear its become a trouble spot.

As for the family takeover, I can only think of 3 possibles. The T family The C family or the Ermmmm.....I forgot their name family :?

As for the floater. I cant for the life of me think of his name. But I once slagged him off to someone in the north, but they said he was quite a nice bloke. I remember it was a case of..."Did he fall...or was he pushed"

Remembered in bed last night. The other family is the S family
Last edited by Jim_in_France on Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oscar Wilde
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Nothing in my pm box Cisco.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jim, it is the S family I'm talking about, I think we are on the same page with that letter.

Cisco
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

Yes Cisco. I think the Say family are one of the main ones, along with the Con family. Ta family are played out now. They have "retired" and are called "Businessmen". :lol:

Oscar Wilde
Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jim_in_France »

I hearly came unstuck once Cisco. I was legless in a bar in Newcastle. The barman was a good friend of mine as well as a good friend of the Say family. One of whom was stood next to me with his wife. I was swearing to my mate the barman, when John turned to me an said. "Less of the language, there's a lady present" I replied...."Do you mean that old bag next to you?" You could hear a pin drop in the bar! Our mutual mate, the barman saved my neck. :oops:

Oscar Wilde
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I think you had one lucky escape there Jim as John is the main man of that family.

Cisco
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

post subject

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Used to go in the back room of the Old Nunnery in the corner of the Market where the Commando is when I was 15. Another pub was the Willie Wouldhalve known to everyone as the boiled oil.
About 20 years ago was doing a job in Jersey and got talking to an ex seaman and he asked me if the Two F***S bar was still open. I had never heard of it so phoned my father and he said he means The Norfolk and Suffolk at the back of the Trams Bar.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I remember the Norfolk and Suffolk well. It was one of the pubs replaced when the Market Place was redeveloped. We then got the City of Durham, Mermaids Tale, Commando, The Brigantine and some very ugly sixties office buildings. Our weekend nights would start at the Ship and Royal then the General Havelock, the Golden Lion then round the pubs in the Market finishing up at the Ferry. Used to see the same people in the same pubs at the same time. Happy Days!
The Douglas Vaults used to be notorious for under age drinking. Most kids in South Shields had their first drink there. When we were young 'uns we used to go to pubs around Wouldhave Street before a night at Baileys Cellar Club in Beach Road. Only served soft drinks back in the late fifties early sixties so you needed to have a drink before you went there.
Anybody else used to go there? I was such a regular that they'd let me in on tick when I didn't have any money ( I was still at school)
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

My first pint in a bar was in Queen Street.

I can't remember if it was the Queens Head or the Golden Lion or something.

Anyone know the pubs that used to be there ?
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Cisco wrote:I think you had one lucky escape there Jim as John is the main man of that family.

Cisco
Close shaves with BIG guys.

I used to go out with a girl about 16-17 yrs ago called Julie from Wardley.

She was only 21ish, I was 34ish :D

Trouble was her long term boyfriend was about 40-50 and a very large chap who lived in Burradon. Forget his name, a Newcastle bouncer, who I later on found out had chased someone near the Tux Princess with a shotgun.

I had a couple of near misses with him ( coming out of her house, just as he was coming into the street ) etc.

So needless to say I discontinued that relationship, even though she was a nice lass. But she was unsure whether to get rid of him or not. So all that emotional stuff. :roll:

Anyway I was in THE STUDIO which I think used to be the Oxford Rooms, with my mate Jimmy Mulholland.

We were having a slurp, when I saw Julie with a girl, I went over to say hello and see how she was getting on. Chatting for a few minutes when this large shadow blocked out the disco lights.

IT WAS HIM, with an equally large friend.

"Wot the f**k you doing here" :shock:

" Just having a drink with my mate and thought I'd say hello "

" WOT mate"?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

" oh he must of gone for a p*ss"

His mate then steps in

" Lets take him outside "

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I ignore it and says

" How you doing anyway, Julie says everythings fine "

His mate steps in again.

" I'll drag the b*****d out "

" Are you working him with your foot ?" I says

He says

" No... now f**k off "

This could be with Julie now saying

"Just leave him alone "

I was off like a shot.........

Couldn't find Jimmy anywhere :lol:
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Axeman wrote:My first pint in a bar was in Queen Street.

I can't remember if it was the Queens Head or the Golden Lion or something.

Anyone know the pubs that used to be there ?
It could have been the Black and Grey Axeman or the Golden Lion.
The Black and Grey was in Queen Street and the back entrance of the Golden Lion was opposite, you could go into the Lion in King Street walk through to the bar at the back have a pint and go out the back door cross the lane into the Black and Grey.

Further down in Queen Street you had the back entrance of the Bridge which led into the bar, it also had it's front entrance in King Street.

Cisco
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

The Black and Grey !

Well done Cisco that's the one.

I would of been about 16 at the time, remember crapping myself when the cops used to do their little group walk through the pubs checking everyone out.

Never seen that happen for a long time ??

Then I found out a few weeks later, the fat oldish guy we sometimes used to play darts with, was actually an off duty policeman.

Guess he thought as long as we weren't arses we were ok.