old streets

Local History for Tyne & Wear
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

old streets

Post by rusty »

any kind soul out there who can tell me if the following streets still exist; Livingstone Street/ Thrift Street/Keppel Street & Regent Street.Photos would be a bonus.

Thanks
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: old streets

Post by Mr Smith »

rusty wrote:any kind soul out there who can tell me if the following streets still exist; Livingstone Street/ Thrift Street/Keppel Street & Regent Street.Photos would be a bonus.

Thanks
Only Keppel Street left as far as I know.

If you want to see hundreds of old photos of the streets etc in South Shields look at this link

http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk/
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: old streets

Post by ralph »

Rusty, I think Mr Smith is probably right about the streets that are left, and even Kepple Street is much altered these days. Livingstone Street was not very far from where I lived until I was 21, and when in the senior school at Ocean Road, I used to pass it each day on the way there.

Most of the houses in that area were very similar, being terraced up and down flats. Some had four rooms downstairs and three rooms upstairs. Others were two up and two down. The streets had back lanes between them, and each pair of flats shared a back yard. The 'shared' lavatory was at the top of the back yard - terrible in winter - especially when the water pipes to the cistern froze. :(

I am, posting a picture of me in our back yard, when a 17 year old lad. The head of my sister can be seen at the bottom. She's now a grandma, soon to have a third grandchild. :D

Livingstone Street, and the other streets that stood near-bye are remembered by having the replacement streets given similar names - I think Livingstone Place stands where the old street was. It will give you an idea of what the houses looked like.

The site of our old house is now under Hadrian School.