New book about Shields History

Local History for Tyne & Wear
shieldsgypsy
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

New book about Shields History

Post by shieldsgypsy »

Just seen a new book about Shields. Its by Laura Tabili who is a professor of history from Arizona University (not sure if she has ever been to Shields?!!) The book is called 'Global Migrants and Local culture: Natives and Newcomers in provincial England 1841-1939. She seems to be pointing out that while alot of people think that the arrival of migrants from outside the UK after 1948 disrupted British society, in actual fact there were large populations of 'foreigners' like the arabs in Shields many years before. I read the first chapter on the net and she has obviously done alot of research, but methinks I wont be buying it as its over £50, or at least till the paperback version comes out! I am pleased that she thinks that Shields history is worth that much!
ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: New book about Shields History

Post by ralph »

When books are priced that high, not to many people will fork out for them. Even libraries, facing closure and cut-backs will be reluctant to shell out on that one. The chances are that she is just pulling together information that other local authors have written in the past and there may be little in it that isn't already known.