Old photographers that are well known in South Shields?

Local History for Tyne & Wear
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Old photographers that are well known in South Shields?

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Pilot wrote:And a canny walk there and back pete, Ive been trying to remember a school mate of mine called Hill lived on Prince Edward Road near the Marsden inn end on the left as you faced the pub cant remember his first name, any ideas pete, he was my age so maybe a couple of years younger than you.
That would be Prince Edward Grove, knew a couple of lads from there,family names Lowe and Adie, believe the two lads I knew ended up in Australia.There was a family called Hill who lived behind Prince Edward Road in Lake Avenue and also a lad called Davey Hill who lived the nook side of Redwell, he was my neighbour in Jarrow till he died about 10 years ago.Has not been in the paper yet but an old neighbour of mine Pam Johnstons brother Percy was found dead last week in a hotel in Plymouth. Their family lived at the top of P.E.Rd. near the Marsden Inn, the father old Percy was a Police sergeant, young Percy would be about 62.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Frank Lowe, does that ring a bell Pete ?
I voted leave

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Pilot wrote:Frank Lowe, does that ring a bell Pete ?
Thats the one Pilot,think his father worked on the buses,am sure Frank went to Australia.
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

He was in my class at Horsley Hill Juniors, not seen or heard of him for 50 years :D
I voted leave

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Having read the submission about a photographer being killed on Cleadon Hills, I wondered about the circumstances. I 'Googled' Cleadon Hills' and 'death' and came across a page on the Northumbria Police site, and there found an entry dated January 2007 about a keen amateur photographer called Lee Phipps (31) who had set off for Cleadon Hills from his home in King George Road, to photograph a new snowfall there.

He had spoken on the phone to his mother and told her he was on the 'Ash Path', and that's the last she heard from him. His body was found slumped in a doorway in Cleadon Hill Road. A 21 year old man, Scott Trevor Nicholls was convicted of the murder (robbery being the motive), but there is a fascinating account of how the forensic evidence led to the conviction.

It is a very sad and tragic story of how a man lost his life fighting his attacker, who thought he was carrying a camcorder that he was intent upon stealing. It is well worth reading, and demonstates how easy it is to become the victim of serious crime.
Jimmyson
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Jimmyson »

I remember that guy getting killed up the hills quite a few years ago absolute disgrace.

Aidan, Bill Clavery was Sean's dad who I was with friends with and his brother William who was older, Bill for short and his dad the man you are asking about is well known and always used to show his sons friends photos of old shields and that... great memories. I'm not too sure about his whereabouts in Shields or even if he is still alive, but I do know Bill the son gets in Lord Clyde until it closed and the old name Brunnie which is now Whispers, if old enough go for drink in either and ask about.
barnacle
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by barnacle »

William Clavery was a photographer who during his life took many photos of of south shields, there is a dvd out called
Willian Clavery a man and his camera, a woman called Janet Wylie edited the photos and comments on the dvd the photos are mostly about the Laygate area of shields, as I was born in Palmerston st in 1944 the photos bring back many memories. i believe you can hire the dvd from the library

barnacle
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

If you lived in the Laygate area in the 1940s an 1950s the above dvd is an essenial purchase. The photographs are amazing and bring back lots of memories.