eureka pub

Local History for Tyne & Wear
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

eureka pub

Post by hencree »

i drove down old Frederick st. yesterday evening and was saddened to see that scaffolding has gone around th eureka pub ready for demolition. i couldn't help but think about the laughter and sadness that has gone throurgh those doors over the many years of the pub being open, two world wars, the depression, the coronation, plus many other family occasions. and lets not forget the sad death of Mr Deka Kennedy only recently just out side the pub. if those walls could talk what tales they could tell. So come on Old Codgers what are your memories of the old pub?

edit by jimmy you can find the pub on here http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... aygate.htm
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: eureka pub

Post by Delilahcat »

Well I have two second hand tales. My late husband used to call at the 'Euk' for a pint if he was working a half shift at Readheads.
The manager then was Jimmy Wilkinson or 'Wilka' as he was known, bit of a hard nut. Wilka got into an argument with one of his customers Griff who'd left a pram - which he used to collect rags and scrap - parked outside the pub. Wilka bounced a full bottle of Brown Ale off Griff's head splitting it open before barring him. Despite the split head Griff begged for the ban to be lifted as all his mates got in there.
The second one was when a bloke was playing fives and threes. His irate partner 'big Kathy' came in demanding he come home as his dinner was on the table He took no notice so she came back and hit him over the head with a coal shovel. Didn't half mess up the game with all the blood.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

lived next door to it in ww2.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
geordienell
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by geordienell »

i remember on fridays going to frederick street with my mam and nana my sister and i used to walk on the walls outside peoples houses a great game to us...i used to go with my nana she would go in the pork shop and she would buy herself tripe and i would have a saveloy when we got to the euk pub she would make me go down the back lane then we could eat our treat as she wouldnt eat in the main street,she was a great nana and is sadly missed.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by trebor »

I know progress has to happen but for what price. The eureka is a great looking building, with a lifetime of memories for probably all the people that search this site.

I remember waiting outside for me dad and getting the traditional packet of crisps and a bottle of pop and being told "I will be five minutes" Its been there all my life and what ever they build to replace it will be just another example of souless architecture that wont still look great in a hundred years time as the pub still looks today.

I hope somebody has thought to take some pictures as in a week it will be just a memory.
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

I have already taken some pictures of the pub and intend to take some more of it gradually disappearing. It seems funny that they started the demolition of Frederick St. with the Eureka when the rest of the street has been left to go to wreck and riun by the present day owners,who are only interested in getting maximum compensation from the council. what happened to compulsory purchase orders. Going down the back-lanes of Frederick St. the buildings are in a deplorable state and it makes me wonder how they are still standing up. i reckon a good strong gale and some of them will come down, probably resulting in someone getting hurt or killed, then the unscruplious landlords will say "but i didnt know". The only building worth saving will soon be gone, the same as many similar buildings in past years.
martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

when I was at school we used to go the eureka at dinnertime, because Russell Wilkinson who Iused to go to school with his dad was the manager in 1969/71
Pooter
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pooter »

Here's the pub in January 1988 looking a bit worse for wear.

mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Why stop at the Eureka? Bulldoze the whole of Frederick street, it's an embarrassment to the town. :oops:
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

i was a lodger upstairs for 6 months around 86.my parent were close friends
of the landlady and she put them up while they were in between houses.
back by popular demand
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

the white bay window on the right of the picture is where i lived.
Last edited by siam sam on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm taking a trip mates.
trebor
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by trebor »

Did that used to be carrs the butchers in the 70s-80s?
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

trebor wrote:Did that used to be carrs the butchers in the 70s-80s?
yep,jimmy carr owned and ran it with the help of his wife berris .last time i done a bit work for them they lived in hope st jarrow.really nice couple.
back by popular demand
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

would that be carrs at the nook, i know les carr very well he had a shop in new green street.
i'm taking a trip mates.
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

siam sam wrote:would that be carrs at the nook, i know les carr very well he had a shop in new green street.
i`m sure jimmy was related to les ,brother maybe ?
back by popular demand
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

jimmy died last month
bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo »

oh bollocks thats a shame .sless,a lad you know used to work for jim
can`t remember his name but i`m sure he is an electrician.
ring any bells ?
back by popular demand