DEAN ROAD (the deans end)

Local History for Tyne & Wear
mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: DEAN ROAD (the deans end)

Post by mr-angry »

andysfootball wrote:and your love for foreigners!!!!
Nothing wrong with Sikh's or Hindu's, that's probably why India is overtaken England.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

Delilahcat wrote:My uncle,George Lynn used to work for Hanlons as a manager and they were taken over by Moores.
I did not live in Malvern street until 1963 but used to have friends around Dean Terrace, a girl called Ann Murray who had a brother Eddie or Ted. The name Copping also rings a bell. Used to get my coal from Bob Youngs before we changed to gas fires.
Here's a couple of pics from dean tce
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

My thanks to "EDDIEG" for the pics of the six lads and the one of the mams in Dean Tce backlane I can remember a lot of the women on that pic. but one I would like to know is the name of the lady standing second from the left, next to Mrs. Copping who is first on the left, others I recognise are:- Mrs.Blackburn, Mrs. robson, Mrs.Watson, I think Mrs. Stokell, Mrs Johnson, and Mrs. Sutton the boy standing on the right I am sure is Jeffrey Robson. I am also sure it is the party we all had to celebrate the queens coronation I can remember one woman (Mrs. Wilkinson) standing on a box and singing "I Believe" it was great. For delilahcat I also knew Ann Murray and she did have a brother called Ted, he had a BSA Gold Star motorbike, I remember one night during the dark nights he and Alan Robson got dressed up as ghosts in white sheets, as all of us kids were playing "leave-ago" until one of us saw the "ghosts"; we soon forgot the game and started daring each other to go up the lane, bear in mind there was no lighting in the lanes then they were pitch dark; Ted and Allen would dart from one backyard to another while we all ran like hell when we spotted them, we all had good fun that night.
The six lads on the other photo were David Catchpole, Billy Blackburn, Billy Hodgson, Brian Copping, the lad front centre I am not sure of but the other lad is Eddie Gillings, I remember when he and Billy Hodgson tried to make a canoein their backyard out of thin bits of wood, string and old cloth, they intended to cover it with tar to waterproof it, needless to say it never got finished. All in all they were happy days down there, surrounded by good people. So come on Sanddancers more memories please :D =D>
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

As I mentioned I didn't live in the Dean Road area until 1963 but as a child lived in South Eldon Street opposite St Marys church. It was a different world then and kids used to roam far and wide. A lot of my friends lived on or around Dean Road and we'd play around there. The pictures of the snow brought back a few memories. My dad made me a sledge and we used to go down Temple Street managing to swerve before we went int South Eldon Street and under a trolley bus.
At the front of Dean Terrace was a slope planted with trees and bushes which we called 'the crater' I think a bomb had been dropped there during the war. It was heavily overgrown and great for sliding down. We were frequently chased by irate householders when there were a lot of us making a racket. Next to the Methodist church was the church hall. On Friday nights the Boys Brigade band would practice. If you were in my friend's house a couple of doors along the whole place would be shaking as the drums were banging and the bugles blowing.
hencree
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by hencree »

The Crater as we all knew it ( and it's still called that today) was indeed where a land mine dropped during the last war I have some photos of the actual crater left by the mine; all of the windows were blown out, and a lot of the roof slates were blown off, none of the houses escaped damage. I don't know how to put photos on the threads, but you can see them on Facebook, "photos of old South Shields" there are about 5000 old photos on there and if you are interested in old photos then this site is a must. my mate Joe lived two doors from the sunday school next to the chapel, his sister was Margaret.
The best place for sledging was the top of whitehead st.it was a steep old bank but as you say Delilahcat we also had to watch we didn't end up under the buses. I do however seem to remember a couple of kids being killed on the railway line that ran paralell to Corney St. I think they were from the Deans estate :( : I know they were always pinching coal from the waggons on the coal line beside Stanhope School, some times the bottom boards would be dropped by them and you could see loads of people from the Deans humping bags of coal along the line. it seems so funny when you look back :lol:
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

hencree wrote:My thanks to "EDDIEG" for the pics of the six lads and the one of the mams in Dean Tce backlane I can remember a lot of the women on that pic. but one I would like to know is the name of the lady standing second from the left, next to Mrs. Copping who is first on the left, others I recognise are:- Mrs.Blackburn, Mrs. robson, Mrs.Watson, I think Mrs. Stokell, Mrs Johnson, and Mrs. Sutton the boy standing on the right I am sure is Jeffrey Robson. I am also sure it is the party we all had to celebrate the queens coronation I can remember one woman (Mrs. Wilkinson) standing on a box and singing "I Believe" it was great. For delilahcat I also knew Ann Murray and she did have a brother called Ted, he had a BSA Gold Star motorbike, I remember one night during the dark nights he and Alan Robson got dressed up as ghosts in white sheets, as all of us kids were playing "leave-ago" until one of us saw the "ghosts"; we soon forgot the game and started daring each other to go up the lane, bear in mind there was no lighting in the lanes then they were pitch dark; Ted and Allen would dart from one backyard to another while we all ran like hell when we spotted them, we all had good fun that night.
The six lads on the other photo were David Catchpole, Billy Blackburn, Billy Hodgson, Brian Copping, the lad front centre I am not sure of but the other lad is Eddie Gillings, I remember when he and Billy Hodgson tried to make a canoein their backyard out of thin bits of wood, string and old cloth, they intended to cover it with tar to waterproof it, needless to say it never got finished. All in all they were happy days down there, surrounded by good people. So come on Sanddancers more memories please :D =D>
Mrs Copping was my Gran and Brian my Uncle.They lived next door to a man called Sanderson,everyone knew him a sandy.Bernie Williams the barbour lived down the tce.He used to come and cut my Grandad hair.Think he had a shop in Sth Eldon st.Can you remember the Battery.As a kid Iused to meet Brian from Taylors foundry.I used to along the Battery and then across the ash to get there.
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

My dad Jack Rossiter worked at Taylor's Foundry for over fifty years.
We lived in South Eldon Street and the main Newcastle to Shields railway ran on a bridge across the street. The railway embankment we called the batteries. A couple of youngsters got killed there so we were warned to keep away by our parents. Of course we took no notice and still climbed the fence and put pennies on the line so the train would flatten them. We kids believed that the passing trains took a photograph of you as they passed so when a train came alond we'd flatten ourselves in the grass and hide.
Used to cross the Ash to take my dad's bait to him when he was working a half shift. You had to pass the allotments where Johnny Campbell kept pigs holding your nose because of the pig swill he boiled up then past Dickie Burr's allotment where he sold his vegetables. A travelling fair would set up there in the summer
My great aunt Kate ( Mrs Baker ) lived on Whitehead Street bank right at the top just before the garage. She and all the other old dears would put ashes on the paths when the snow fell because it was so steep and people could barely keep their footing in bad weather. Great for sledging.
eddieg
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by eddieg »

Any Idea why it was called the battery.Was there an anti aircraft gun there maybe?
rusty
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rusty »

My memory of Deans road area centres on the Council trolley depot,grandad,uncle and auntie worked for the transport side of the council.Also remember a car spray shop to the rear of the trolley bus depot still remember the paint smell.
searcher77
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by searcher77 »

I went to Dean road school known as Dean rd county sec mixed modern school